Tire Brand and Model

mrpeabody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I could not find a thread here for the life of me. Sorry if this has been done before. I have a 2021 CTR with 18" Gram Lights 57DR wheels. I need to replace the tires on them now. I use my CTR as a daily driver to take my son to school, go to the store and sometimes the local Cars and Coffee here in CA. I also would like to take the car up into the mountains for some light driving. I currently have 255/35 R18 Dunlop(discontinued) tires. The car is not lowered. I was planning on moving to a 265/35 R18. I have searched for different tires and the more I search, the more I get confused as to which ones to select. My current tires were great, but I am looking for a wider tire now. What I am looking for from this great forum, is what brand and model tire are you currently using and why? Thanks for any and all help.
Sponsored

whybuyfwd

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
move to 265/35 for more traction, and then it all comes down to budget, i run 275/35 falken rt660 and also advan apex v601, but i run different offset wheels. i like how they grip up and the price

Discount Tire

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things Honda
Country flag
I could not find a thread here for the life of me. Sorry if this has been done before. I have a 2021 CTR with 18" Gram Lights 57DR wheels. I need to replace the tires on them now. I use my CTR as a daily driver to take my son to school, go to the store and sometimes the local Cars and Coffee here in CA. I also would like to take the car up into the mountains for some light driving. I currently have 255/35 R18 Dunlop(discontinued) tires. The car is not lowered. I was planning on moving to a 265/35 R18. I have searched for different tires and the more I search, the more I get confused as to which ones to select. My current tires were great, but I am looking for a wider tire now. What I am looking for from this great forum, is what brand and model tire are you currently using and why? Thanks for any and all help.
You might want to give the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus a look. Quiet for daily driving and All Season performance for when your in the mountains. Backed by a 50k mileage promise.

GoleeMD

First Name
Jim Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm sort of in a similar situation, where I am building up my daily driver into a weekend track car and have to find the right balance of performance, wear and tear, and budget (which is how I ended up with a Type R in the first place, but that's another story). My weekly drive is about 12 hours total, roughly 700 miles/week -ish. So I've put a LOT of miles on my tires in a very short time (~25K in just over 7 months).

I bought it with 300 treadwear summer tires on it (mismatched Nitto NT555's and Pirelli P Zero's), which were both great tires, but were stock size 245/30r20 on stock wheels. The lower sidewall made for a sorta rough ride (more than just increased NVH, which I don't mind), so I went with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 in 255/35r20, which are 10mm wider and around 5mm more sidewall than stock, for the winter months, which made a HUGE difference on the rougher roads, and negligible loss on cornering feel. That's a 500 treadwear tire, and wear has been pretty good so far, though I'm afraid I waited too long to rotate them and might have to replace 2 in the winter next year. Performance is great on the twisty mountain roads (probably 30-45 min of my drive every day) and in all weather, so I'm keeping that setup for next year. Kinda pricey in the stock 20" size though ($385/tire). Best damn All Season tire for this car though. I've heard great things about the Conti DWS06 mentioned above as well, but went with the Michelin because they supposedly edged out the Conti in overall performance, but the Conti was better as far as tread life and snow performance. I'm in VA, and I have a 4x4 for the 2-3 times it snows every 5 years.

I just today put on 18's, and I chose my wheel and tire size partly based on price, with certain sizes being WAY cheaper than stock sized (like half the price). Again, I went with Michelin, but this time the Pilot Sport 4s (also a 300 treadwear summer tire). In the stock sizes, these were around $400-$450/tire, but in the 245/40r18 (which is almost identical diameter and width to stock, but in 18"), I found them for $245/ea.

Thanks, My last set of tires were $165 per tire
My man... you bought a Type R. You wouldn't ask Usain Bolt to run the 100m dash in Crocs, even with sport mode engaged, would you? 😂

If you were LeBron James and you were just going for a walk to the store, but your walk might take you past the local basketball court and maybe you feel like dunking on a couple punk kids today, you probably won't be wearing your $500 game-ready Nike's, but you're not going to be taking that walk in your flip flops either.

My personal take on tires is this: they are not just for performance or looks, they are also your #1 best piece of safety equipment on your car for avoiding accidents, and should be invested in accordingly. I would recommend spending $800-$1000 minimum for a set of quality tires for this car just from a safety standpoint, and maybe more if you want to take full advantage of the extra performance the CTR has to offer over the other Civic models.

Think about it this way: what good is adding extra HP to the engine if the tires can only effectively transfer X amount of torque/force to the ground before slipping? And what about braking and stopping distance? With quality tires, there is way more braking force available before ABS kicks in than with crappy tires that break traction earlier.

Think about Sam's Club tires on an NHRA drag car...
An XBox X/S or PS5 running on a dialup modem...
Tiger Woods playing with a set of Spaulding clubs...
Max Verstappen driving a VW Beetle...
The US military and economy being led by Joe Biden...

But I digress.

