Pre intercool temps readed 85-near 100°C after some friday night mexico runs, thoughts???

RIC3HUNT3R

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Lx"FK7" (Canadian spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the weather here in SW Ontario was fcking ? tonight, was chilling in the gazebo when I heard some cars/bikes doing some runs near a "mexico strip" that i know.

I headed out and did a nice cruise in my TSP stage 1 Civic hatchback, and had a blast especially the twistys.

The point being is that my pre intercooler temps have always been 80ish but after tonight my temps readed at 95-99°C, being stationary or course. My post intercooler temps where between 25-40°C which is the sweet spot I've found possibly. But in usual fashion it dogged out after peeking at 55°C

My concern is what is the max threshold of temperature that the L15B7/L15BA can hold before some serious consequences???

P.s: I prefer temps to be in celsius.
Sponsored

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Are you sure your temps were 95-99C? Thats equivalent to 200+ F. Granted it is pre intercooler, your intake temps are higher than that of operating temp of the vehicle. I would certainly be concerned.

OP
OP
RIC3HUNT3R

RIC3HUNT3R

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are you sure your temps were 95-99C? Thats equivalent to 200+ F. Granted it is pre intercooler, your intake temps are higher than that of operating temp of the vehicle. I would certainly be concerned.
They peeked at 95-99°C after being at idle for 10 minutes, I drove it lightly home and it went back down to 80ish.

Can you plz explain more why this would be a possible concern for such a high pre intercooler temp?

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
They peeked at 95-99°C after being at idle for 10 minutes, I drove it lightly home and it went back down to 80ish.

Can you plz explain more why this would be a possible concern for such a high pre intercooler temp?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but you are referring to IAT1 correct? If so, make sure you are on Celsius and not Fahrenheit. If you are indeed on Celsius then that’s stating that the air coming from outside, traveling through the air box and read by the maf (which is maybe no more than 2ft) is hotter than the hottest place in the world, my friend.

Maybe your sensor is broken or calibrated incorrectly?

If everything is proper, what intercooler are you running? I’m sure myself and a few other people on the forum would be highly interested.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Any chance of you posting a datalog (in a .zip file)?

Are you sure you weren't looking at ECT temps?

You said you were pushing it hard in Mexico, then idled for 10 minutes. That scenario would give you quite elevated intake temp readings. However a 200F IAT1 reading seems virually insane!

Last edited:

OP
OP
RIC3HUNT3R

RIC3HUNT3R

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any chance of you posting a datalog (in a .zip file)?

Are you sure you weren't looking at ECT temps?

You said you were pushing it hard in Mexico, then idled for 10 minutes. That scenario would give you quite elevated intake temp readings. However a 200F IAT1 reading seems virually insane!
Update, the 85-99°C is in Celsius and it was the ECT temps. The temps I kept calling post "intercooler temps" was IAT temps. ????

Silly me. But still interested if thats fine or if thats a concern.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
As I suspected. And under the conditions, totally expected.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I thought you must have installed your "pre intercooler" sensor yourself.
Otherwise, there is no sensor between the compressor and the intercooler. When idling there is so little air flow that the IAT1 can finally heat soak to about engine temperature.
Sponsored