Recently purchased '19 CTR - Oil question

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Yeah *not this again*... I have searched and searched and searched and I cant find what I am looking for.

I am fine if someone says search but at least give me a link or terms to search because I am finding information close to what I am looking for but not what I am looking for. I searched for oil analyses for different oils but all I seem to find are people having their factory fill checked by blackstone.

I recently bought my Type R with 9900 miles - it just hit 10k miles - and the dealer I got the car from changed the oil (Subaru dealership). I have no idea what they put in it - I assume 0w20 synthetic. Anyways I am traveling over Thanksgiving and want to put a known oil in the car and not guess at what the dealer used.

Ive used Pennzoil Platinum in the past on various cars.. most recently Valvoline extended on my WRX that I had prior to this. I dont want to shell out for Motul or Amsoil because I wont be tracking the car - if I do, it wont be anytime soon (I just work too much and when I am not working I have my toddler). Is the oil at the Honda dealership fine to use?

Castrol? Mobil 1? Valvoline? Pennzoil? I just want to avoid oil shearing and fuel dilution. I did read to just change it according to the maintenance minder, and I am fine with that.

I expect to be berated and flamed for posting this but Ive run out of ideas on what to search for on here. ( I found a lot for the SI and other trims).

Thanks
Sponsored

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
for GDI turbo engines. mobil one ep, driven DI20 oil, quaker state ultimate durability.

source www.bobistheoilguy.com

bigdogpapa

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Fit Ex-L CVT , 2019 Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Yeah *not this again*... I have searched and searched and searched and I cant find what I am looking for.

I am fine if someone says search but at least give me a link or terms to search because I am finding information close to what I am looking for but not what I am looking for. I searched for oil analyses for different oils but all I seem to find are people having their factory fill checked by blackstone.

I recently bought my Type R with 9900 miles - it just hit 10k miles - and the dealer I got the car from changed the oil (Subaru dealership). I have no idea what they put in it - I assume 0w20 synthetic. Anyways I am traveling over Thanksgiving and want to put a known oil in the car and not guess at what the dealer used.

Ive used Pennzoil Platinum in the past on various cars.. most recently Valvoline extended on my WRX that I had prior to this. I dont want to shell out for Motul or Amsoil because I wont be tracking the car - if I do, it wont be anytime soon (I just work too much and when I am not working I have my toddler). Is the oil at the Honda dealership fine to use?

Castrol? Mobil 1? Valvoline? Pennzoil? I just want to avoid oil shearing and fuel dilution. I did read to just change it according to the maintenance minder, and I am fine with that.

I expect to be berated and flamed for posting this but Ive run out of ideas on what to search for on here. ( I found a lot for the SI and other trims).

Thanks
I would suggest you read 540ratblog. You will find that Quaker State Full Synthetic 5w30 is very highly rated.

Hatchi

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Prius, 2020 BBP CTR
Country flag
Yeah frequency can substitute shitty oil. I change mine + filter every 3k miles, but I buy pretty decent oil still. Nothing motul or anything wild but most recent oil change I tried out Royal Purple 0w-20. Nice stuff, no significant improvements over my last oil which was some amazon $23 full synth 0w-20. I'm sure if I was leaking oil from somewhere the Royal Purple would be great to help diagnose, but alas I take care of the car, and it's a Honda.

Hell, put some fryer grease in there. Will prob run for a good 500 miles on that alone... Just stay on top of changes for filter/oil and you're fine.

barbapapa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R Championship White
Country flag
I'm interested in started to change my own oil, how many quarts are you guys putting in and how are you disposing of it? Sorry I'm an oil change noob

Found the big thread with all the relevant info. Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
What made you think you need motul or amsoil for the track?? Marketing...online forums?
I definitely didnt think that, its just all I found people recommending. Too rich for my blood. But I suppose its okay to leave this oil in for a while - I just have no idea what the Subaru dealer used. I can assume 0w20 synthetic. But I am just guessing.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

Thanks
I still use the OEM oil on my FK8. Though others have used other stuff. In reality any 0W-20 should do. Did the dealership you purchased it from tell you they changed the oil?

If not, you can see the oil life remaining by looking through the instrument cluster screens and finding the Maintenance minder, it'll display a percentage life left on the oil which is calculated based on driving style end the environment the car is in (so highway driving with a warm motor will decrease the left far less than hard city driving with a cold motor).

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Our engine isn't a BMW s65/s85. For 99% of people the oem Honda oil is fine. If you are tracking the car maybe change it after a track day. Otherwise follow the maintenance minder

FK8CW2019

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
since you bought it used prob want to check any money shift codes

fannyypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK7
Country flag
I'm interested in started to change my own oil, how many quarts are you guys putting in and how are you disposing of it? Sorry I'm an oil change noob

Found the big thread with all the relevant info. Thanks
Check your owners manual. For the type R it’s 5.3 Qts not including the filter, or 5.7 Qts with the filter. Engine oil can be disposed of at any big auto shop (Autozone, O’Reilly’s, etc.)

OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
I still use the OEM oil on my FK8. Though others have used other stuff. In reality any 0W-20 should do. Did the dealership you purchased it from tell you they changed the oil?

If not, you can see the oil life remaining by looking through the instrument cluster screens and finding the Maintenance minder, it'll display a percentage life left on the oil which is calculated based on driving style end the environment the car is in (so highway driving with a warm motor will decrease the left far less than hard city driving with a cold motor).
They put their stupid little sticker on the windshield and the maintenance minder says oil life 100%.

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
They changed the oil - if it blows up its on them. That said just roll with it (no pun intended) and change it again when you are supposed to (its a honda)...