Old School Turbo S.O.P

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
Purchased my first factory boosted car about 30 years ago (in the UK). Back then, it was considered standard protocol to let the car idle a few minutes in order to let the turbo spool down, after being driven. Shutting the engine off as soon as the car was parked, was considered a bad driving habit, that could promote turbo seizure & premature failure. I still do this SOP with my 17 Si, as I figured it sure won't hurt, but wondering if anyone else does this with the newer turbo motors? (purchased the Si new & did my own engine break-in & do all my own maintenance)
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
I know that’s the thing with the turbocharged engine, hence the turbo timer. What I usually do before I reach my destination is to just cruise around so it’ll cool down a bit and then shut it off once I park it.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If you were driving hard, then it wouldn't hurt to wait a few minutes before shutting the engine off. These newer turbo cars don't have to be handled so delicately, especially just during normal, tame driving. On the other end, I do suggest letting the engine warm to operating temp before driving. I usually wait a few minutes to let the idle RPMs drop below 800 after a cold start.

Almost all of the Honda motors are turbocharged nowadays and I highly doubt most of their consumers have even heard of such a thing to let the engine idle for a few minutes before shutting it off. You should be fine!

OP
OP
Old F@rt

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
If you were driving hard, then it wouldn't hurt to wait a few minutes before shutting the engine off. These newer turbo cars don't have to be handled so delicately, especially just during normal, tame driving. On the other end, I do suggest letting the engine warm to operating temp before driving. I usually wait a few minutes to let the idle RPMs drop below 800 after a cold start.

Almost all of the Honda motors are turbocharged nowadays and I highly doubt most of their consumers have even heard of such a thing to let the engine idle for a few minutes before shutting it off. You should be fine!

I drive my Si hard & wouldn't have bought an Si if not. I'm not concerned about the health of my own Si's turbo, but was just putting the question out there.

I'm sure most owners have never heard of letting the turbo spool down or cool off either. I also wonder how many mainstream turbo owners, are not even aware their engine is fitted with a turbo?

I appreciate your input

racerguy180

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Acura Integra GS-R 2001 Acura Integra GS 2014 Acura MDX Advance
Country flag
if I go backroads blasting I'll definitely chill out for a minute or 2 before shutting down the motor. but pretty much anything else, no problems.

the real problem was oil/turbo bearings back in the day. newer stuff is newer tech, better components and engineering.

skottharrison

First Name
Skott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Country flag
I drive my Si hard & wouldn't have bought an Si if not. I'm not concerned about the health of my own Si's turbo, but was just putting the question out there.

I'm sure most owners have never heard of letting the turbo spool down or cool off either. I also wonder how many mainstream turbo owners, are not even aware their engine is fitted with a turbo?

I appreciate your input
Au contraire, mon frere... Having an old-school Apexi or Greddy turbo timer was the apex of driving back in the day when GTRs and RX7s ruled the streets... I too think about whether a turbo should be idled, but I think to myself, if you're tracking the car and ripping boost with back-to-back runs, perhaps letting the car, turbo and oil cool down and circulate might be wise, but with normal driving I doubt it's a concern with modern motors (And oil).

I think, an oil temperature gauge might be warranted and something I may pursue as many other performance vehicles have them standard...

racerguy180

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Acura Integra GS-R 2001 Acura Integra GS 2014 Acura MDX Advance
Country flag
I had one on my FD3S and only thing i used it for was idling without the keys in ignition while street racing. set it for max(can't remember what max was on hks) and go back every xxx min to turn key to on.

on any performance oriented vehicle, its wise to cool temps back to "normal" before shutting off.

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It probably wouldn’t hurt but these things are pretty efficient. They also have coolant to help keep temps down as well. Not all old turbo cars had this.

With technology now a days in these cars, I doubt you need to do that.
Sponsored