Turbo stutter? Not sure??? Noob!

solidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ex-t 2017
(Bare with me on this explanation I am so noob to cars. I only know a little bit) So I let the car idle for about 10 min while I was in the store right after driving it hard. I then drove it hard again then soft then hard one more time and on the third time my turbo felt like it was struggling like I felt it lag in the higher rpm and my engine temps rose a bit during that and as soon as I stopped temps dropped back down to normal. It was about 90+ today and I have a feeling that's what caused it but I am really worried cause I'm so noob. Now I need service and an oil change my light hasn't come on but it says 10% on the oil gauge so is it, A I need the service/ oil change, B it was just way to frickin hot, C all of the above, or D something more sinister. Ecu tune shouldn't have affected my car because I did no custom tune it's all preset tunes from the company. I.e. Ktuner stage 2 right? I have a cat back cold air intake and the tune
Sponsored

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
Which grade of gasoline and what ethanol content are you running?
How many miles since last oil change, and have you checked the oil level?

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Your IAT probably got too high and knock control went up. you should do a datalog when that happens to see whats going on.

akirarex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
Your IAT probably got too high and knock control went up. you should do a datalog when that happens to see whats going on.
Agreed. The 10 minutes of heat soak after beating on it..... just made everything get hot. Sensors see everything as higher temps, starts cutting ignition timing.
You should always have a cool down drive after beating on it..... just drive it lightly at like 35mph or higher to get the air exchange going. Don't just beat on it then stop and let it bake. Datalog those temps and report your findings.

There was an episode of Top Gear where it showed a Porsche 911 and how if you beat on it, it heat soaks and the ecu drops everything down so much that it loses like 100 horsepower when it's hot. It's just trying to save itself in a sort of protection mode until it gets back down to normal operating temperature.

jaja340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-L
Vehicle Showcase
(Bare with me on this explanation I am so noob to cars. I only know a little bit) So I let the car idle for about 10 min while I was in the store right after driving it hard. I then drove it hard again then soft then hard one more time and on the third time my turbo felt like it was struggling like I felt it lag in the higher rpm and my engine temps rose a bit during that and as soon as I stopped temps dropped back down to normal. It was about 90+ today and I have a feeling that's what caused it but I am really worried cause I'm so noob. Now I need service and an oil change my light hasn't come on but it says 10% on the oil gauge so is it, A I need the service/ oil change, B it was just way to frickin hot, C all of the above, or D something more sinister. Ecu tune shouldn't have affected my car because I did no custom tune it's all preset tunes from the company. I.e. Ktuner stage 2 right? I have a cat back cold air intake and the tune
If you're running stock tires with a tune it could also be traction control I was having the same problem then I got some summer tires and no hint of it
Sponsored