POLL Is a drop in turbo considered a build (more than FBO)

Does installing a drop in turbo make your modded car a build or still just FBO

• Total voters
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
And this is how we come from modding a car fbo to calling some mods a build. We let them lower the bar of a build so much that now you can call anything a build! I put my ktuner and seibon wing on, welp build according to the kids of today. Although the seibon wing did require drilling and modification that did not use factory placement. I still don't consider mine a build.
Technically aftermarket forged rods and pistons "bolt in" too. So is a built engine a "bolt on" mod? And on the flip side is the custom turbo I had made that uses factory compressor and turbine housings a "bolt on" mod even though it had to be machined specifically for the wheels that were put in it? Is a PRL turbo kit a "bolt on" mod? Last I checked that doesn't require the end user to fabricate anything.

It's all too vague to draw a line at any point so I don't see a reason to draw a line. Calling someone's modified car "not a build" and someone else's car with what could be similar amount of work a "build" just seems pedantic.

And on that note, I'll see myself out...
Sponsored

OP
OP
dallasjhawk

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So does a custom sound system constitute a build?

What about adding bolt on suspension parts? How many does it take?

Also, who cares? It's all penis measuring and takes away from joy

By some folks measure I don't have a build, but by others I have a lot of mods.

I just enjoy driving. Don't let these people and their comparison jealousy ruin your day
Says who?
Having a built motor doesn't define having a build...

And then we can get into built or bought... If we really want to gatekeep

Get that shit attitude out of here

This is a place where we share info and help each other. You wanna get into dick measuring keep that in FB
Y'all's pendantry is pointless...
What does this debate accomplish?
I've posed other questions as to what qualifies and no one has answered...
These are you posts here so far. Rhetorical questions that you dont want the answer too while calling it a penis measuring contest lol.

adw818

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic type R
Country flag
bolting aftermarket parts to your car does not make a build. hence FBO
Thanks for clarifying this professor, glad I learned something new. This whole time the whole car world misunderstands the terms. You should post up some links to your educational seminars, we could all use the information it seems.

OP
OP
dallasjhawk

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And what makes an engine "built"? Can you replace rods and pistons and call it "built"? Even if those parts were bought from a catalog and "bolted-in" to the engine? šŸ˜…
Yep, because you took the engine apart, then built it up and put it back together. thanks for proving my point
Technically aftermarket forged rods and pistons "bolt in" too. So is a built engine a "bolt on" mod? And on the flip side is the custom turbo I had made that uses factory compressor and turbine housings a "bolt on" mod even though it had to be machined specifically for the wheels that were put in it? Is a PRL turbo kit a "bolt on" mod? Last I checked that doesn't require the end user to fabricate anything.

It's all too vague to draw a line at any point so I don't see a reason to draw a line. Calling someone's modified car "not a build" and someone else's car with what could be similar amount of work a "build" just seems pedantic.

And on that note, I'll see myself out...
Nope, you did actual building of the engine, you took it apart, spent time beefing it up, putting parts together and in.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
then you aren't reading. Can't help you there. Again, bolting aftermarket parts to your car is not a build. it's modding. You are building a car a la these speed shops you see on tv building street cars for people to drive or at the track to race etc.
You haven't read either. I asked about custom audio. To what extent is suspension modding just fbo?

Here are other thoughts then...

Is buying the tsp block and having a shop put it in a build?

I have rl calipers, but I had to grind to get my 2 piece rotors to fit, is that just a bolt on?

What makes y'all the judges of this?

It goes on and on

OP
OP
dallasjhawk

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for clarifying this professor, glad I learned something new. This whole time the whole car world misunderstands the terms. You should post up some links to your educational seminars, we could all use the information it seems.
you asked the question, don't like the answer so that's your comeback? Yeah wont waste anymore time with that

OP
OP
dallasjhawk

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You haven't read either. I asked about custom audio. To what extent is suspension modding just fbo?

Here are other thoughts then...

Is buying the tsp block and having a shop put it in a build?

I have rl calipers, but I had to grind to get my 2 piece rotors to fit, is that just a bolt on?

What makes y'all the judges of this?

It goes on and on but
you asked those question in a in a smart ass way and you know it. You can "build" a custom audio system yes, doesnt make your car a build. I would say and have in the past, I have a badass stereo build, custom built, made the box, ran the wires put the amps in spots that weren't factory etc...

But you call me pedantic but here you are being pedantic, pot meet kettle lol

OP
OP
dallasjhawk

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

JonStewK20C2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX K20C2 6MT
Country flag
Anyone heard of the saying "Keep it simple stupid"?

The simplest way to see this is that we all like doing stuff to our cars to make them our own. No need to complicate it or say you are a part of this "tribe" or that "tribe". We all like the same thing. Simple as, simple is.

orange.nissan

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Nissan, 2019 Civic Touring Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I think whether or not something is a build depends on the owner of the vehicle. I don't consider my civic a build even though I'm slowly adding bolt-ons and suspension mods and cosmetic stuff to it. But I do consider my orange car a build, even though it's not really modified for performance. One car is a build because I focus on building it up, and the other is just my daily, even though its faster and has more performance mods.

OP
OP
dallasjhawk

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Cody FKH8R

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
So let me get this straightā€¦all the stock block K series awd hatches arenā€™t ā€œbuildsā€ ?

asking for a friendā€¦.
Sponsored