Time for sway bar end links?

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
About 3 months ago I started getting a suspension sound in the front that sounded like the sway bar end links were needing replacing. The car would make a mild repetitive clunking sound when going over uneven road surfaces. The steering even felt a bit sloppy when going over uneven surfaces. The clunking sound was the very same that I've heard on previous Hondas I've owned that needed end links replaced.

My plan was to put off the repair until the temperatures warmed up a bit since my garage is currently unheated and I don't drive the CTR much these days. Well the warmer weather is now here and I took the car out a few times in the last 2 days and... the sound is gone. The steering feels tighter again also.

So now I'm wondering... is it even the end links that need replacing? Can it be something else altogether? Can warm weather cause the end links to stop making noise? I was thinking of taking the car to a Honda dealer but I'm worried I'll end up wasting my time with the mechanic coming back indicating "Cannot replicate symptom".

Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored

KensBlueGenX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 1.5l MT HB Sport
Country flag
Short of them occasionally breaking under really hard use, they really haven't been an issue.

At this point, if it was me, I would follow the, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' rule.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
About 3 months ago I started getting a suspension sound in the front that sounded like the sway bar end links were needing replacing. The car would make a mild repetitive clunking sound when going over uneven road surfaces. The steering even felt a bit sloppy when going over uneven surfaces. The clunking sound was the very same that I've heard on previous Hondas I've owned that needed end links replaced.

My plan was to put off the repair until the temperatures warmed up a bit since my garage is currently unheated and I don't drive the CTR much these days. Well the warmer weather is now here and I took the car out a few times in the last 2 days and... the sound is gone. The steering feels tighter again also.

So now I'm wondering... is it even the end links that need replacing? Can it be something else altogether? Can warm weather cause the end links to stop making noise? I was thinking of taking the car to a Honda dealer but I'm worried I'll end up wasting my time with the mechanic coming back indicating "Cannot replicate symptom".

Anyone have any ideas?
If you're not driving it much, then drove it when really cold out, you could just be hearing things that were triggered by the cold ambient temperature. I wouldn't think that weather unless it was severe swings like -50 to +70 would impact how something like an endlink would operate.

I'd leave it and monitor. Also I'm paranoid about impacting the badass setup they figured out for these cars from the factory as far as handling and suspension goes. Not sure I'd go the swaybar endlink route on this car, personally.

OP
OP
CivilciviC

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Not sure I'd go the swaybar endlink route on this car, personally.
I wasn't looking at aftermarket swaybar endlinks. Just replacing oem ones. Anyhow, I took the car in for a diagnostic and sure enough they were both going on the front. Seems premature but I have them on order now and will replace them myself next week.

For those wondering, turns out temperature will change how much noise they make when they start to go bad.

OP
OP
CivilciviC

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Short of them occasionally breaking under really hard use, they really haven't been an issue.

At this point, if it was me, I would follow the, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' rule.
??? I have no idea what you're talking about 😆

In either case, my sway bar end links, or stabilizer links, whatever you want to call them, were indeed worn out.

CTR_Hexia

First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (SGP)
Country flag
What did you end up
??? I have no idea what you're talking about 😆

In either case, my sway bar end links, or stabilizer links, whatever you want to call them, were indeed worn out.
did you replace your end links for OEM or have you explored any aftermarket options?

I just noticed that my rear left sway bar end link wore out at the point where the bushing connects to the lower control arm. I was trying to upgrade to spoon springs when I found this and was unable to even get the bolt out that connects the end link to the lower control arm.

I have 30k miles on my R and drive it pretty hard as a daily drive and lot of backroad runs.
Sponsored