Should I pay markup at this point?

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
While I'm against any markup, you have to be smart. What's better, no markup + out of state transport fees or a $600 markup locally? Considering transport will be double that, it makes more sense to pay the ADM there.

Where it doesn't is all these people paying $3-5K+ in markup. I get that time is also money.....but it takes about the same time to close a sale over the phone with an out of state dealer + arrange transport as it is to physically go to a local dealer, wait around, and then do the deal in person.

Don't pay the ADM out of laziness or convenience, but go for it if the numbers work out better.
Sponsored

jasenkent

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
There is a dealer in my area who has 3 Type R's.

They had marked up the price on 2 of them to $48k and 1 of them to $46.

They emailed me today letting me know they were dropping the price on all 3 of them by $4k.

Maybe the tide is turning somewhat on the desirability of these cars?

Personally, I've been trying to get a Type R for a couple of years, but now I don't have that "burning" desire to get one. Plus, it will be sooner than we realize that Honda will release the 11th gen Type R.

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
just pay it and call it a day. 90% of the ppl who say they bought for msrp or under are probably bullshitting anyway

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
There is a dealer in my area who has 3 Type R's.

They had marked up the price on 2 of them to $48k and 1 of them to $46.

They emailed me today letting me know they were dropping the price on all 3 of them by $4k.

Maybe the tide is turning somewhat on the desirability of these cars?

Personally, I've been trying to get a Type R for a couple of years, but now I don't have that "burning" desire to get one. Plus, it will be sooner than we realize that Honda will release the 11th gen Type R.
Same over here in South Cali... @ Temecula Honda, Grandparents put down 15k for their grandson and paid 48k.... they still have like 4 (including one limited) left but want a premium that's for sure :)

https://www.dchhondaoftemecula.com/new-inventory/index.htm?model=Civic Type R

22k over MSRP for the limited =)

Last edited:

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
Sometimes you'll see a 2020 or 2021 used with low miles (5k or under), never modded, driven nicely but the owner just didn't like that car... that's a good buy at MSRP (in SoCal anyway) right now ;) Pretty much have 80-90% of your 60k PT Warranty... can't go wrong.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
I agree with others here. If there’s just a little mark up then just go for it if it’s local. Yes you can save some money if you go out of state, do some sight seeing, nice long ride home and break in the engine, etc...

Just keep in mind the laws of supply and demand especially since this is the last model year of this particular style. If you want a new 2021 Type R, there’s only a small pool of cars left. If dealers know that, which I think they will, the mark up may get worse as the supply of 2020 cars dwindle.

Otherwise you could wait and see what the next Type R looks like. Who knows, you might prefer that one more.

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
I agree with others here. If there’s just a little mark up then just go for it if it’s local. Yes you can save some money if you go out of state, do some sight seeing, nice long ride home and break in the engine, etc...

Just keep in mind the laws of supply and demand especially since this is the last model year of this particular style. If you want a new 2021 Type R, there’s only a small pool of cars left. If dealers know that, which I think they will, the mark up may get worse as the supply of 2020 cars dwindle.

Otherwise you could wait and see what the next Type R looks like. Who knows, you might prefer that one more.
All the dealers know it around here.... and i quote "manager don't care if the car sits in the showroom forever... they want 10k over MSRP" =)

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
All the dealers know it around here.... and i quote "manager don't care if the car sits in the showroom forever... they want 10k over MSRP" =)
Ugghhhhh. And they will sit on that car because in 10 years they’ll sell it as the lowest mile 2021 Type R with 11 miles on the clock and get $99,000 at Barret/Jackson....it’s a win/win situation for that dealer, hahahah!

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
Ugghhhhh. And they will sit on that car because in 10 years they’ll sell it as the lowest mile 2021 Type R with 11 miles on the clock and get $99,000 at Barret/Jackson....it’s a win/win situation for that dealer, hahahah!
For us owners as well ;) soon to be on the future Collectibles list...

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
Heh... last one on Carvana 9717 miles (within my range)... 2020 White ... selling @ MSRP :p... only one now... there were like 9 of them last week =D Selling like hotcakes in Lumberjack Oregon :p Doh! Purchase in progress... that was fast!

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For us owners as well ;) soon to be on the future Collectibles list...
In all seriousness these cars will be collectible to some degree especially if the next Type R drivetrain is radically changed to some sort of awd/hybrid. If the next Type R does go that direction people may consider this the last analog version of this car. Just a pure driving experience.

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
In all seriousness these cars will be collectible to some degree especially if the next Type R drivetrain is radically changed to some sort of awd/hybrid.
All sort of performance cars are collectible to some degree, if another version of the R comes out, that will decrease the demand for this one.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
All sort of performance cars are collectible to some degree, if another version of the R comes out, that will decrease the demand for this one.
Very true that all sorts of performance cars are collectible to some degree and a new 11th Gen CTR will put the 10th Gen on the back burner initially. Of course I don’t have a crystal ball to predict anything but if the new Type R becomes more complex with a hybrid system and and awd, etc. it will no doubt be a great car (and probably faster)and the initial demand for this 11th Gen CTR will decrease the demand for the 10th Gen CTR but some people may want a simple drivers car and that’s part of the recipe for the Type R. I don’t necessarily think that the demand will decrease horribly for these 10th Gen cars, again hard to say but let’s take for example the GT-R. The R35 is the most recent version and Has a lot of tech and design to make it an awesome car but the previous generation R34 is the one a lot of people are more attracted to. Could be because it’s more glamorized in movies and I video games, who knows. The new car has been criticized as being to too numb and has lost the feeling that the previous generation car had. Some even say that when comparing the 10th Gen Civic Type R to the Integra Type R. I guess that it all depends what sort of driving experience you are looking for and to each their own. Also if there is a new hybrid drivetrain/awd it potentially will price out a lot of people (as the 10th Gen currently does) so the used car market for a 10th Gen CTR will have some buyers that can’t afford an 11th Gen CTR.

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
That depends on several factors. If it is just an evolution of its current design with better performance in a front engine fwd platform that still offers a manual, yes, that will impact the value of the current generation. If they add AWD, or no longer offer a manual, our current generation will hold a strong value. This happened to the C7 corvette when it was announced there would not be a manual offered in the C8.

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
That depends on several factors. If it is just an evolution of its current design with better performance in a front engine fwd platform that still offers a manual, yes, that will impact the value of the current generation. If they add AWD, or no longer offer a manual, our current generation will hold a strong value. This happened to the C7 corvette when it was announced there would not be a manual offered in the C8.
Again, if another version of the type R comes out, it will definitely put this one on the back burner at least initially. It doesn't matter what features, options it has etc., people always initially flock to the newer shinier vehicle. That doesn't mean there will not be a market for the 10th gen R, it just means it will not be as sought after.
Sponsored