First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk7 RS
Country flag
Hello everyone!

I’ve got a handful of mods, and i’m planning to upgrade my factory turbo and i’ve got only 2 options.

RV6 turbo or 27won V1 turbo

Would anyone know which ones better in their opinion? The only reason why I have those two options is because I recently got the PRL 1.5 turbo inlet pipe and it’ll only fit turbos which are drop in/direct fit to oem turbo inlet pipe

So PRL Big turbo is off the table (I already asked them if the TIP would fit the PRL turbo, and they said no) I don’t want to go through the hassle of selling the 1.5 TIP either.

27won V2 is off the table too because it’s out of stock for ages now and don’t think it’s the right one for me.

MHI i heard a lot of mixed things about them so i’m not sure if i’m confident or keen on MHI

27won V1 ive heard good things and some bad things, the only reason why I haven’t cared about the 27won V1 negatives is bc of the civics i’ve seen with good numbers while running the V1

RV6 i haven’t heard much but still a good option

So my final question, which turbo is better? RV6 or 27Won V1?

I will be running PRL E85 with the turbo for max potential/performance

Current mods:
RV6 Catless downpipe
27won Front Mount Intercooler w/ charge pipes
PRL Cobra Cold Air Intake (RACE MAF)
PRL 1.5 Turbo Inlet Pipe (RACE MAF)
Invidia R400 Tripe Tip Catback Exhaust
TSP Stage 1 tune

In transit:
PRL Flex Fuel Kit

Future mods:
Blox racing throttle body
Skunk2 intake manifold

Thanks Civic X!
Sponsored

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hello everyone!

I’ve got a handful of mods, and i’m planning to upgrade my factory turbo and i’ve got only 2 options.

RV6 turbo or 27won V1 turbo

Would anyone know which ones better in their opinion? The only reason why I have those two options is because I recently got the PRL 1.5 turbo inlet pipe and it’ll only fit turbos which are drop in/direct fit to oem turbo inlet pipe

So PRL Big turbo is off the table (I already asked them if the TIP would fit the PRL turbo, and they said no) I don’t want to go through the hassle of selling the 1.5 TIP either.

27won V2 is off the table too because it’s out of stock for ages now and don’t think it’s the right one for me.

MHI i heard a lot of mixed things about them so i’m not sure if i’m confident or keen on MHI

27won V1 ive heard good things and some bad things, the only reason why I haven’t cared about the 27won V1 negatives is bc of the civics i’ve seen with good numbers while running the V1

RV6 i haven’t heard much but still a good option

So my final question, which turbo is better? RV6 or 27Won V1?

I will be running PRL E85 with the turbo for max potential/performance

Current mods:
RV6 Catless downpipe
27won Front Mount Intercooler w/ charge pipes
PRL Cobra Cold Air Intake (RACE MAF)
PRL 1.5 Turbo Inlet Pipe (RACE MAF)
Invidia R400 Tripe Tip Catback Exhaust
TSP Stage 1 tune

In transit:
PRL Flex Fuel Kit

Future mods:
Blox racing throttle body
Skunk2 intake manifold

Thanks Civic X!
Not going to matter which one you choose unless you get a fuel system. Even then it won't matter much. Whichever becomes available to you and you can afford. I've had the W1 when I had my SI and I loved it. Also would suggest you have some internals on-hand to minimize down time.

OP
OP
fk7_rs

fk7_rs

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk7 RS
Country flag
Not going to matter which one you choose unless you get a fuel system. Even then it won't matter much. Whichever becomes available to you and you can afford. I've had the W1 when I had my SI and I loved it. Also would suggest you have some internals on-hand to minimize down time.
flex fuel kit will be running with the turbo, and yeah i’m thinking of maybe getting some aftermarket rods and pistons, ive installed all my mods myself but rods and pistons, i don’t think i’m confident installing any internals parts and at the same time, i’m not sure how much a mechanic would charge for internal installs

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
W
flex fuel kit will be running with the turbo, and yeah i’m thinking of maybe getting some aftermarket rods and pistons, ive installed all my mods myself but rods and pistons, i don’t think i’m confident installing any internals parts and at the same time, i’m not sure how much a mechanic would charge for internal installs
Well you have to pull your motor, etc... But ya I would do that. Hopefully you can find a shop that knows about the 10th gens.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The RV6 on 93 octane will make similar power as w1 on e30. You'll need a fuel solution to max out the RV6 on e30

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Pretty much every turbo (except the GTX2867R) makes the same power on the stock fuel system. Flex fuel included.
The only difference you'll see between these two in terms of power is the powerband.

The W1 will spool quicker giving you a bit more low end torque. I believe it lights off at 3600-3800RPMs

The RV6 along with the W2 and GTX2860R have a lazier spool. Lighting off at like 4000-4400RPMs

The benefit to the RV6 being larger with its lazier spool is that it does not work as hard as the W1 while making the same power. It also gives you some headroom if you upgrade the fuel system.

There's also been some concern about the W1s reliablity. Some people have had issues with the turbo cracking.
The RV6 is relativity new so the reliability for that long term is still unknown.

Edit: You're looking at about $1900-$3000 for an engine pull, parts if you dont bring everything, machining (cylinder walls need to machined to allow JE pistons to expand. Block needs to notched to allow rod clearance) and re-install.

Last edited:

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
27WON is beta testing 27Won W2 ball bearing version so maybe you want to wait and watch 27WON blog to get update about W2 ball bearing version.

Boosted_01_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Country flag
Maybe I missed it, what's your power goals ?

I've been stalking a few builds. I would put my money on the RV6 turbo. I would run away from the W1 due to how unreliable they are, most selling the W1 are going to the RV6 or PRL big turbo. W2 wait a year, based on how unreliable the W1 is.

MHI is by far the most unreliable, plus seems like their compressor wheel is pretty small and you'll probably struggle to make 300whp, @edgeautosport killed 3 right away, even following their oil recommendation.

PRL is easily the most reliable, I've never had an issue with Garrett in any of my builds.

Save your money on the intake / TB, and put that into a big turbo set up. Your next mod should be a clutch.
Sponsored