Show me what you did to protect your oil pan from heat.

DADM0D

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R #36335, 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Country flag
I have ordered the new PRL High Volume Downpipe, and front pipe. I want to protect my oil from heat as much as possible while I perform this install. What have you done to your front pipe? Heat wrap, gold heat reflective tape, etc.?
Sponsored

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
i would look at getting a heat extractor hood or venting the stock one if your really worried about heat at the track. this would help overall in moving all the heat out.

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I'll be putting the reflective tape on the pan and wrapping the downpipe when I install it.
DEI gold tape and titanium wrap.
I'll be sure and postpics in my prep thread!

Gr90

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I didn't do anything as it is not necessary.

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I didn't do anything as it is not necessary.
Depends on how you use the car...daily driver: not "necessary". Track car: still not "necessary" but when you are using the car at 100% lap after lap it becomes necessary for heat management and longevity.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
This ..
-> extracted from near the bottom of post 1 in my thread at:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/jeffs-build-for-occasional-light-track-use.51054/

Oil pan heat reduction effort

When I was under the car I noticed that the front pipe is positioned fairly close to the oil pan itself. I decided to put on some flexible thermal DEI heat shield on the bottom of the oil pan near the exhaust and wrap the front pipe to reduce heat transfer in this area. Not many others have mentioned this one to date...
I did not wrap the down pipe as I have heard that may not be a good idea for a catted downpipes. I see PTP now has a small insulating hat you can put on the top of a downpipe. Unfortunately, this was not available for me to purchase or try while I was doing this build.
Note the line to the back of the oil pan in the picture below is for the oil temperature probe which I put in a custom order oil drain plug and then inslated to reduce the effects of any latent heat form the front pipe.

Honda Civic 10th gen Show me what you did to protect your oil pan from heat. 1639107977473

Seemed to help along with my other efforts to help reduce heat based on my oil temp gauge readings while tracking the car.
Sponsored