Okay...lame, but this works for me! (CarPlay connectivity woes...!)

fsucutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red EX-L Hatchback
Country flag
Hello all, I've been pissed off since I got this, otherwise great, car with the CarPlay connectivity issues - you know, you plug in your iPhone and it either connects for a minute or so and then disconnects or simply doesn't connect at all!

Seems if you disconnect and reconnect it, most often, works until the next off/on of the car.

Taking this two connection need to heart, I tried the following and have had good success with it.

I used to get the bad connection 9 outta 10 times and now have it work properly 9 outta 10 times. A good enough turn-around in success to provide a bit of happiness!

Basically, I plug the phone in and then unplug it after about a half to 1 second later. Then plug it right back in again. So, instead of driving off and having it drop off and me need to try to disconnect/reconnect while driving, I do the 'second' plug in right off the bat.

Lame and basically doubles the overall wear and tear of the cable going in and out of iPhone socket (but I was already doing that, just after a minute or so before) - but it works for me!!

Anyone else?
Sponsored

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I've taken to unplugging and re-plugging the USB end of the cable into the console since it's easier to do one-handed.

OP
OP

fsucutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red EX-L Hatchback
Country flag
I've taken to unplugging and re-plugging the USB end of the cable into the console since it's easier to do one-handed.
Good idea, I would only worry that I'd be transferring the (unnecessary!) wear and tear of multiple plug/unplugging to the jack in the car...probably even more 'difficult'/expensive to repair if and when it begins to degrade from overuse.

A pain in the butt either way...

eaglesmerlin1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX HB
Good suggestion to this annoyance. At least you tried, I mentioned the head unit was a crap sandwich when I picked up my tags at the dealership and dummy goes along the lines of "well, at least its nothing mechanical " yeah, thanks guy.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Good idea, I would only worry that I'd be transferring the (unnecessary!) wear and tear of multiple plug/unplugging to the jack in the car...probably even more 'difficult'/expensive to repair if and when it begins to degrade from overuse.

A pain in the butt either way...
Yeah, I was thinking of how it might wear out the car socket as I was writing that post. USB-A is pretty durable, but still...

identikit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Try deleting the Honda app from your phone if you downloaded it. That fixed most of my disconnection issues. The app doesn't really do much anyway.

OP
OP

fsucutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red EX-L Hatchback
Country flag
Try deleting the Honda app from your phone if you downloaded it. That fixed most of my disconnection issues. The app doesn't really do much anyway.
Sounds like a good idea. Won't help me as it's not been installed since I got this new iPhone 8. I bought the phone, went out without any iCloud settings installed, basically a phone outta the box and the first time I connected it it worked. Couldn't believe it as I tested again and it failed - again, without anything installed...just a new phone and a failed connection. I tested it a total of 10 times. Each time with the car turned off in between - five with the phone connected before turning on the car and 5 after the car was already running.
Only had 1 successful connection, that stayed connected, outta the 10.
Now that I just automatically connect it twice - as I stated in the beginning of this post - connect, wait just under a second, and then disconnect and reconnect again - I'm almost the reverse. Seems 9 times outta 10 it works/stays connected.

So...

sigh.

Soulrise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
Ever since I got my 2016 EX-L I've been fighting this issue with my iPhone 6 Plus, 7 Plus, and now X. I've tried switching out multiple first party cables (bought from the Apple Store), taken to the dealer multiple times and even got them to finally change the head unit after 5 visits, and tried deleting the Honda app. None of those methods worked. I do have a large Apple Music library but haven't tested turning it off as there's no way in hell I'll ever do that.

So what worked for me: before I'm about to drive I power off the iPhone, wait 30 seconds, then power back on. Is this annoying? Yes. But it's the only method that reliably doesn't disconnect. I've driven from the SF Bay Area to LA (approximately 500 miles) with no disconnects. I also drive a lot for work for various meetings and the disconnects used to always happen at the worst time while I was using the GPS. Now, as long as I power the phone off before I drive I rarely get disconnects and if I do I only have to unplug/re-plug once. Don't know if it's Apple's fault or Honda but hope that helps others like me.

dby2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T sedan
Country flag
Wow- have no connectivity issues at all with Android Auto and my Civic's head unit. Maybe you guys need to jump on the Android train ;)

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Wow- have no connectivity issues at all with Android Auto and my Civic's head unit. Maybe you guys need to jump on the Android train ;)
Unless you're talking about how AA requires a cable to be perfectly plugged in, can't move a micron or it will disconnect? That is THE MOST FRUSTRATING part of AA. I know ACP doesn't have that problem.

dby2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T sedan
Country flag
Unless you're talking about how AA requires a cable to be perfectly plugged in, can't move a micron or it will disconnect? That is THE MOST FRUSTRATING part of AA. I know ACP doesn't have that problem.
I don't have that issue at all- but I am using a phone with USB-C, which is a non-directional connector like the lightning plug.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I don't have that issue at all- but I am using a phone with USB-C, which is a non-directional connector like the lightning plug.
Me too; I had Galaxy S8 that I upgraded to a Pixel 2 XL. Both are USB-C. The Pixel is better than the S8 as far as getting the disconnected error, but I still get it frequently enough to be annoying.

Soulrise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
Ever since the update to iOS 11.2.5 I've had almost no disconnect issues, maybe only one or two. Hopefully the problem's been officially patched out of existence.

sesty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Having issues dialing numbers when plugged in to ACP. When calling into a conference call it seems to double the input when using the screen or the phone dial pad.

Have to unplug the phone and then enter the call in info in then plug it back in.

XLR8TOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T coupe, '00 Trans Am 'vert, '98 Dakota R/T
Country flag
Having issues dialing numbers when plugged in to ACP. When calling into a conference call it seems to double the input when using the screen or the phone dial pad.

Have to unplug the phone and then enter the call in info in then plug it back in.
Yeah that hasn’t worked for me from the beginning either.
Sponsored