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I liked the Apex V601s but the road noise was a little loud and it wore down FAST, I think I got only about 15k on mine before they needed to be replaced. I tried Kumho Ecsta 4X II, and they were just okay. I'm on the Conti DWS06 plus now and they've been fantastic.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
You might want to give the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus a look. Quiet for daily driving and All Season performance for when your in the mountains. Backed by a 50k mileage promise.
Yeah, I would not trust this warranty unless you get your local manager to put it in writing.

Don't get me wrong, I love Discount and buy tires for 4 cars there, plus my track tires. I'm just a mile away for your corporate HQ. But your stores here will not honor a single treadwear warranty on any tire on a FK8 with stock alignment.

I had a set of PS4S that wore out in 15k miles. Despite the 30k warranty it was denied, because of the stock camber.

I wish you would honor the treadwear warranties, I would go back to better tires for dailying if you did.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I'm sort of in a similar situation, where I am building up my daily driver into a weekend track car and have to find the right balance of performance, wear and tear, and budget (which is how I ended up with a Type R in the first place, but that's another story). My weekly drive is about 12 hours total, roughly 700 miles/week -ish. So I've put a LOT of miles on my tires in a very short time (~25K in just over 7 months).
Not sure if you are using the same tires for daily and track.

My advice, don't.

Three reasons:
- Cost. You want track tires like a AD09R or SuperCar3 or NT01 that will wear on a track well and last you a does days or so. You want tires on you daily that will last 15-30k miles. Those are not the same tires.
- Performance. Track tires and daily tires you want/need different properties and performance characteristics.
- One of these days you will break a wheel or damage a tire on the track. Then how are you going to get home if you don't have another set of tires to put on? Been there, done that. Twice.

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Use 200TW tyres for track. All seasons for daily driving.

I’m currently running Bridgestone Potenza Race 200TW in the fronts at 235/40R18 and Pilot Sport All Season 4 245/40R18 in the rear on my daily driven FK7 due to tire puncture on my previous front needing replacement. My use is experimenting and not an economical way of saving money for daily driving 200TW tyres. A set of 200TW is great for summer weather, but terrible if it rains.

GoleeMD

First Name
Jim Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Not sure if you are using the same tires for daily and track.

My advice, don't.

Three reasons:
- Cost. You want track tires like a AD09R or SuperCar3 or NT01 that will wear on a track well and last you a does days or so. You want tires on you daily that will last 15-30k miles. Those are not the same tires.
- Performance. Track tires and daily tires you want/need different properties and performance characteristics.
- One of these days you will break a wheel or damage a tire on the track. Then how are you going to get home if you don't have another set of tires to put on? Been there, done that. Twice.
Lol... 😂

I started typing out a much different response at first, until I realized that I was agreeing with everything you said and I hadn't thought about my answer to the first question you asked, which is: I wouldn't use the same tires, pretty much for those reasons. Maybe a few easy laps on the PS4S if you had to, but nothing more.

As for the last part about breaking a wheel or other such track disasters, that's to be expected. I already have an F250 (my old DD) and a trailer for toy hauling. Wouldn't risk wrecking my only way home...

I grew up in the off-road world where playing in the dirt with your means of transportation was usually not going to end well, and this old guy has been stuck/stranded way too many times already...

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Yeah, I would not trust this warranty unless you get your local manager to put it in writing.

Don't get me wrong, I love Discount and buy tires for 4 cars there, plus my track tires. I'm just a mile away for your corporate HQ. But your stores here will not honor a single treadwear warranty on any tire on a FK8 with stock alignment.

I had a set of PS4S that wore out in 15k miles. Despite the 30k warranty it was denied, because of the stock camber.

I wish you would honor the treadwear warranties, I would go back to better tires for dailying if you did.
Interesting! i had the contis that they recommended and they were down to 3/32 on the tread wear at 15k miles.. I replaced those with michelin all season 4s and theyve been going strong for 30k miles now. I am now at 5/32 on wear. Im still on the fence with getting a set of summer wheels and tires but if I do I am strongly looking at michelin summers.

At the end of the day the way we drive matters a lot. But I wonder if some of us just get dud tires.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
At the end of the day the way we drive matters a lot. But I wonder if some of us just get dud tires.
Yea, maybe those tires were off. But they wore on the inside edge exactly like expected given camber. Which as I said is stock. And it wasn't a rotation thing because I would rotate them every month or so when I swapped for my track wheels at the track.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
As for the last part about breaking a wheel or other such track disasters, that's to be expected. I already have an F250 (my old DD) and a trailer for toy hauling. Wouldn't risk wrecking my only way home...
No truck or trailer for me. Don't have them or a place to store them. But have been looking at doing some out of state events and in that case I would rent a trailer and borrow a truck. So far, wheels alone have been enough to get me home :)

One event was a cracked wheel, would not hold air. The other was a flat when I ran out to lunch and was something like a piece of metal banding that cut a 1" slash through the corner and sidewall of my tire. Was able to limp back to the track and put on my dailies to get home.