Switching jobs after 1 full year? Advice?

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know in the old days, it was known that you should stay at a company for a few years or else it would look bad on your resume if you bounce around too much - but is that really still the case?

I feel like nowadays people stay 1-2 years at a company then move on, especially the younger crowd like me.

I'm currently 24 and I'm on my second full time job (just hit a full year), got laid off from my first job after college due to covid. I'm conflicted whether I should stay at my current company or attempt to land a better paying position at this large cosmetics/beauty company. I have 3 close friends working in that company and all 3 are willing to give me recommendations, and generally when you have that many recommendations you are likely given the job.

My current job (Asset Management)
Pros:
I have incredible job security as this company is essentially a monopoly in the area (water company). I have fantastic benefits, get a good amount of PTO/Sick time per year, and I have decent pay. Office culture is extremely laidback and forgiving, no micromanagement at all and they let me take the reigns. I can dress extremely casual in the office and I have so much time to do stocks during work hours and also browse the internet while also easily hitting deadlines. Don't have much stress here and my day to day is very manageable. I have opportunities to move around within this company and progress which is good, company has a very low turnover rate because of this.

Cons: Sometimes I feel like it's not challenging enough, I want to learn more but I'm not particular excited about this industry. I don't have many people close to my age within the office, only a few people in their late 20's. People aren't as talkative and welcoming in the company which sometimes leads to days of me just straight working without much contact with other people in the office. My commute is also horrible since it's NJ>NYC, I definitely put a lot of wear on my car in constant stop and go traffic and it's always hectic on the way back home. My manager is extremely nice but also terrible with communication, lots of delayed and cancelled meetings after me waiting 20 minutes for it to start. I'm also not particularly excited about the asset management industry, the good thing is that the career can be very linear and good without much competition at companies, but not sure if I want to do this.

Potential new job (Supply Chain/Procurement)
Pros:
Allows me to get back into SCM/procurement which is what I graduated with, I firmly believe that this industry will continue to grow more and more and there's many potential things to learn from it. I would also get a considerable pay bump, about 10-15K over my current salary which will help a lot and will leave me being a lot more comfortable. I would also not have to commute to NYC anymore, I'd have around the same travel time as my old job but with much less stress and wear/tear on the car. The company also hires many young people out of college and has a lot of diversity, many chances to move up within positions as well along with pay bump increases.

Cons: Much less job security, likely faster paced environment and more stress. Some departments are "bad" while others are "good", just have to get lucky with it according to my buddy.

So essentially, I can stay comfortable/stagnant and kind of mundane but have a secure job that I won't have to worry about, there are chances to move around in the company but I'm not at that position yet. Coming to work here sometimes can be a dread and some days are long, I kind of crave a faster paced environment where I'm forced to learn and adapt.

But is 1 year too soon? I'm 24 but I have a very lengthy resume, 4 internships all throughout college at large corporations but so far only 2 years of full time work experience at 2 different companies. Would it necessarily look bad? If I did take this new job I'd likely have to stay for a few years right?

Sorry for the long read, for those who read and are willing to chime in with advice I appreciate you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Always strive for more. If you feel like you can go to a better company that’ll pay more $$$ go for it. Don’t end up settling for less you’ll regret it down the road. I’m 22 and I’ve gone through 4 decent paying jobs I’m actually ganna quit my current job soon since I got hired at another one haha

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Always strive for more. If you feel like you can go to a better company that’ll pay more $$$ go for it. Don’t end up settling for less you’ll regret it down the road. I’m 22 and I’ve gone through 4 decent paying jobs I’m actually ganna quit my current job soon since I got hired at another one haha
This is exactly what my older working friends said, thanks brother for the affirmation

Updating my resume and going to send it in, life is too short to settle - always strive for more

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
To be honest this is coming from a 53 year old that went from job to job I would stay with the water company yes it may be boring but look at the future and retirement if you want excitement do a activity outside of work. When I graduated in 1986 I was working for a company that made railroad safety equipment it had great benefits and pension at first the pay was low but every year you got a decent raise and 1990 the company was bought out by a investment group which merged with another company and move the company to South Carolina ever since then it was job after job mostly warehouse and delivery until 2011 I got a great position as a warehouse lead for a vitamin company same thing great benefits pay and pension
until I may the mistake of moving to Florida. I should have moved to Pennsylvania where the vitamin company had a shipping coordinator position. But I listen to a family member that told me there’s great jobs in Florida. Florida sucks ! I’m planning to move back north enough about me but think of this discussion and look at the future for your self because you can be like me at a dead end job
and look forward to social security at 65 since 1986 to 2021 I’ve had 25 plus jobs ( probably more places that I would work for a couple of days or weeks and leave)
which ever discussion you go with the best of luck to you :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
Employers will be more used to the idea of people your age moving from job to job, but they won't be happy about it. I'd expect any decent company to be thrilled if a skilled younger employee showed signs of wanting to stay long term- could be a track to management. Of course, you don't want to be tied to a career you hate or one that pays substantially less than another possibility.

