Switching from D to S while driving?

liquid1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
So I just bought my first Honda in 8 years (last 2 generations didn't impress me) and couldn't get a straight answer from the dealership on shifting. I have a 2016 Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo. Sometimes I am in traffic and want to get around someone quickly so I shift from D to S. I notice the engine revs generally higher and Ive read S just spools up the turbo up quicker. I asked the dealership if it was bad for the Engine/CVT if i switch modes WHILE i'm driving but no one could answer the question. Anyone have advice on here?
Sponsored

Ryude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
So I just bought my first Honda in 8 years (last 2 generations didn't impress me) and couldn't get a straight answer from the dealership on shifting. I have a 2016 Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo. Sometimes I am in traffic and want to get around someone quickly so I shift from D to S. I notice the engine revs generally higher and Ive read S just spools up the turbo up quicker. I asked the dealership if it was bad for the Engine/CVT if i switch modes WHILE i'm driving but no one could answer the question. Anyone have advice on here?
You can definitely switch from D to S while driving, just don't do it while pedal to the floor.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
You can definitely switch from D to S while driving, just don't do it while pedal to the floor.
Even that is probably safe as the computers won't let it hurt the car, so it will only shift when its safe to do so regardless of what you ask it to do via the lever. The shift lever is mostly just telling the computers what to do. The "P" may still have a mechanical connection to the transmission, but I'm not sure much else does.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Must have been an oldie, back in the day that was the case.
Nope. Young kid. I don't mind the ignorance, but if you're going to sell something, at least know the product. Heh, my salesman and I had a showdown during negotiations to see who knew more about it. We tied, and both learned some things!

creamofpayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Is it wise to take your foot off the gas before switching between D & S?

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wouldn't make a habit of doing it with your foot flat to the floor a lot. But the computer will figure out the best way to do what you ask. Not much different than just flooring it anyway...

bcfmb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 16
I switch between D,S,L all the time. Ill switch into S when passing and then switch back to D because the car seems to maintain the higher speed in D longer than it does in S. I have no idea if this will cause any problems later down the line, but this is the reason I lease cars.

dannys1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
Country flag
One dealer I test drove at said the S was for 'Second'. I didn't buy from them... ;)

i test drive a focus st 2016 before buying my touring, dealer told me in test drive that the turbo icon in the focus dash that read -10 +20lbs ( turbo boost) was the G-force when taking curves and accelerating , i was lmao inside of me .... i got the hell out of there.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i test drive a focus st 2016 before buying my touring, dealer told me in test drive that the turbo icon in the focus dash that read -10 +20lbs ( turbo boost) was the G-force when taking curves and accelerating , i was lmao inside of me .... i got the hell out of there.
Did you ask him what G Force meant? Even airplanes don't have that kind of G Force. At 20, you'd be squashed like a pancake with your guts spilling everywhere :rofl:

There might not even be a car left. ;)

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not to be a party pooper, but the body can sustain 20 G's for as long as 10 seconds before you black out...

A slap in the face is as much as 200 G's!
Sponsored