Muffler or resonator removal??

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey
I'm wondering what it would sound like with either just the muffler deleted and keep the res,,, or keep the muffler and remove those resonators?
I want some sound but not loud at all!
I took off one of the mufflers, left side, and it sounds pretty good.
Sponsored

redblackcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
I got the single pipe too. Did you remove the res yourself? If so, how hard was it to do? Thanks
well its wasnt that hard, you just have to cut the pipes around the resonator and replace it with a pipe with the same size as your original one.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Honda CRX Si
I wonder how much sound the resonators stop? As much as a muffler?,,
Sometimes. A resonator is designed to cancel out a particular sound. And that's determined by the manufacturers.
kshawn has an good point. Much like an instrument you play is tuned to produce a certain sound, resonators are designed in materials, size, length, and especially location in the exhaust to change or cancel the resonating frequencies produced by the exhaust.

Most believe that removing resonators will amplify the effect past the end of the tail pipe. In most cases (not all I'm sure), the result is a louder sound inside the cabin-just the cabin. Mostly due to the fact resonators are put in place to keep it quite inside. On the out side you may hear a slight depth in tone from your muffler's out put. But a muffler other than a straight thru design one, I.E. Magnaflow will still do it's job to the best of it's ability to-well, muffle.

Excluding any mods to anything from the cat forward, the muffler system is an excellent place to start as you will be able to hear a pure note from your vehicle. Sound tuning (In my experience and opinion) should go from there. That can include deleting a resonator while leaving another, removing all resonators and replacing with a single one of certain length and size. When replacing your own resonator you may want to consider that locating it closer to the engine will quite down the deepest tone of your exhaust. The further away the location, the longer the sounds waves have to travel down the exhaust and basically build them selves up. So that resonator will quite down the same deep tone with less efficiency.

There is much more science and technical terms behind what I am suggesting.
Here is an excellent video I found for my self that clears some of them up:

johnnytavani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger Daytona 392
Vehicle Showcase
well its wasnt that hard, you just have to cut the pipes around the resonator and replace it with a pipe with the same size as your original one.
I have the 1.5T. Say I wanted to delete the resonator with a straight pipe and get 2 of those mufflers you have. How much do you think that would cost ? I'm really digging yours.

johnnytavani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger Daytona 392
Vehicle Showcase
Lx have only one muffler. And also i forgot to turn off my Eco mode, without it, the sound would be a little bit intense and aggressive
Can you take some far shot pics of your muffler and some under the car ? I want to get an idea ?

redblackcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
I have the 1.5T. Say I wanted to delete the resonator with a straight pipe and get 2 of those mufflers you have. How much do you think that would cost ? I'm really digging yours.
well depends on how much the muffler costs. and if youre going to a auto shop, ask them how much the pipe (inch) cost.

iTzLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I was planning to get a resonator delete along with a magnaflow exhaust.

I was curious if I was going to do all of that, will it void my warranty?

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was planning to get a resonator delete along with a magnaflow exhaust.

I was curious if I was going to do all of that, will it void my warranty?
@iTzLanders It will only void your warranty if your exhaust work is the reason something breaks (which is very very unlikely) the dealership would have to prove that that your exhaust was the reason something broke.

iTzLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
@iTzLanders It will only void your warranty if your exhaust work is the reason something breaks (which is very very unlikely) the dealership would have to prove that that your exhaust was the reason something broke.
Is that what it's like in Canada as well or internationally?

TrollingHard82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R #572, Mazda Cx 9, Yamaha Raider
I have the new civic hatch sport manual. I want my exhaust loud, or louder anyway with that beautiful dual exhaust coming out the back. I was considering a muffler delete, resonator delete or both. Like iTzLanders I also am worried about my warranty. If you only have to worry if it's the reason something breaks, that leads me to my next thought......what consideration do you have to give to the turbo? I thought it was an exhaust turbo so will taking away the backpressure from the resonator or muffler have any effect on the turbo?

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@iTzLanders @TrollingHard82 From what I know, the e dealership would have to prove that the modification was directly related to the failed part. I have modified my exhaust from the cat back. I have no worries about my warranty and I would laugh if someone blamed my exhaust for a component failure. I am in California and I have not modified my emissions.
Sponsored