shifting from 1st to 2nd gear

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Yeah I can see that. Take off right as the light turns green then lol
Do you experience this problem as well or are you just better at shifting than me lol?
Sponsored

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Do you experience this problem as well or are you just better at shifting than me lol?
I kind of know what you’re referring to, but it definitely doesn’t cause anyone to ride on my bumper lol. The gearing is so short it’s hard not to hit 3k in 1st gear, but the shift is but a second so it doesn’t slow me down much

foehammerone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
First off, I decided to pull the trigger and traded my 2016 Civic ExT to 2018 Si.

Though this is not my first manual car, I feel like totally noob doing the 1st to 2nd gear shifting. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I don't.

Can you guys share your 1st time experience driving the Si and if you have the same dilemma as mine, how did you overcome it?

TIA
1st to 2nd gear, the timing is different than other gear shifts. You need to keep the clutch in a bit longer before shifting. This is partly due to the difference in gear ratios vs. other shifts, and also Rev-hang (which can be tuned out), and the Clutch Delay valve.

Just keep the clutch in a little longer before letting off, vs. other shifts you can get off the clutch sooner.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I kind of know what you’re referring to, but it definitely doesn’t cause anyone to ride on my bumper lol. The gearing is so short it’s hard not to hit 3k in 1st gear, but the shift is but a second so it doesn’t slow me down much
Maybe it's just me lol or I'm thinking that cars are closer in my rear view mirror than they actually are. I guess I still need to adjust to it since my prior car did not have this issue.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
1st to 2nd gear, the timing is different than other gear shifts. You need to keep the clutch in a bit longer before shifting. This is partly due to the difference in gear ratios vs. other shifts, and also Rev-hang (which can be tuned out), and the Clutch Delay valve.

Just keep the clutch in a little longer before letting off, vs. other shifts you can get off the clutch sooner.
Keeping the clutch in a little longer in first gear means that you will have to keep the clutch in for more than a second, especially if you go past 3K and by doing that, you will lose all the speed that you built up.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Has anyone experience jerking when coasting in first gear in stop and go traffic? It feels like the car suddenly begins engine braking and then stops.

grifocx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
That usually means you’re probably in too tall of a gear for 1st. I tend to stay in 2nd until I’m at a stop. We have enough torque to handle that!
Sponsored

Last edited: