Needing advice...

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to respond.

I have a dilemma, should I move close to family and drive 165 miles to work everyday? Im transferring from Dallas to Houston, my family lives near Austin.

Pros:
•I work 2-4 hours a day
•I make enough for the drive to be worth it* about $400 in fuel cost every month/ and im expecting to get a raise
• I can put my daughter in a school I’m familiar with that I went to
• my employer doesn’t care where I live, as long as I’m at work when I need to be.
•off weekends
•free land from my father to live on!

Cons:
•it’s a 2 and 1/2 hour drive
•mileage on my car (but I don’t care it’s a commuter)
• being away from family for 9 hours or more a day (which is about the same as shift work but just driving)

Thanks!
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
165 miles each direction?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With the information you've provided I would lean towards not moving, I think that is just too far to commute unless there is a reason that you have to be closer to your family. Maybe it would make sense to move, work that job for some time, and look for something closer?

OP
OP
Quicksipper

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With the information you've provided I would lean towards not moving, I think that is just too far to commute unless there is a reason that you have to be closer to your family. Maybe it would make sense to move, work that job for some time, and look for something closer?
That’s kinda what I’m leaning towards too, thing is, the job transfer isn’t optional, so either way I’d be moving. Whether it be close to work or close to family. I think I’ll try it for a while and if it doesn’t work I will A. bite the bullet and quit or B. move closer to work. The money is good though so it will probably be the ladder.

I guess my train of thought and what I told my wife was “truck drivers do it all the time” but I haven’t a clue of how many hours they put in, how long they are away and how much they get payed to see if it compares.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The question you have to ask yourself as well, do I want to risk getting in a car accident on the way to/from work as you will spend more time driving than actually working. Think about all that wasted time you could be with your immediate family instead of driving.

OP
OP
Quicksipper

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The question you have to ask yourself as well, do I want to risk getting in a car accident on the way to/from work as you will spend more time driving than actually working. Think about all that wasted time you could be with your immediate family instead of driving.
Yeah, good point on the accident thing. as far as being with family, that's where I'm having a hard time deciding.. it's not far off from an average persons shift work schedule (8hrs not including commute vs 9 hrs including commute for me). But I'm sure it still takes some adjusting as I'm not used to shift work. We plan to start off in a fifth wheel at my dad's land so I think I may try the commute, and if I don't like it we can always pick up and move closer. Or I can find another job which would be a bummer for me. Thanks all for helping me come to a decision, @360glitch this is the second time you've helped me out personally and @Shankmeyster you've had some good content on this forum as well.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
For about a year I did a 140+ commute from Cheshire to Cambridge 1 day a week - it was fun but wearing on my family, the car (MR2), and me - plus it took time away from doing more productive work.
If you've got to move and like your current work/career field them move to near Houston and do a "short 45-60 minute run" to work when you have to. The wife & kids are more important than being nearer dad and other family - you can bring the whole crew to visit on weekends/holidays.

OP
OP
Quicksipper

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For about a year I did a 140+ commute from Cheshire to Cambridge 1 day a week - it was fun but wearing on my family, the car (MR2), and me - plus it took time away from doing more productive work.
If you've got to move and like your current work/career field them move to near Houston and do a "short 45-60 minute run" to work when you have to. The wife & kids are more important than being nearer dad and other family - you can bring the whole crew to visit on weekends/holidays.
Solid advice, thanks! We’ve discussed doing this before, my wife would definitely worry less.
Sponsored