Should I pay markup at this point?

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NHBP Acura RSX (sold), BB Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi guys, I've been looking for a Boost Blue Type R for quite some time. I'm from Houston, but surprisingly greater Houston area dealers are asking for an average of 5K over sticker. I kinda thought the markup craze would be over but I guess not lol

I expanded my search to Louisiana and one dealer had quoted me around 40.3K (before taxes+fees). The only accessories I requested are the all-weather floor mats and the cargo tray. Frankly, this is about a $700 markup using Honda's car builder thing as reference. Also, their destination and handling fees are $1100 so I guess it makes it a $600 markup? I didn't take shipping into account, but I've read people have driven their out-of-state Type R's right home so I'll probably do that.

It's a significant improvement, but I just wanted some insight from the forum. Should I pay the markup, or keep looking for an MSRP deal somewhere else?
Sponsored

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
$600 mark up for a Boost Blue? Buy it. Factories have been shut down on and off for months dude, you won't get this opportunity again.

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Probably 95% of all CTR owners paid above MSRP. The fact of the matter is Honda significantly undercut competitors on price despite having a substantially superior product- combine that with limited supply and you end up with dealer markups all over the place. Every Ford, Dodge, Chevy dealership in the country you can find V8 versions of their muscle cars in stock and often at a discount. Every Subaru dealership has STIs in stock. Not the case with Honda and the CTR.

Look at the price of a brand new Golf R or STI- then compare that to the CTR knowing it is a better car than either in terms of performance, depreciation, reliability, practicality, interior space, etc..

Used CTRs routinely go for basically MSRP with 20,000 miles.

At the end of the day, pay what you think the car is worth and not a cent more. Supply and demand is how things work in the US. If you don't buy it someone else will and they won't think twice. $600 markup is a great deal. Don't let some random person on the internet guilt you into thinking you made a mistake when you got what you wanted at a price you felt was reasonable.

CWNole95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CW FL5 #775, '23 SGP FL5 #10771, 2005 NFR S2K
Country flag
if the markup is less than $1,000 and the dealership is local, it would be pretty foolish to turn it down (IMO). That’s the color and car you want. Shipping via enclosed transport from out of state will cost you more than that.

I bought my first LE from out of state because I wanted to guarantee I would get one. Had it shipped via enclosed transport for approximately $1,100. Money well spent, but again, if you can snatch one up locally for minimal markup, it would be worth it (to me).

Also, regarding accessories, I tell everyone this. Try to establish a relationship with your local dealership’s parts manager. Then, e-mail them with price quotes from competitive online parts dealers for the desired accessories. More often than not, they will match or beat said prices. I have done this for more than 20 years and it has been a great arrangement. I would not pay retail for accessories, unless the dealership is requiring it as part of their profit on the deal.

Best of luck.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Hi guys, I've been looking for a Boost Blue Type R for quite some time. I'm from Houston, but surprisingly greater Houston area dealers are asking for an average of 5K over sticker. I kinda thought the markup craze would be over but I guess not lol

I expanded my search to Louisiana and one dealer had quoted me around 40.3K (before taxes+fees). The only accessories I requested are the all-weather floor mats and the cargo tray. Frankly, this is about a $700 markup using Honda's car builder thing as reference. Also, their destination and handling fees are $1100 so I guess it makes it a $600 markup? I didn't take shipping into account, but I've read people have driven their out-of-state Type R's right home so I'll probably do that.

It's a significant improvement, but I just wanted some insight from the forum. Should I pay the markup, or keep looking for an MSRP deal somewhere else?
Hey friend - Houston here - I bought from Louisiana since I saved 6k doing so. Just look around us by around 1000 miles and road trip out there / drive your car home.

Good luck with your search!

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
$600 Markup for accessories not that bad

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
no. you should be able to find this car for msrp if you look hard enough unless your looking for a LE.

but at $600 worth of accessories at a local dealer? id probably just do it lol.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
That's a good point about the transportation being more than that anyways. Might as well hop on this, my dude.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

If you buy out of state, a good chunk of your break in miles will be done too ;)

Like the others have said, due to limited supply with the production issues and further upstream supply chain issues for the automotive industry, there may not be too many more opportunities. If the price looks good to you, go for it. My dream car was a red CTR before I saw a Boost Blue in person... I can't blame for the craze, it's an amazing color. Scooping it for $600 markup without spending hours researching and calling dealers out of state sounds like a win.

JDMFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 CBP FK8 CTR
Country flag
In major metropolitan areas, getting one for MSRP in the color you want is pretty tough. However, that's not to say it's impossible like most say -- I think it can be done if it's been sitting around in the dealer's lot for too long.

I'd say picking one up for a <2K markup to avoid the hassle of shipping from out of state is an acceptable move. Personally, I paid a little over 1K markup from an AutoNation dealer in the SF Bay Area that was known to be super stingy, and it was super close to me, so I took that as a W.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Or you could save and see what 2022 has to offer for the Type R. I honestly wouldn't pay any huge markup for the car. Any markup that you do get should be used for accessories only. Also 95% of us didnt pay mark up on this car...If you were patent and persistent you could get this car at MSRP.

Id rather get a slightly used TypeR than buy one above MSRP with ADM. You don't want the ADM...

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Or you could save and see what 2022 has to offer for the Type R. I honestly wouldn't pay any huge markup for the car. Any markup that you do get should be used for accessories only. Also 95% of us didnt pay mark up on this car...If you were patent and persistent you could get this car at MSRP.

Id rather get a slightly used TypeR than buy one above MSRP with ADM. You don't want the ADM...
I feel like that percentage is a bit lower than that. If you're patient you might be able to find MSRP, but right now that's becoming less and less likely. No clue what 2022 will hold for the Type R, but I don't see Honda releasing one in 2022. Maybe 2023 or 2024 we'll see a Type R. Whether that will be an upgrade from this or not is still unknown.

Ismael Lafluer

Project Harukonokaze R-00691
First Name
Ismael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2016 Honda Accord sport, 2007 Honda Pilot
Country flag
someone was selling a boost blue in NC or Va I believe for 39k
Sponsored