Splash Guard bent

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (Sonic Gray Pearl)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi all,

I had to go to my local Honda dealership this morning to get my undercarriage checked cause my car started to scrape on anything elevated and the noise was getting louder.:eek:
I have had my car for about a year and a month and I do NOT remember hitting anything to cause sagging or scraping of the lower part of my car. Since March like a lot of folks I have not been driving much since I work from home now and the only time I drive is when I go to the store or long drives to offset cabin fever. The scraping noise only started about 3 or 4 weeks ago.
Went in to get it checked (no appointment) and the dealership service was really nice, cause first the service guy said well we won't be able to look at it until 5 pm and I was oh darn could you at least look at it and let me know how bad it is.
Cause, when I drove into the dealership lot there is a small drainage channel, not very deep but narrow that everyone drives over, I went real slow over it and my car just let out a loud scraping noise. UGGHHHH Did that salesman hear that???:eek:
The service guy was like ok let me get someone to look at it real quick and let you know. I said I don't have a lot of money right now so could you also let me know how much this will be to fix, give me a quote. The service guy said it could be about $500 or more depending upon the parts involved. I gulped and said will maybe my insurance can help me with this. Then the service guy says well we can look at it and if it isn't to bad we can straighten it out by beating it and clip it back and those clips that are used, we have a lot hanging around. I thought to myself wow I hope it is the "cheaper" fix. So the service guy had one of the mechanics take it away and told me it would take about 20 minutes to check. Ok, wandered around a bit and then sat down crossing my fingers and toes.
The service guy comes back to me about 30 minutes or so later and says hey we were able to beat it back into shape and replace the screws and sometimes what happens is the screws loosen up over time and the splashguard gets caught on something and it gets bent. My car should be ready in a few minutes cause it is getting washed and dried by the tech.
The tech also told me it looked like the screws had loosened up a little cause there were some signs of stripping.

My car was looking good and now I can drive into driveways or small bumps/dips without scraping and scaring the crap out of me.
Moral of the story check your splashguards for sagging. I know I know the scraping is a key tell but sometimes if you check beforehand you can prevent your splashguard from becoming a pretzel. Maybe this explains why my mileage was dropping a bit.?
Sponsored

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice.
Glad it didn’t cost a bunch to get sorted.
I always check how tight those fasteners are done up acouple of weeks after having the car serviced just to check that they haven’t backed out.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No. Moral of the story is either DIY your oil changes, or find someone that knows how to re-install the underbody shield properly. The bottom panel scrapes because it wasn't installed properly.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
No. Moral of the story is either DIY your oil changes, or find someone that knows how to re-install the underbody shield properly. The bottom panel scrapes because it wasn't installed properly.

You are right;

Often read here; dealer often forget screws or forget to tighten them.
Sponsored