Official Sonic Grey Pearl Type R Picture Thread

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
Yes TE37 Lowered on Eibach Pro springs. Just did some cooling upgrades, procivic grill, koyorad radiator and acuity reverse hoses.

Type r charlie.jpg
Wow nice rain shot! I used to work for a Tech company based out in Plantation. You probably know what that company is based on their location. You guys out in FL have sweet rides!!

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm looking at getting some wheels but can't decide on where to purchase them from. System Motorsports is local to me but they're advertising wheels that they don't even have in stock. They require you to put your name on an order list for inventory that won't arrive until Dec-Jan. Evasive Motorsports has a 15% deal on their wheels. They have good reviews on Yelp but they're not an official sponsor on the CivicX site.

Has anyone dealt with either SM or Evasive before and if so, how was your experience with them?

speedvagen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sgp fk8 #r-26236
Country flag
I'm looking at getting some wheels but can't decide on where to purchase them from. System Motorsports is local to me but they're advertising wheels that they don't even have in stock. They require you to put your name on an order list for inventory that won't arrive until Dec-Jan. Evasive Motorsports has a 15% deal on their wheels. They have good reviews on Yelp but they're not an official sponsor on the CivicX site.

Has anyone dealt with either SM or Evasive before and if so, how was your experience with them?
i know you didnā€™t specifically ask about vivid racing, but i got my advans from them and have zero complaints...straightforward purchase. i think theyā€™ll all offer a competitive price if you ask and are willing to go elsewhere...
ā€˜vagen

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i know you didnā€™t specifically ask about vivid racing, but i got my advans from them and have zero complaints...straightforward purchase. i think theyā€™ll all offer a competitive price if you ask and are willing to go elsewhere...
ā€˜vagen
Is Vivid the shop out of Arizona? I went to their site in the past before and it seems like they charge more than other places on their items. I'll give them a visit and do price-comparisons. Thanks!

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is Vivid the shop out of Arizona? I went to their site in the past before and it seems like they charge more than other places on their items. I'll give them a visit and do price-comparisons. Thanks!
If you actually message them through the forum or email them they will give us forum members special pricing not available on their website. They have very good customer service based on my interactions with them.

MeetThePete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R, 2005 S2000, 1985 Corolla GTS
Country flag

Itā€™s very normal for licensed distributors to have a 4-7 month lead time when ordering JDM wheels like Volks. Most places will take a deposit and submit an order with your specific specs to the manufacturer. Most of the time the wheels will have to be made then shipped overseas from Japan. Any stock you see ready to ship or incoming in the next month has likely been preordered by the distributor or is leftover from a previous order.

Plenty of people have ordered wheels from both system and evasive for many platforms including the FK8 without any issues. Personally, I recently placed an order through system, and Thomson has been very prompt and professional answering all of my questions and concerns. I donā€™t think you should have anything to worry about ordering from these licensed distributors. Although if youā€™re local to system you might want to consider going with them to save some $$$ shipping especially since youā€™ll be hit with that California sales tax?. Definitely donā€™t miss that part of living in CA.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Itā€™s very normal for licensed distributors to have a 4-7 month lead time when ordering JDM wheels like Volks. Most places will take a deposit and submit an order with your specific specs to the manufacturer. Most of the time the wheels will have to be made then shipped overseas from Japan. Any stock you see ready to ship or incoming in the next month has likely been preordered by the distributor or is leftover from a previous order.

Plenty of people have ordered wheels from both system and evasive for many platforms including the FK8 without any issues. Personally, I recently placed an order through system, and Thomson has been very prompt and professional answering all of my questions and concerns. I donā€™t think you should have anything to worry about ordering from these licensed distributors. Although if youā€™re local to system you might want to consider going with them to save some $$$ shipping especially since youā€™ll be hit with that California sales tax?. Definitely donā€™t miss that part of living in CA.
Agree with this. But, if there is a 4-7 month lead time then letā€™s hit the committed window. I also understand that the us sellers donā€™t control the manufacturing and delivery to them but Iā€™m making decisions based on their commitment, and currently have to park the car when it snows due to my fully paid for wheels being late.

