Stutter Under Heavy Acceleration - 1.5T Hatch

b0j4ngl35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
I searched for a while and couldn't really find any threads talking about what I've noticed (unless I'm blind), but basically, I notice sometimes if I really put the accelerator down, I'll feel an occasional stutter as the RPMs climb. Obviously there's the initial feel of the CVT as it changes "gears", but this feels different, like it hiccups in the middle of the power band. It's not surging, and it only ever happens when I've really got my foot in it. Car drives great otherwise.

Anybody else notice this in theirs? I've got about 6,800 miles or so on my car, and I kept it under 3K RPM for the first 1,000 miles or so. I don't get on it all that often, but it's fun to play around with once in a while. Should also note that I haven't modded anything on the car either.
Sponsored

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I searched for a while and couldn't really find any threads talking about what I've noticed (unless I'm blind), but basically, I notice sometimes if I really put the accelerator down, I'll feel an occasional stutter as the RPMs climb. Obviously there's the initial feel of the CVT as it changes "gears", but this feels different, like it hiccups in the middle of the power band. It's not surging, and it only ever happens when I've really got my foot in it. Car drives great otherwise.

Anybody else notice this in theirs? I've got about 6,800 miles or so on my car, and I kept it under 3K RPM for the first 1,000 miles or so. I don't get on it all that often, but it's fun to play around with once in a while. Should also note that I haven't modded anything on the car either.
Without really looking at logs from the ECU it could be a couple things.
1) just cvt hunting for the correct "gear"
2)turbo lag
3) Ecu logic, sometimes at full throttle and depending on the conditions, i.e. fuel, temp, etc. the ecu can pull timing to protect the engine and actually closes the throttle for a split second. Its normal an how honda designed the logic in the ecu. That would cause your boost to level and then begin building again and that would be the sutter or hesitation you feel.

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
I noticed this yesterday in my 6MT shifting from first to second, after it was in second it lagged hard for a couple seconds then picked up. This was hard acceleration on an on-ramp onto a fast highway.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I noticed this yesterday in my 6MT shifting from first to second, after it was in second it lagged hard for a couple seconds then picked up. This was hard acceleration on an on-ramp onto a fast highway.
These cars are super sensitive to heat. Anytime its gets hot around me the Kcontrol (knock control) rises and causes the car to make less boost and pulls timing. This is usually felt with less power under full throttle or some slight hesitation.

OP
OP
b0j4ngl35

b0j4ngl35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
3) Ecu logic, sometimes at full throttle and depending on the conditions, i.e. fuel, temp, etc. the ecu can pull timing to protect the engine and actually closes the throttle for a split second. Its normal an how honda designed the logic in the ecu. That would cause your boost to level and then begin building again and that would be the sutter or hesitation you feel.
I bet this is exactly what I'm experiencing, I was kinda thinking it might just be the ECU. Also, I've been running 87 so I imagine that'll contribute to it a little too.

The stutter I notice is never longer than a split second, so I don't think it's boost lag I'm feeling. Thanks for the input guys!

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
My car did something similar under WOT for the first couple times I did it. Only in 3rd gear (high load) going up an on-ramp. I noticed it did it a 3rd or 4th time on a cold morning, again 3rd gear freeway on ramp. After that it never did it again, until the next time the ECU was reset. Im assuming its something with the learning process.
Sponsored