Put on winter tires with steelies and center cap area is rusting

otaknap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016, RDX 2008
Country flag
i just put on my winter steelies on my new 2016 civic ex. within 2 days the center cap area (not sure what it's called) has started to rust. there was absolutely no rust when i took out the alloy rims.

I know it was going to rust down the road but i didn't expect it to rust that fast.

What's the quickest way to clean this? aluminum foil? and is there a center cap or something i can buy to cover it up or is the best alternative hub cap covers?

thanks!

Honda Civic 10th gen Put on winter tires with steelies and center cap area is rusting 20161127_165157

Honda Civic 10th gen Put on winter tires with steelies and center cap area is rusting 20161127_165145

skstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
it would have rusted regardless with or without the center cap

if youre that bothered by it, i think you can get wheel covers or hubcaps or whatever you call them

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I use White Lithium Grease to prevent the wheels from sticking to the hub and I spray the centre as well, it still rust but not as bad.

It's an eye sore. In a few years your steelies will rust as well.

It's winter, it's messy. Give a few weeks you'll get over it.

If not, ask the shop where you bought them if they can order you centre caps.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
:doh: Not trying to be mean, but like really? You have much bigger things to worry about than that. Focus on making sure you're car is ready for the winter, which you have winter tires which is a good start. Make sure you're fluids are good to go and that you have an emergency kit in you're car in case you get stranded. My car is way more rusted in that area and I rust proofed my car the day I drove it off the lot, some things are unavoidable especially rust. Good luck.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
People be like omg any rust is going to make my car fall apart!

Yes, generally rust is never good, but it's only on some parts of the vehicle where you really have to be worried about. Any rust on sheet metal is bad. Rust on frame contact points are bad. Rust on vital suspension components like steering racks are bad.

Surface rust is nothing to worry about.
Rust on an exposed steel part, is absolutely inevitable. If you're that worried about rust on a wheel hub, then don't drive in the damn winter.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I used anti seize on my wheels between the mating surfaces and on my nuts, that's what the over spray shit is.
Honda Civic 10th gen Put on winter tires with steelies and center cap area is rusting IMG_0565.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Put on winter tires with steelies and center cap area is rusting IMG_0566.JPG

OP
OP

otaknap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016, RDX 2008
Country flag
:doh: Not trying to be mean, but like really? You have much bigger things to worry about than that. Focus on making sure you're car is ready for the winter, which you have winter tires which is a good start. Make sure you're fluids are good to go and that you have an emergency kit in you're car in case you get stranded. My car is way more rusted in that area and I rust proofed my car the day I drove it off the lot, some things are unavoidable especially rust. Good luck.
I'm definitely being super anal and I know that the area will be bound to rust. But since the vehicle is still so new, I would like to keep it in the most pristine condition possible and if buying hub caps or center caps will help keep it looking better, I want to go that route. I'm doing it completely for aesthetics. then again, maybe I should have just bought alloy rims.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I'm definitely being super anal and I know that the area will be bound to rust. But since the vehicle is still so new, I would like to keep it in the most pristine condition possible and if buying hub caps or center caps will help keep it looking better, I want to go that route. I'm doing it completely for aesthetics. then again, maybe I should have just bought alloy rims.
Or you can buy a can of known rust proof stuff and cost it which will cover up and actually stop rust.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Cars generally look ugly in winter mode anyways lol

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is all cost saving stuff that manufacturers don't do to keep sticker prices down. Ultimately it doesn't make much of a difference, but you can do a lot to your vehicle yourself to make it better cheaper than manufacturers can.

Get yourself some POR-15 and paint it. Grab some under-body coating and spray your inner fenders.

Howelldaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Civic coupe,99 Cougar, 89 Mustang LX 5.0, 70'Cuda, 06 Mustang Pony convert, 17 CivicTouring coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Spray it with black paint or dip it.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Spray it with black paint or dip it.
Plastidip will do nothing to stop the rust. Using a paint like POR-15 will actually stop the rust (*when applied correctly and by the directions), but just normal spray paint will not.

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
Anyone get centre hub caps for this? Have nice new steelies, and the rust makes them look shit. :)

blancobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 LX sedan
Country flag
Anyone get centre hub caps for this? Have nice new steelies, and the rust makes them look shit. :)

BUMP

2020 LX sedan. Also needing center caps for OE 16" steel wheel. I tried some cheap aftermarket ones at 69mm but the tabs were too stiff to go into the hub. Should I be looking for 64mm?

Jervic

First Name
Jeramy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport hatchback
Country flag
Normal here,put anti sieze paste to slow rusting on mine.
Sponsored