Regret buying an Si instead of a Type R?

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
I can't stop laughing......

1. Insurance on the Si is cheaper due to lower risk and replacement cost. (Not really, no CTR crash records in the U.S whatsoever)
2. Fuel economy ratings are 28% better on the Si. (Prius are 100%better)
3. The Si has heated seats. (Socal, we need AC seats, not heated)
4. The Si has a sunroof. ( No headroom, can't even get in with a helmet.)
5. The Si has the Lane Watch camera. (You know how to drive ?)
6. The Si has three rear seating positions. The Type R only has two. (Sorry, 4th friend!) (I'm sorry, my hatch fits 2 people no problem. )
7. The Si has slightly quicker steering. The Type R steering was slowed down just a tad. (I have 3 steering mode which actually makes difference.)
8. You saved at least $10,000 buy buying an Si and probably more like $15,000 or more with ADM. (CTR resale will make it up)
9. If you drive the Type R as intended, you'll be spending at least $1,500 on expensive "track" tires every year. The Si's all-seasons should set you back less than $1,000 every 3-5 years. (Nope. A set of PS AS3 lasts way longer than normal tire if you don't track. 540 rating! mate! )

Talk about buyer's remorse .
Sponsored

Last edited:

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
You're butthurt already? The car isn't even for sale...

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I can't stop laughing......

1. Insurance on the Si is cheaper due to lower risk and replacement cost. (Not really, no CTR crash records in the U.S whatsoever)
2. Fuel economy ratings are 28% better on the Si. (Prius are 100%better)
3. The Si has heated seats. (Socal, we need AC seats, not heated)
4. The Si has a sunroof. ( No headroom, can't even get in with a helmet.)
5. The Si has the Lane Watch camera. (You know how to drive ?)
6. The Si has three rear seating positions. The Type R only has two. (Sorry, 4th friend!) (I'm sorry, my hatch fits 2 people no problem. )
7. The Si has slightly quicker steering. The Type R steering was slowed down just a tad. (I have 3 steering mode which actually makes difference.)
8. You saved at least $10,000 buy buying an Si and probably more like $15,000 or more with ADM. (CTR resale will make it up)
9. If you drive the Type R as intended, you'll be spending at least $1,500 on expensive "track" tires every year. The Si's all-seasons should set you back less than $1,000 every 3-5 years. (Nope. A set of PS AS3 lasts way longer than normal tire if you don't track. 540 rating! mate! )

Talk about buyer's remorse .
I'm flattered that you copied my post from the Si sub-forum even if it was taken completely out of context! You could at least give me credit for it. :)

Here's my original post that you copied from:

http://www.civicx.com/threads/regret-buying-an-si-instead-of-a-type-r.12188/

nyuofa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4, STI
I find it hilariously sad that an entire thread was created to 'justify' the Si over the CTR. Though I must commend him/her for organizing his/her thoughts with paragraphs, etc, vs either having 1 long paragraph, or using caps lock, or all of the above.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I find it hilariously sad that an entire thread was created to 'justify' the Si over the CTR. Though I must commend him/her for organizing his/her thoughts with paragraphs, etc, vs either having 1 long paragraph, or using caps lock, or all of the above.
The only justification(s) that people need are:
My needs are an SI
I currently can't afford an SI
I don't like the Type R
Lastly:
My S/O says I can't spend that much

Either one is a valid justification. Granted, if my wife says I can't spend that much on a car, either I list more reasons not to spend that much, or get a new wife.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Coming from someone who hasn't driven either car...

The Si is so underwhelming compared to the CTR that it's CTR or not a Honda for me. Is the CTR $10k more car? Could an Si + $10k aftermarket hang?

I would absolutely get a Tesla3 over an Si and probably just rent a car to go on road trips once or twice a year.
Sponsored