9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello everyone! I would just like to say, I'll be driving in the mountains later this week for US 129 (Deals Gap). I sadly can't go when Civicx will be going, so I've decided to go during spring break. I understand that the engine struggles to get air due to the pressure and altitude. Is there anything I can do to help the engine out? I plan on using 93 Octane, but that's all I can think of. Do octane boosters help at high altitudes? What are some other options I can use in order to give a slight boost in the fuel? Maybe octane boosters? Thanks!
Sponsored

RetroJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T 6MT ViTuned
Country flag
You shouldn't need to worry IMO. Elevation reduces detonation so lower octane is actually (edit) ok to use. The ecu and turbo should compensate just fine for the thinner air at elevation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
9xArtanisx9

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You shouldn't need to worry IMO. Elevation reduces detonation so lower octane is actually (edit) ok to use. The ecu and turbo should compensate just fine for the thinner air at elevation.
I see, would using 93 octane help over 87?

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
Just use 91.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Deals Gap and surrounding area isn’t high enough to cause you issues. You’re at less than 2000 ft of elevation. Now if your going to the Rockies, that’s a different story.

BrashSi

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Sedan in Aegean Blue, 2012 Ridgeline EX-L, 2018 Civic Si Sedan in Aegean Blue(sold), 2004 S2000 NFR (sold),
Country flag
I did Deal's Gap/Tail of the Dragon in my 2018 Si with TSP Stage 1 tuned and didn't have an issue. 93 octane is very much available, but not required.

Elevation really doesn't come into play until you get into Colorado mountains and you're above like 8000' and really only affects a NA car vs a Turbo car unless the Turbo is maxed out. Seeing as how the 1.5T is capable of 26+PSI, and the stock calibration is usually 18PSI, even at like 14000', the turbo should be able to put out full boost.
Sponsored