speedvagen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sgp fk8 #r-26236
Country flag
Agree with this. But, if there is a 4-7 month lead time then letā€™s hit the committed window. I also understand that the us sellers donā€™t control the manufacturing and delivery to them but Iā€™m making decisions based on their commitment, and currently have to park the car when it snows due to my fully paid for wheels being late.
if youā€™re looking for in stock and ready to ship today, you must email or call each of the shops directly. You simply cannot rely on their websites. This sounds like your primary requirement, so you need to get them all on the phone and ask whatā€™s in stock, and the best price they're willing to offer you TODAY. let them know youā€™re calling all their competitors asking the same question...then, be ready to back it up with a decision and payment today.

ā€˜vagen

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
if youā€™re looking for in stock and ready to ship today, you must email or call each of the shops directly. You simply cannot rely on their websites. This sounds like your primary requirement, so you need to get them all on the phone and ask whatā€™s in stock, and the best price they're willing to offer you TODAY. let them know youā€™re calling all their competitors asking the same question...then, be ready to back it up with a decision and payment today.

ā€˜vagen
Ya, no. I emailed and spoke directly with System re delivery. Was told mid Sept to end of Oct. delivery. I paid in full for wheels and lug nuts on Aug 11th. wheels are now due to arrive in Nov.

speedvagen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sgp fk8 #r-26236
Country flag
Ya, no. I emailed and spoke directly with System re delivery. Was told mid Sept to end of Oct. delivery. I paid in full for wheels and lug nuts on Aug 11th. wheels are now due to arrive in Nov.
wow, that sucks. Iā€™d say thatā€™s a solid ā€œnoā€ to system. My dealing with vivid went down a little smoother. I emphasized I wanted in stock and ready to ship from a conus -based warehouse and they gave the list of ones they had ā€œin stock.ā€ This in and of itself is a misnomer, because I think all these drop ship from one single US distributor. I picked, paid, then they shipped within a week or two as I recall. They arrived so early I hadnā€™t yet had time to save for tires lol. Sorry for your experience....

craig

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
wow, that sucks. Iā€™d say thatā€™s a solid ā€œnoā€ to system. My dealing with vivid went down a little smoother. I emphasized I wanted in stock and ready to ship from a conus -based warehouse and they gave the list of ones they had ā€œin stock.ā€ This in and of itself is a misnomer, because I think all these drop ship from one single US distributor. I picked, paid, then they shipped within a week or two as I recall. They arrived so early I hadnā€™t yet had time to save for tires lol. Sorry for your experience....

craig
Seems like System is doing a batch order and there is a link on their site for 57DR batch ordering. This probably means they need to fulfill a min quota in order for a work order to be put in. The email I got back from them indicated there was a "backorder" list meaning there's probably a bunch of people that also order DRs. Thomson suggested I put my name on the list but who knows how long I would be waiting for wheels. Whole purpose why I wanted to get wheels was so that I can drive the R more often without the fear of running over a pothole and getting a bent wheel. I wanted to get a DR but at this point I may just go with whatever is in stock and I'm looking at the Advan TC4s from Evasive. I sent System a price match to see what they can offer me. Evasive's 15% off wheels saves me 100 vs what System has but then again Evasive charges $100 for shipping. I think System is free.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

craig
Ya, a bit frustrating.

Good to hear re Vivid. May have to look there if my wheels donā€™t arrive in the next week or so.

Seems like System is doing a batch order and there is a link on their site for 57DR batch ordering. This probably means they need to fulfill a min quota in order for a work order to be put in. The email I got back from them indicated there was a "backorder" list meaning there's probably a bunch of people that also order DRs. Thomson suggested I put my name on the list but who knows how long I would be waiting for wheels. Whole purpose why I wanted to get wheels was so that I can drive the R more often without the fear of running over a pothole and getting a bent wheel. I wanted to get a DR but at this point I may just go with whatever is in stock and I'm looking at the Advan TC4s from Evasive. I sent System a price match to see what they can offer me. Evasive's 15% off wheels saves me 100 vs what System has but then again Evasive charges $100 for shipping. I think System is free.
System, at least to CO, was $95 for shipping.
Sponsored