Smurf 40611

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Just got my Type R but can't wash my car at home so was wondering if there are any of you that use a self serve car wash and have any recommendations on what to use? I know enough to not use the brush at the wash, just needed advice on what i should purchase to bring with me when i go
Sponsored

zenren

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If I am not washing at home I rather just run it through the touchless automatic. I have never been able to get a car sparkling clean at a self serve unless I bring my own stuff, but then itll eat $10 in a hurry. Theres a touchless local here thats $7/8. It uses wax that I don't really want, but whatever, it won't turn the dryer on if I don't pay $8. The whole benefit though is the undercarriage wash, if it doesnt have that I will just buy whatevers cheapest and run along and hope the water isn't too hard.
In short, if you aren't washing it at home, don't overthink it, unless you don't put a price on a wash. I would highly suggest figuring out how to get it done at home though, you will save money and do a better job. I don't even have soft water or cover at home, I just use a filter and manipulate the shade.

EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
There is at least one thread of the back wing getting caught and damaged on non-touchless car wash (the kind with the long strips that rub on your car while washing). Do not use that style.

san44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I also can't wash my car at home so here's my typical process at a self serve that doesn't allow bucket washing. I bring a couple microfiber mitts, microfiber towels for drying, and a detail spray.

My goal is to avoid creating swirls or marring the paint as much as possible.

1. High pressure water wand to hose the car and clean most dust, mud, etc.
2. Hose down the brush and then use the foam brush ONLY to apply their thicker soap onto each panel. The soap should drip from the brush. Do not use the bristles against your paint!
-Coat one panel at a time and use a microfiber mitt or towel to clean each panel.​
-Hose down your microfiber mitt or towel after each panel.​
3. High pressure water wand to remove the soap.
4. If your wash bay has a spot free rinse, use that to rinse the car to avoid water spots.
5. Pull up to an area way from the bay and use clean dry microfiber towels with a drying aid or spray wax to dry the car.

Don't use any Pre-Soak soaping option since that will degrease any wax or sealant that you have.

This is my quick maintenance wash. It takes me about 15 minutes in the bay itself, then drying takes about 30 min. This car has so many nooks and crannies to dry.

Hopefully this helps.

Last edited:

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
if i have to use those coin-op places, i get a wash mitt that fits over one hand, and use the high powered soap spray to spray with the other. Soap spray the entire car, then while still holding down the trigger with one hand continue soap spraying and wiping with the other starting from the roof downwards.

Finish with spot-free rinse and at that point i just drive off to air dry. You can bring towels and window cleaner to clean/dry the windows. I dont touch the paint to dry.

I can usually get the whole car done with $5 which gives about 8 min last i tried.

OP
OP
Smurf 40611

Smurf 40611

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
I also can't wash my car at home so here's my typical process at a self serve that doesn't allow bucket washing. I bring a couple microfiber mitts, microfiber towels for drying, and a detail spray.

My goal is to avoid creating swirls or marring the paint as much as possible.

1. High pressure water wand to hose the car and clean most dust, mud, etc.
2. Hose down the brush and then use the foam brush ONLY to apply their thicker soap onto each panel. The soap should drip from the brush. Do not use the bristles against your paint!
-Coat one panel at a time and use a microfiber mitt or towel to clean each panel.​
-Hose down your microfiber mitt or towel after each panel.​
3. High pressure water wand to remove the soap.
4. If your wash bay has a spot free rinse, use that to rinse the car to avoid water spots.
5. Pull up to an area way from the bay and use clean dry microfiber towels with a drying aid or spray wax to dry the car.

Don't use any Pre-Soak soaping option since that will degrease any wax or sealant that you have.

This is my quick maintenance wash. It takes me about 15 minutes in the bay itself, then drying takes about 30 min. This car has so many nooks and crannies to dry.

Hopefully this helps.

this is great, thank you

OP
OP
Smurf 40611

Smurf 40611

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
There is at least one thread of the back wing getting caught and damaged on non-touchless car wash (the kind with the long strips that rub on your car while washing). Do not use that style.
yeah, i saw but i was talking about a self serve bay not an actual car wash. Appreciate the heads up

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
I go to the bays that have the brush. I just use their water and bring my own bucket, soap, etc.