I think you should look at the long term possibilities for your current job vs the one you're looking at, and figure out if you'd be ok sticking with either one. Not just would you be happy at work, because for most people I've ever met it doesn't work like that long term, but the combination of workplace stress, income, and time to enjoy yourself outside of work.

And to second saz468's point, look at the retirement benefits. If you find a place with a well funded pension or other good program, that's becoming rapidly more important to me at age 38 than it was when I was hired at 26. If I had stayed in the Army, I'd be retired soon and with enough time to retire from a second job with a second pension before the end. But none of that mattered to me at the time, and I didn't have anyone to tell me otherwise.

As it is, I'll be able to punch out at 53, start pulling something like 60% of my ending pay immediately, and with no mortgage for the last seven years or so.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
This is the kind of question nobody can give a good answer to because in the end you need to decide...

There will always be reasons to stay at a job if you can stay there and have security/long term.

There will always be OPPORTUNITIES elsewhere, this side boils down to how interested/confident and willing to put the work in regardless of the security or turnover, and how much better it is/may be then where you are currently.

That's all I can say with my POV as someone who didn't finish college but have been able to get to where I am now while surprising myself and everyone around me, in my case you wouldn't believe where I am now.

My opinion though: I also used to live in NJ and have to commute all over the state as well as into NY, let me out lol

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
if there is an opportunity to step up in life, always take it imo.
great words to always live by
To be honest this is coming from a 53 year old that went from job to job I would stay with the water company yes it may be boring but look at the future and retirement if you want excitement do a activity outside of work. When I graduated in 1986 I was working for a company that made railroad safety equipment it had great benefits and pension at first the pay was low but every year you got a decent raise and 1990 the company was bought out by a investment group which merged with another company and move the company to South Carolina ever since then it was job after job mostly warehouse and delivery until 2011 I got a great position as a warehouse lead for a vitamin company same thing great benefits pay and pension
until I may the mistake of moving to Florida. I should have moved to Pennsylvania where the vitamin company had a shipping coordinator position. But I listen to a family member that told me there’s great jobs in Florida. Florida sucks ! I’m planning to move back north enough about me but think of this discussion and look at the future for your self because you can be like me at a dead end job
and look forward to social security at 65 since 1986 to 2021 I’ve had 25 plus jobs ( probably more places that I would work for a couple of days or weeks and leave)
which ever discussion you go with the best of luck to you :thumbsup:
thank you saz i appreciate you buddy :beer: Staying with this water company might be good long term but honestly I'm not planning on working and retiring till 55-60, goal right now is to just build my net worth and skills as much as I can while I'm young then eventually go into building my own business later. Come back up north though!! As much as I enjoy warmer weather and hate northern winters I still love it here lol
Employers will be more used to the idea of people your age moving from job to job, but they won't be happy about it. I'd expect any decent company to be thrilled if a skilled younger employee showed signs of wanting to stay long term- could be a track to management. Of course, you don't want to be tied to a career you hate or one that pays substantially less than another possibility.

I think you should look at the long term possibilities for your current job vs the one you're looking at, and figure out if you'd be ok sticking with either one. Not just would you be happy at work, because for most people I've ever met it doesn't work like that long term, but the combination of workplace stress, income, and time to enjoy yourself outside of work.

And to second saz468's point, look at the retirement benefits. If you find a place with a well funded pension or other good program, that's becoming rapidly more important to me at age 38 than it was when I was hired at 26. If I had stayed in the Army, I'd be retired soon and with enough time to retire from a second job with a second pension before the end. But none of that mattered to me at the time, and I didn't have anyone to tell me otherwise.

As it is, I'll be able to punch out at 53, start pulling something like 60% of my ending pay immediately, and with no mortgage for the last seven years or so.
My current company has great retirement benefits along with low turnover, a lot of people end up staying here for a while but to be honest I don't think the work culture and people are a good fit for me. Out of all the places I've ever worked or interned at, this job is without a doubt the most mundane and slow during work hours. Personally this is a big thing for me as I want to enjoy coming into work and talking with friendly coworkers but it doesn't happen too much here. I really want a progressive and more modern company
This is the kind of question nobody can give a good answer to because in the end you need to decide...

There will always be reasons to stay at a job if you can stay there and have security/long term.

There will always be OPPORTUNITIES elsewhere, this side boils down to how interested/confident and willing to put the work in regardless of the security or turnover, and how much better it is/may be then where you are currently.

That's all I can say with my POV as someone who didn't finish college but have been able to get to where I am now while surprising myself and everyone around me, in my case you wouldn't believe where I am now.

My opinion though: I also used to live in NJ and have to commute all over the state as well as into NY, let me out lol
Yeah, I've been asking around for thoughts just to help solidify my decision

I'm pretty set on trying for this new job, currently updating my resume and just going to go for it. I'm confident I'll put in the work and I'm really craving a faster paced environment to help me grow, I grow and work the best under pressure tbh - way too slow at my current place

but yeah at least you can relate to me with this commute - god it's so terrible lmao especially with covid restrictions lifted, everything is back to normal here traffic wise

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update: I applied with an internal recommendation :) Did my first pre screening phone interview today

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
UPDATE I GOT THE DAMN JOB

YES

WE REALLY OUT HEREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored