jus_nation

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
My Civic X 2019 has the following problem after changing the front grill to an after market one:

- Feels like my car has a significant loss in horsepower. I would have to step on the accelerator real hard to get the car pushing forward. The turbo torque seems to be gone. Feels like I am driving a pure 1.5L non turbo on a Civic X body

- The fog lamps and headlights seem to be affected. Brightness reduced

- Car has better power if I do not drive it for a week or two but only just a slight increase in power

- Above issues only happened after I changed my front grill, I had no problem with the car's horsepower and headlights dimness prior. During the installation, the mechanic had to remove the bumper, the original front grill, unplug and plug back my fog lamps and headlights before completing the installation

- A few days ago I went to a Honda Service Center to install back the original grill with the hope to solve the above problem. The fog lamps and the headlights are now back to their normal brightness. However, I am still experiencing the reduction in car power. Does anyone have any idea why this is so or what is causing this? This is very upsetting :(
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Can you hook up an OBD-II reader to see if there are any codes?

Your issue seems pretty unusual.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Under the dash. Left of the steering wheel.

OP
OP

jus_nation

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
Under the dash. Left of the steering wheel.
Thank you much, greatly appreciated. I did mention my issue to Honda and they ran their scanner but told me no error message was found. Is this OBD scanner similar to what they used?

JO3L

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1E5, NA6CE
Country flag
Sounds like the mechanic who installed your grill may have knocked a hose clamp loose on the intercooler piping or worse even punctured the tubes. I felt the very same thing when I installed my new intercooler and either forgot to tighten a hose clamp or didnt tighten it enough.

OP
OP

jus_nation

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
Sounds like the mechanic who installed your grill may have knocked a hose clamp loose on the intercooler piping or worse even punctured the tubes. I felt the very same thing when I installed my new intercooler and either forgot to tighten a hose clamp or didnt tighten it enough.
Hmm, but he did not touch the intercooler piping area though

OP
OP

jus_nation

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
LATEST DEVELOPMENT:

I just noticed that my car's power seems to be related to my headlights. My headlights seem to be dim on certain days bright on certain days and when the lights are dim, the lack of power is very obvious and when the lights are bright, the power seems quite similar to how the car was before all this problem began

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
LATEST DEVELOPMENT:

I just noticed that my car's power seems to be related to my headlights. My headlights seem to be dim on certain days bright on certain days and when the lights are dim, the lack of power is very obvious and when the lights are bright, the power seems quite similar to how the car was before all this problem began
Sounds like a loose ground. Either a stand alone ground strap or a pin in a plug or the plug itself.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
May i know what pin are you referring to?
Wiring harnesses end in a plug. All the wires have a metal pin that snaps into the plug. Sometimes a pin can work it’s way loose. The fact they removed parts around ground cables and harnesses would make sense something got worked loose.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know why any mechanic would mess with wiring or piping when removing the bumper to replace the grille. The only wiring that needs to be disconnected is the fogs if you have them. But yes it sounds like an electrical problem.

OP
OP

jus_nation

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
Latest update:

I got the service center to reset the headunit and the ECU

The car's horsepower seems to be back to its original state intermittently. The reduction in horsepower seems to be there when I on the headunit to listen to the music. The louder I on the radio, the more the car seems to lose horsepower. This is coupled with the fact that the headlight is dimmed as well. Another way the horsepower seems to be back to its original state was if I have driven the car for more than 5 10 mins, then turned the car off and then start it again. The car will then be fine till I accelerate at high speed. The car seems to loose its steam the faster I go. Whatever modifications I did to the car, I have reverted or removed them. This is really weird

fc1_2033

First Name
Amirul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T
Country flag
Hey man, sorry to dig up an old thread. Did you manage to solve this issue? I'm experiencing the same exact issues as you and it's frustrating.
Sponsored