OP
OP
Smurf 40611

Smurf 40611

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
I go to the bays that have the brush. I just use their water and bring my own bucket, soap, etc.
yeah thats what i plan on doing, i just ordered everything i needed

Tomek

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R | 1994 Honda Civic EX K20a
Country flag
I'm in a similar situation. Car lives in an urban indoor parking garage - no place to routinely wash at home unless I drive over to my parents' home or a friend's in the suburbs where they have the space.

What I did to make life easier and keep my car clean is this:

Had a detailer ceramic coat the car - this makes washing super easy.

With the coating, mainly a regular foam/rinse + blow dry "maintenance wash" gets the car clean. Dirt / dust literally falls off the car due to the coating. Maintenance wash takes <30 mins. Proper 2 bucket hand wash is really only needed if the car is really dirty, otherwise I can get away with just maintenance washes for quite some time.

What I do for the maintenance washes is this:

Go to the coin-op "self spray" during off hours (to avoid waiting lines). I do not use their soap as that stuff is not ideal for a coated car. Literally bring my own portable foam cannon + soap, and battery powered leaf blower. I use the self spray for their water to rinse and then use the bay / space to dry the car with the leaf blower.

What I did for a foam cannon: (this is a HUGE game changer in this situation)

If you are willing to invest in this process, it is a nice workaround in lieu of being able to comfortably clean a car 1x a week in a more conventional driveway / home garage scenario.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
I'm in a similar situation. Car lives in an urban indoor parking garage - no place to routinely wash at home unless I drive over to my parents' home or a friend's in the suburbs where they have the space.

What I did to make life easier and keep my car clean is this:

Had a detailer ceramic coat the car - this makes washing super easy.

With the coating, mainly a regular foam/rinse + blow dry "maintenance wash" gets the car clean. Dirt / dust literally falls off the car due to the coating. Maintenance wash takes <30 mins. Proper 2 bucket hand wash is really only needed if the car is really dirty, otherwise I can get away with just maintenance washes for quite some time.

What I do for the maintenance washes is this:

Go to the coin-op "self spray" during off hours (to avoid waiting lines). I do not use their soap as that stuff is not ideal for a coated car. Literally bring my own portable foam cannon + soap, and battery powered leaf blower. I use the self spray for their water to rinse and then use the bay / space to dry the car with the leaf blower.

What I did for a foam cannon: (this is a HUGE game changer in this situation)

If you are willing to invest in this process, it is a nice workaround in lieu of being able to comfortably clean a car 1x a week in a more conventional driveway / home garage scenario.

Hope this helps!
what?? this is awesome!

Tomek

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
what?? this is awesome!
Right!? My mind was blown when I first stumbled upon the modded foam cannon. So damn smart / resourceful yet simple.

Tomek

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does anybody know if there are any major downsides to going to one of those self-serve car wash stations and paying the $2-3 in quarters to pressure wash the car yourself? I used one a couple of days ago and was satisfied and now I'm just wondering about the quality of the soap that is used at these stations and if I'd still be better off washing the car on my own. If you don't want to leave swirls in your car wouldn't pressure washing your car with soap and water be a better bet the hand washing?
The self-serve car washes are great for what they are in terms of general maintenance cleaning as long as you don't use the brushes, are mindful of the high pressure and the areas of the car you are spraying.

Nothing will beat a proper hand wash but the self-serves are great for the in-between and just keeping general dirt, road salt, bird droppings, etc. at bay.

That said, the mystery soap those places use generally may not be ideal for the paint but it's less of an issue you aren't ceramic coated as proper coating maintenance require a ph neutral soap to ensure longevity and durability of the coating. I've relied on self-serves prior to having a ceramic coated car, especially in winter months, and never really felt like I had any issues with bad paint as a result (but I also supplemented with my own hand washing at home)

In other words, the pros probably outweigh the cons of the mystery soap if you aren't necessarily doing it for coating maintenance. Would still recommend hand washing yourself the right way periodically or finding a detailer you can trust for more thorough washes and paint care.
Sponsored

Last edited: