TPMS reset

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I, too, am having this same problem on my EX. I've been to the dealer twice, they just reset it, although the second trip in they did inspect the tires to make sure they're okay and they are. I'll be a little peeved if I have to go in for a 3rd time if this light comes back on. Seems like there might be an issue here.
My TPMS just went off for a second time since I've owned it (only 700 miles on vehicle). The second episode followed another trip on the interstate just like before. I checked all tires and they are set to the recommended pressure.
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
My TPMS just went off for a second time since I've owned it (only 700 miles on vehicle). The second episode followed another trip on the interstate just like before. I checked all tires and they are set to the recommended pressure.
But did you reset--tell it that the current value is OK--once confirming the correct pressure?

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
But did you reset--tell it that the current value is OK--once confirming the correct pressure?
Yes, I reset it the first time. After driving it a while, it happened again.

I just left the dealer (I was there to pick up another car that was being serviced). I showed them the TPMS warning and they said it happens a lot when the temperature fluctuates from cold-to-hot like it has been recently. I would have thought that all the tires would be affected equally, and hence no warning should happen.

The funny part is, when they went to check the pressure (which I had just checked with two gauges), they said they were very low and started to fill them. I told him to stop after he had inflated the first one because I knew that they were already full. After I challenged him, a second technician pulled out a professional, calibrated hand-held digital gauge and the first technician had inflated my one tire to 55 psi (20 psi more than recommended, and 10 psi more than the tire's max). He basically said "oops - the first gauge must not be very accurate" and then proceeded to make sure all of my tires were correctly inflated with his hand-held device (which, as I said, they were). I hope they realize a lot of people are leaving their service center with grossly overinflated tires!

That said, we restarted the TPMS calibration again (for the 3rd time) and they told me to come back and see them if it happened again once the weather moderates...

SmokeySiFy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
How do I get rid of the notice I. The infotainment system after I calibrate the tpms system.

Also, since this works by measuring tire rotation, is it possible to trip the tpms when doing some spirited driving on a twisty mountain road?

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
How do I get rid of the notice I. The infotainment system after I calibrate the tpms system.

Also, since this works by measuring tire rotation, is it possible to trip the tpms when doing some spirited driving on a twisty mountain road?
The notice should go away once you start recalibration. And yes, mine went off on two separate occasions with twisty mountain driving after getting of the interstate.

SmokeySiFy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
The notice should go away once you start recalibration. And yes, mine went off on two separate occasions with twisty mountain driving after getting of the interstate.
The envelope with the ! went away finally. I checked my tires when they were cold this morning and found them to be at 34, and one that was almost 36 psi. I lowered that one to 34, but didn't bother to recalibrate as the warning didn't come up. I'm gonna keep them at 34 for now as I don't see a reason to reduce to 32

madroxinide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Has this issue been bothering anyone else?

I just hit 600 miles on my Touring, and I got the message once at about 580 miles. I continued driving it for another 10 miles until I got home and then checked the tire pressure in the morning after everything had a chance to cool down. Door jam recommends 32 PSI, mine were all between 34 and 35psi @ approx 50 degrees F. I reduced all down to 32 psi and re-calibrated the system. After driving only 15ish miles (not all at once, its only about 6 miles into work) the TPMS notification came on again during my lunch break.

Will it cause the notification to pop up again prematurely if I don't drive the recommended ~30 minutes all at once for re-calibration?

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Has this issue been bothering anyone else?

I just hit 600 miles on my Touring, and I got the message once at about 580 miles. I continued driving it for another 10 miles until I got home and then checked the tire pressure in the morning after everything had a chance to cool down. Door jam recommends 32 PSI, mine were all between 34 and 35psi @ approx 50 degrees F. I reduced all down to 32 psi and re-calibrated the system. After driving only 15ish miles (not all at once, its only about 6 miles into work) the TPMS notification came on again during my lunch break.

Will it cause the notification to pop up again prematurely if I don't drive the recommended ~30 minutes all at once for re-calibration?
No - it is cumulative driving after the reset (doesn't have to be all at once). Mine did it twice (like your scenario), but since then, it hasn't happened now that the weather has stabilized.

madroxinide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
No - it is cumulative driving after the reset (doesn't have to be all at once). Mine did it twice (like your scenario), but since then, it hasn't happened now that the weather has stabilized.
Ok thanks, good to know. Hopefully mine doesn't go off again.

The thing I don't understand is how the weather temperatures changing affects this specific TPMS. Wouldn't all of the tires be affected by the weather/temperature changes simultaneously? There aren't specific pressure values that are being monitored, IE the car isn't looking and expecting to see 33 PSI +/- 2 PSI for each tire, and anything outside that range would cause a flag to be thrown. It's supposedly looking at the wheel rotation speed to determine if a tire is rotating at a different rate than the others. To me this would mean that if the temperature outside is 80 degrees, each tire would be exposed to the same temperatures/conditions and thus individual wheel speeds would react simultaneously. As long as the tires are all the same pressure at 50 degrees F, they should all also be the same (higher) pressure at a higher temperature.

Anybody know specifics of what exactly will set of a TPMS flag?

remyxoxo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I just purchased my new Civic EX two days ago (4/27/16). Yesterday morning while driving to work, about 30min then the tire low light comes on. I also checked all tires with gauge and was all good at 32psi. I called my salesman at the dealer and told and said similar thing like others here have said....because of cold weather can it happens and its common. But wasnt too cold here in Queens, NY and NJ area. Maybe like 50 degrees. At night went to dealer and he had the light taken care of and said same thing and all should be good now. They took out a little air supposedly. So today i'm driving to work again and pretty much around same time 30min driving the tire low light comes on again! I checked tires and all are good at 32psi. Just light coming on is annoying and worries me when and if i really have low pressure. And this is only 2nd day i've had the car!! This is my first civic let alone my first Honda. I'll probably call the sales man again but i read on page one here, maybe to have it re-calibrate it. Since i'm new to Honda in general, if can offer advice...think this will get rid of the TPMS light coming on again? Or should i go to the dealer again? I'm just a little annoyed for a BRAND NEW car had it for two days this keeps happening. I've never experienced this with any of my other cars i've had. Thanks for the advice.

madroxinide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I haven't had a TMPS error since the two times that I had mentioned in my previous posts in this thread. I had to re-calibrate it twice within a 24 hour period but since then have not had problems. Lets hope it stays that way.

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I haven't had a TMPS error since the two times that I had mentioned in my previous posts in this thread. I had to re-calibrate it twice within a 24 hour period but since then have not had problems. Lets hope it stays that way.
Same here. I had to recalibrate twice and have not had the problem since then.

Gwjvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic EXT, audi Turbo,Jeep Cherokee Limited,09 civic exl, One bad ass Jeep Rubicon, Repsol 1000RR and a few Harleys
well I guess the civic doesn't have individual tire readings huh? That sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder I couldn't find it haha

remyxoxo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
The other day I re-calibrated it and has not come on since. Been about four days now. Hope stays this way.

nielboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 BMW 435i X-Drive
Country flag
Anyone know how the "Indirect TPMS" will be impacted by 18" aftermarket wheels & upsized tires as compared to the OEM 17's on the Touring model?

Will the system automatically adjust to the bigger wheels & tires?
Sponsored