Sport touring hatchback lurching/shuddering

Alex2893

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Polished Metal
Country flag
I only have 600 miles on this car and the last few days iv been experiencing some possible issues I believe to be with the CVT transmission.

When I'm driving around a parking lot every time I let off the gas the car shudders for a few seconds then coasts normally. The shudder is very noticable. Also when I'm breaking from say 40 to stopped there will be 1 or 2 distinct lurches forward which makes breaking not feel very smooth. Also if I'm going like 40 and slow down quick to 5 then coast all the sudden the car will lurch forward gaining a few mph which I dont think should be happening. It's a super strange feeling. The shuddering is definitely not the engine (which i know can be causes of shuddering). It sounds perfectly fine.

Also iv never been hard of the throttle yet. I might have went to 80% throttle once or twice but other then that I drive it very lightly.

Iv never had a car with a CVT before and so I'm not sure if this is all normal and I just have to get used to it or this is actually something going on I need to get checked out. I always thought CVT's were supposed to be seamless and feel like there is no gears.
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
It shouldn't shake just letting off the gas. The only documented among members here is when you are coming to a relatively sudden stop, and then let off the BRAKE, then the car will lurch a tad.

Did this not occur previously, and just start happening?

OP
OP

Alex2893

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Polished Metal
Country flag
It's been becoming more noticeable over the last 3 days. It was doing it very slightly after i took hold of the car. But now that it seams to becoming more noticable Im starting to become concerned. I really don't want a brand new car having issues I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to have a dent removed, trim price replaced which was broken from dealer and an alignment. My steering is not centered. I'll just mention what u said above and if they say it's all normal I'll just learn to deal with it.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
It's also an option to ask for a test drive in one of their lot cars. See if the same thing can be replicated in another car. Should narrow down whether it's normal or not. Good luck!

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I only have 600 miles on this car and the last few days iv been experiencing some possible issues I believe to be with the CVT transmission.

When I'm driving around a parking lot every time I let off the gas the car shudders for a few seconds then coasts normally. The shudder is very noticable. Also when I'm breaking from say 40 to stopped there will be 1 or 2 distinct lurches forward which makes breaking not feel very smooth. Also if I'm going like 40 and slow down quick to 5 then coast all the sudden the car will lurch forward gaining a few mph which I dont think should be happening. It's a super strange feeling. The shuddering is definitely not the engine (which i know can be causes of shuddering). It sounds perfectly fine.

Also iv never been hard of the throttle yet. I might have went to 80% throttle once or twice but other then that I drive it very lightly.

Iv never had a car with a CVT before and so I'm not sure if this is all normal and I just have to get used to it or this is actually something going on I need to get checked out. I always thought CVT's were supposed to be seamless and feel like there is no gears.
I have the same issue with mine. I have a 2016 civic touring that I bought December 2015. I had only 80 miles on my car when I started noticing the car being very jerky and lurchy. I brought it to the dealer and I explained that coming to a stop gently I would feel anywhere from 2 jerks to 4 jerks until I got to a complete stop. Also when going up a steep hill I have a stop sign at the top and it feels like it bucks forward when I let off the gas. And when I stop hard it also very jerky. I also called it shuddering as well. I explained this to my service advisor and they kept the car for a week for testing. While they were doing testing I was on the phone with Honda corporate telling them that I'm convinced they sold me a lemon. I mean how can a brand new car feel this horrible. a week later they service advisor called me and told me that the car is ready to be picked up and that there is nothing wrong and it should drive very good. It didn't. I brought it back 2 times after that and sat with the tech as he drove it and then I drove it. And both times they told me it was normal.

I also drove a 15 Honda Fit with cvt and it didn't jerky/shudder like that. And I've drove a Nissan Sentra rental and that didn't jerk or shudder either. But they told me it's normal in the civic.

This is the main reason I'm getting rid of this car. Other reasons are because my interior rattles, creeks, clicks, buzzes, and pops. I'm very disappointed with the quality of this car. I understand it's a first model year but still very disappointing. And am also sad because I still love the interior design. And I love the exterior so much. And the turbo is fun. But my particular car is horrible I can't take it much longer.

Last edited:

Dtfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback, 2004 Acura TSX, 2001 Chevy Silverado
It shouldn't shake just letting off the gas. The only documented among members here is when you are coming to a relatively sudden stop, and then let off the BRAKE, then the car will lurch a tad.

Did this not occur previously, and just start happening?
Is this "lurch" you say normal? because this happens to mine too. I can feather the brake on and off (just enough for brake light to come on, and every time i let go of the brake it lurches forward as if it jumps into gear.

nyczrayy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
Wow, I have the same issue too. but very consistent , two jerks after letting off the gas. I've only had the car for 14 days!!! aside from that, has anyone notice a low tone humming noise coming from under the car? could be the calipers? it's really noticeable when going between 20-40 mph...

art3mis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Has anyone found the solution for this yet? I'm currently experiencing this and I've had my car for two weeks now with only 300 miles on it.

reesee175

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag

I have a civic hatch with 3000 miles and i had the same issue but it has gone. It may be the tcu learning the driving patterns. This my 2nd car with a cvt because of traffic, but the civic is by far the best. It should go away.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone found the solution for this yet? I'm currently experiencing this and I've had my car for two weeks now with only 300 miles on it.
I'm still having the issue almost 5000 miles.
I'm going to hopefully bring the car in soon for the engine grinding tsb and to get a tire rotation. For the engine grinding they need to flush the transmission fluid and add new fluid. If that makes a difference in the driving I'll update everyone here.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had the 2.0 with CVT as a loaner and it was much smoother than the 1.5t MUCH smoother, It accelerated much quicker from a dead stop, it was smoother taking parking lot turns, nothing like the CVT in the 1.5t's. does the 2.0 have the torque converter? because that's exactly what I think it is. I think it's normal but I don't like it at all.

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
My 1.5T also has that little shudder when quickly breaking and then letting up near a stop. Good to know it's relatively normal. I wonder if this situation will improve with more mileage?

nyczrayy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
My 1.5T also has that little shudder when quickly breaking and then letting up near a stop. Good to know it's relatively normal. I wonder if this situation will improve with more mileage?
I'm at 2500 miles and it has not improve

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hm... About 800 miles into my Sport Touring and haven't hit that issue. Can you upload a video so I know what to look out for?
Sponsored