Mrska

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
So I know that GDI motors are extremely loud and annoying when it comes to the tick from injectors but. I noticed i'm getting a new tick that's slightly slower but sounds almost identical to the injector tick that gets louder with RPM right behind the motor and above/directly where the intake is. Could it be possible I just have bad fuel and the injector(s) is not firing correctly?

I have no misfire, fuel trims are -9% LTFT which is pretty normal in this florida heat, I put a gallon of E85 in with 93 ever since i've been tuned almost two years ago. Car also pulls, runs and drives fine, does breakup at starting in first the STFT jumps to -25ish and it misses but i've just come to accept that it's the tunes fault. But again I don't think the misfire at start is behind the new noise.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know thank you. Also it's more noticeable when it's warm and yes the car has oil I run 5w-30 M1 High mileage Full synthetic
Sponsored

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Trims don't seem normal, a tune shouldn't cause any of that. Sounds like injectors. Just going off of what I've seen on this forum.

But I could be wrong 🤷.

OP
OP
Mrska

Mrska

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Trims don't seem normal, a tune shouldn't cause any of that. Sounds like injectors. Just going off of what I've seen on this forum.

But I could be wrong 🤷.
Tuned the car at roughly 55k miles bought used at 43k and it started as soon as I put the tune on with the catless dp/fp so i figured it was normal

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Tuned the car at roughly 55k miles bought used at 43k and it started as soon as I put the tune on with the catless dp/fp so i figured it was normal
Short term trims will jump around, my long term never goes past 7 but immediately returns to 0 when I start to move. Not sure what the normal range is. There should be someone smarter than me on the forum that can weigh in.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Sport-Injected... your LTFT immediately goes from 7 to 0 when you start to move?

LTFT "normal" range is + or -10. In extreme heat and humidity like FL cars will tend to see elevated negative trim numbers.

Mrska, post up a datalog (.kdlg in a .zip file). Also, about once a year I use Gumout Regane Complete and it seems to help. Wait til your low fuel light comes on and then get gas. Pour in most of the bottle and then fill up your car.

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Sport-Injected... your LTFT immediately goes from 7 to 0 when you start to move?

LTFT "normal" range is + or -10. In extreme heat and humidity like FL cars will tend to see elevated negative trim numbers.

Mrska, post up a datalog (.kdlg in a .zip file). Also, about once a year I use Gumout Regane Complete and it seems to help. Wait til your low fuel light comes on and then get gas. Pour in most of the bottle and then fill up your car.
Yes, when I sit I traffic it will go -7 at most then a few minutes after I start moving it drops. 7 is the most it goes for me usually within +/-3

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well sure, cars will tend to run rich at idle but usually long term trims slowly adjust. It's not an immediate thing like STFT. That was the point I was trying to make.

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Well sure, cars will tend to run rich at idle but usually long terms trims very slowly adjust, it's not an immediate thing like STFT was my point
[/QUOTE

I guess I meant it doesn't stay at -7 will return to zero. Last time it went to that number was while traveling from NJ to PA, by the time I reached my destination it was back to zero. Typically is doesn't move much from zero. Only while sitting in traffic do I notice it will go to an extreme which only happens while traveling. But I don't constantly watch trims.

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Well sure, cars will tend to run rich at idle but usually long term trims slowly adjust. It's not an immediate thing like STFT. That was the point I was trying to make.
Now the last oil analysis I had done I had 3% fuel in my oil, this sample was pulled at 3k miles. My commute to work is only 6 mins each way and is stop and go so I associated the fuel % to that. I've been driving my Saab lately to work and only using the Si for longer trips or at least for drive long enough to get some heat in the oil. I'm hoping the fuel will be less on my next analysis. What is your take on this? My data looks normal as far as A/F, and thats the only reason I started to kinda watch my LTFT which only deviated while sitting in traffic or at idle for an extended period of time. I've thought about sending a data log to IMW to see if there is anything abnormal going on that would cause this much fuel in oil, besides the short daily commute.

Sorry to jack the thread, it just seems like a good opportunity to ask since you mentioned running rich at idle.

OP
OP
Mrska

Mrska

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I'll have to figure out how to datalog, I don't have a laptop i can keep in my car while driving it needs to be hooked up to a charger to work. Is there a way to record without a laptop then upload it once i'm home like extract it from the v2?

OP
OP
Mrska

Mrska

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Now the last oil analysis I had done I had 3% fuel in my oil, this sample was pulled at 3k miles. My commute to work is only 6 mins each way and is stop and go so I associated the fuel % to that. I've been driving my Saab lately to work and only using the Si for longer trips or at least for drive long enough to get some heat in the oil. I'm hoping the fuel will be less on my next analysis. What is your take on this? My data looks normal as far as A/F, and thats the only reason I started to kinda watch my LTFT which only deviated while sitting in traffic or at idle for an extended period of time. I've thought about sending a data log to IMW to see if there is anything abnormal going on that would cause this much fuel in oil, besides the short daily commute.

Sorry to jack the thread, it just seems like a good opportunity to ask since you mentioned running rich at idle.
I noticed on long road trips 1hr+ of consecutive driving depending on weather i'll see between -2% all the way to -7%. When I drove to TN in November it stayed at 0% For all 6-7 hours. I like to attribute LTFT to driving style, I noticed when I beat and I mean beat on my car for a couple days/week it'll be much higher than normal -10% to -18% but when I drive normal for a week it'll sit at about -7% to -10%

OP
OP
Mrska

Mrska

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also will a dyno datallog work? I can ask my local shop who did my headgasket and trans if I can log on their dyno

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'll have to figure out how to datalog, I don't have a laptop i can keep in my car while driving it needs to be hooked up to a charger to work. Is there a way to record without a laptop then upload it once i'm home like extract it from the v2?
Wait a sec, you have a V2??? Watch this vid starting at 6:05. :cool:

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

A 6 minute stop and go commute is what, 3-4 miles? So that high-ish dilution would make sense --- the engine barely has time to get to normal operating temps. I'd think now that you are taking longer trips things should stabilize.

Last edited:

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
A 6 minute stop and go commujte is what, 3-4 miles? So that high-ish dilution would make sense --- the engine barely has time to get to normal operating temps. I'd think now that you are taking longer trips things should stabilize.
That's what I am hoping. Thank you for the reassurance. And yes it is 4 and some change miles each way.
Sponsored