Anyone ran 245/35 or 255/35 tires instead of the 30 series instead yet?

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
I'm hoping the Pilot Sports are not as sticky, grabbing every pebble. I traded our 2003 Odyssey after 17 years, on the Type R. There's a change!
I still have my 2006 Honda Odyssey. 157K miles and still going strong. Too difficult to part with such a reliable minivan that's hauled my family and continues to haul us wherever we need to go even though the kids are now past their teens. Michelin's Defenders are what's on this van including my 08 CRV. Michelin such a great and dependable tire. Tried them all (Yokohama/Goodyear = terrible road noise). Nothing compares to Michelins.
Sponsored

Yellow Jacket

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR in PMM, 1000+ HP Dodge Challenger
Country flag
I just want to let anyone know who is considering the 255/35 R20's that I recently switched to them and love them. I got them from Discount Tire with my military discount (10% off) so $181 each.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/continental-extreme-contact-dws-06/p/25518

They run great, don't feel "floaty" at all, in fact I hardly notice a difference between these and stock. What I do know is that I'm a lot more confident driving around town because these things soak up the bumps and pot holes like the stock ones never did. Also, since the DWS stands for Dry, Wet, Snow, they are perfect for my climate which doesn't see much snow, but are good for freezing temperatures, rain, and even the occasional mild snow. I plan to run these all year round.

I've used these same tires on multiple other cars that I've owned, including an Audi A6, a Mercedes GL 450, and my 1000+ HP Dodge Challenger (street legal race car).

I highly recommend them!

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
I just want to let anyone know who is considering the 255/35 R20's that I recently switched to them and love them. I got them from Discount Tire with my military discount (10% off) so $181 each.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/continental-extreme-contact-dws-06/p/25518

They run great, don't feel "floaty" at all, in fact I hardly notice a difference between these and stock. What I do know is that I'm a lot more confident driving around town because these things soak up the bumps and pot holes like the stock ones never did. Also, since the DWS stands for Dry, Wet, Snow, they are perfect for my climate which doesn't see much snow, but are good for freezing temperatures, rain, and even the occasional mild snow. I plan to run these all year round.

I've used these same tires on multiple other cars that I've owned, including an Audi A6, a Mercedes GL 450, and my 1000+ HP Dodge Challenger (street legal race car).

I highly recommend them!
I went with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 255/40/18. Best tires, very comfortable and lots of grip. So much better than those OEM tires and wheels.

cogipro

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Civic Type R, '17 Vette GS vert 7sp manual
Country flag
New CTR purchase 3 weeks ago! I have loved all 108 miles I have put on it in the 3 weeks I have had it. I am in Oklahoma on the tail end of the Ice and snow storm. Naturally, I have not driven the R in 2 weeks! That fact naturally brings me to this thread regarding all season tires. We don't usually see the sub zero temps and 8 inches of persistent snow. Hence, I think all season rubber will suffice. Not going to track it and have a back up bad weather car. Still worried about the chug holes here which were worsened by the winter weather damage and the potential damage to the stock wheels given by the low profile OEMs.
I see many have gone to 245/35/20 or 255/35/20 with the stock wheels of various brands with mixed but largely improved results in many areas. Nikko, Conti, Michelin and FAlken have all been mentioned. Has anyone considered, or actually purchased the BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2A/S Plus 255/35ZR20? Looks to be highly rated , but I highly value the opinions of those who know this car and its behaviors. Of course, any experience with these tires helps too.
Thanks already for the helpful posts on this thread and any additional insight you may provide.
Curt

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
FWIW I have 245/35/20 Michelin AS3+ as my "winter" setup. Driving wise, they are very good but I would not say identical to OEM which were on another level (in the dry). With these, there is a sliiiiiight feeling of float when really pushing the car through tight corners, enough where I have to reduce my entry speed by a few MPH to have the same confidence as I had with the stock tires. But still, for performance all seasons, they are excellent.

That said, I did hit a nasty pothole that took out both the AS3+ and my wheel. Not bad enough where the shop can't repair the wheel but the tire got a bubble and is toast. I've hit 2 or 3 nasty potholes with these before this and they took it with no issue, but one this big was just too much. Not sure if even the 255/35 or 18/19" guys would have survived that one.

For anyone interested, I would say this is as close as you'll get to a summer tire for all seasons. Awesome in the dry, good in the rain, survivable at normal speeds in light snow, pretty bad in heavy snow.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
How many miles on the AS3+ before you encountered snow? I had to wear the "new" off for several hundred miles before ours would bite - since then they've been great in the Berkshires, as long as you avoid snow over ice (as in my inclined driveway!)

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Maybe 250 miles until the first light snowfall? Would assume long enough to break them in but who knows.

It was pretty icey the past few snowstorms though.

cogipro

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Civic Type R, '17 Vette GS vert 7sp manual
Country flag
Pulled the trigger on the AS3+ today . Went with the 255/35/20 on the stock wheels after TheGreekFreak posted the pothole experience. I thought perhaps the greater surface area of the 255 would disperse pothole impact just a bit better so that was more of a safety/future expense reason. Robertson Tire here in Tulsa gave me no pushback on the upsizing from stock. Got the road hazard insurance to be on the safe side. That is odd for me as I almost always just roll the dice. Coming home I noticed a tremendous number of potholes. Looked like an exposed minefield. I'm looking forward to driving on decent pavement so as to relax and enjoy. Thanks to all for the advice and feedback. This is a great forum!

mr shrimp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Hi. New to the forum. For all that went w 255/35/20 set up. What psi are you guys going? W the incr in volume do you guys go up in psi?

todda

2018 Aegean blue CTR 14103
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag
Ok I do like the stock wheels and probably plan to keep them but not a fan of the thin tires. Was just wondering if anyone tried 245/35 or 255/35 tires on the stock wheels yet? It will give about 1 inch more of rubber protection and comfort compare to the stock ones and with stock height Iā€™m pretty sure there wonā€™t be any rubbing issues and maybe even with a slight 1 inch drop in the future it should be fine. I do understand it will be bigger and the speedometer will be off a lil with bigger diameter wheels.
I have had Continental Extreme DWS All seasons on my CTR for almost a year, and they are great. They have the 35 mm sidewall and the ride is a little cushier and potholes and road deviations are less of a nuisance. I drive about 95% highway so they suit my driving style perfectly, and they are very durable too.

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have had Continental Extreme DWS All seasons on my CTR for almost a year, and they are great. They have the 35 mm sidewall and the ride is a little cushier and potholes and road deviations are less of a nuisance. I drive about 95% highway so they suit my driving style perfectly, and they are very durable too.
Ummm, if youā€™re on 255/35-20s, your sidewalls arenā€™t 35mm, 3.5ā€ maybe? Maybe you meant 35 series, thatā€™s the percentage of width to determine sidewall height or what is often called thickness. 255 x .35=89.25mm aka 8.925 cm aka 3.51ā€ but glad you like them.
I went with 19ā€ x 9.5 with 255/35, lowered AOK.

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone ran 245/35 or 255/35 tires instead of the 30 series instead yet? IMG_5759
Sponsored