Cam1456

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r 2018
Country flag
So half a year ago I bought a new OEM steering wheel and swapped it out for the factory one (newer alcantara) and the new oem wheel wont fit on to the original position of the factory wheel. I realized the bores are bit different in shape. But the new one is the same exact one that came on the car and is a Honda genuine part. Im curious as to why it doesn’t want to sit on the original position. Any guesses? I’ve also been to, two honda dealerships to get my issue resolved and none can fix it. Im about to take it to a Motorsport shop that can fix it for $200 but first I’d like to hear someone else’s opinion?

Honda Civic 10th gen Steering wheel not centered E6369118-566E-4DC8-8931-0718683CC86B

Honda Civic 10th gen Steering wheel not centered CB11CCE7-882B-4398-B252-392A4D1398CA

Honda Civic 10th gen Steering wheel not centered 034FF201-8E6E-48EB-ACD0-A4341005EDC8

BrandonB

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport Hatch
Country flag
I had a similar problem. I went from a sport to a type R wheel. It was just a matter of getting it positioned just right. It took about 3-4 tries before I got it right.

OP
OP

Cam1456

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r 2018
Country flag
I had a similar problem. I went from a sport to a type R wheel. It was just a matter of getting it positioned just right. It took about 3-4 tries before I got it right.
It’s been 6 and a half months of me trying to get it positioned. The bore isn’t made like the factory one.

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
if you have a plug or know a nice alignment shop guy they can usually adjust it in the software without having to take it off again. alignment shop did mine like that.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
It is trial and error and once you get it as close as possible. You will need an alignment.

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
Park with wheels dead ahead. Disconnect steering shaft ( a 10mm bolt under the plastic cover by pedals). Make sure car is in ACC mode so steering lock doesn't kick in, then lift steering shaft & allow steering wheel to rotate until it is aligned to your liking. Reconnect shaft & make sure bolt is properly tightened & you should be all lined up. I had to do this method after dropping the subframe to replace my clutch & just couldn't get steering wheel fully lined up. HTH

OP
OP

Cam1456

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r 2018
Country flag
if you have a plug or know a nice alignment shop guy they can usually adjust it in the software without having to take it off again. alignment shop did mine like that.
What software?

OP
OP

Cam1456

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r 2018
Country flag
Park with wheels dead ahead. Disconnect steering shaft ( a 10mm bolt under the plastic cover by pedals). Make sure car is in ACC mode so steering lock doesn't kick in, then lift steering shaft & allow steering wheel to rotate until it is aligned to your liking. Reconnect shaft & make sure bolt is properly tightened & you should be all lined up. I had to do this method after dropping the subframe to replace my clutch & just couldn't get steering wheel fully lined up. HTH
Can you make a video showing what you did? Could I get it perfectly straight like when it came from factory?

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What software?
autel is probably the best known. quite expensive to buy just to fix a steering wheel but if an alignment shop may or may not have it. or a mechanic buddy.

OP
OP

Cam1456

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r 2018
Country flag
autel is probably the best known. quite expensive to buy just to fix a steering wheel but if an alignment shop may or may not have it. or a mechanic buddy.
After the fact, I already paid and he told me he can’t coz they don’t have the software. Still didn’t fix my issue.

CMarks

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
My oem steering wheel has started to get this problem its about 1/4”-1/2” out of center to the right. Hopefully when i get new wheels and tires and get them aligned it gets fixed.

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
Can you make a video showing what you did? Could I get it perfectly straight like when it came from factory?
If you haven't already, download the service manual ( there's a sticky for it in the maintenance forum). Then just look for steering shaft removal/ installation. It will give you step by step procedure.
Yes you will be able to get steering perfectly aligned. Literally a 10 minute job, once you've looked at the service manual. HTH
Sponsored