kcvpr

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I know what kcon is, but what actually changes in engine operation when it goes up? Is the engine at more risk to damage when it’s high, or can we still drive hard without feeling like you’re damaging the engine somehow?

At the least it sounds like it makes the timing change to be more retarded, but is there any other changes to the tune?
Sponsored

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
Ignition Table Value + Knock Ignition Limitation Value - Knock Retard Value = Final Calculated Ignition Timing

Knock Retard is a product of the Knock Control Value multiplied by the Knock Retard Table Value

http://ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/ignition_timing_and_knock_control.htm?

So what do you consider high? Non-si civics will increase knock control artificially when revved past 5200 RPM. Typical normal knock control is 0.49 to 0.70 past there you will need to pay attention to what is causing the k.control to rise. Maybe coolant temps, maybe too hot intake air, bad gas, pushed hard for too long... It won't necessarily break if you keep stepping on it, k.control is there to save the engine, but it is advisable to know why it is going higher.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Kytos explains it really well. We always talk about high knock control caused by bad gas but like he mentioned there are other factors from hot intake temps to something like a high load hard pull going up a steep hill.

Driving hard with something like .7 knock control isn't going to damage your engine, it just limits the power and the fun.

OP
OP

kcvpr

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Ignition Table Value + Knock Ignition Limitation Value - Knock Retard Value = Final Calculated Ignition Timing

Knock Retard is a product of the Knock Control Value multiplied by the Knock Retard Table Value

http://ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/ignition_timing_and_knock_control.htm?

So what do you consider high? Non-si civics will increase knock control artificially when revved past 5200 RPM. Typical normal knock control is 0.49 to 0.70 past there you will need to pay attention to what is causing the k.control to rise. Maybe coolant temps, maybe too hot intake air, bad gas, pushed hard for too long... It won't necessarily break if you keep stepping on it, k.control is there to save the engine, but it is advisable to know why it is going higher.
Kytos explains it really well. We always talk about high knock control caused by bad gas but like he mentioned there are other factors from hot intake temps to something like a high load hard pull going up a steep hill.

Driving hard with something like .7 knock control isn't going to damage your engine, it just limits the power and the fun.
I guess I feel like high kcon for my car is probably .75+ Or .85+ it will get that high and more after one good wot 3rd-5th pull on the freeway. But I know that probably has something to do with the California gas I’m stuck with.

also the car is a 2020 sport hatch with every single PRL bolt on short of big turbo, full 70mm exhaust with high flow cat. Running the the 1.5r non crackle tune with artificial kcon turned off (pretty sure it’s off anyway lol). Temps lately have been in the 40-50’s

thanks for the replies guys

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Can't you add a gallon of E85?

Also can you add a new post in my tuning reliability thread? Your last post was in 2021 and I think you had a totally different setup. Thanks.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
The 1.5r is more agressive and will trigger k.control much easier, you need top gas to run it perfect. Try adding a galon of e85 like gtman said.
Sponsored