Loud popping noise upon startup (Touring)

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Well, dick w, I'm not sure they invested an entire penny, but we'll probably never know.

I do find that different music from different sources sounds either better or worse with neural on or off... so I hit it on occasion and decide if it's better or not for that particular source.
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Well, dick w, I'm not sure they invested an entire penny, but we'll probably never know.
There is almost certainly a per unit royalty to license their technology and their trademark.
Honda Civic 10th gen Loud popping noise upon startup (Touring) upload_2016-2-26_13-3-41

OP
OP

wendingTuo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I love the neural surround, when it works! It definitely makes the system punchier and clearer. I really hope Honda hears our cries and fixes it ASAP.

And I really hope it's not a hardware issue! It would obviously be covered under the warranty, but there's always a risk of more stuff going wrong when hardware has to be replaced.

marinerbc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Add me to the list. Mine was even more eventful. I get my car dropped off and they say it's ready and when I go outside and get in, the car starts (that's a good thing, but another story) but the screen is dead. No audio, no heat, nothing. He takes it around back for about 10 minutes and then returns and says it's ready now. I asked what they did, he said they reset it. I asked how they do that, he said, "we disconnected the battery." I said, I hope I don't have to do that every time I drive. He said, "you shouldn't" and I said, YOU'RE RIGHT, I SHOULD'T!!! Lame honda...lame!!! My 2006 was bad in the beginning, but this touring seems to have come out without anyone checking the stuff.

I sent Honda a letter today with a slew of my problems telling them that I'm about to trade it in (and take a loss) and hope that whomever I give it to will enjoy getting the attention of having the 2016 "Car of the Year" traded in that they will go easy on me. What a marketing coup that could turn out to be!
Hi there very interesting read , just got my 2016 touring today , did not hear that issue so far , was wondering if a simple battery reset can solve that , please try to disconnect both battery cables , cover the battery posts with a cardboard just in case , then hold the battery cable together and touching each other ' away from the battery posts naturally '
for at least 30 secs. Then install the batter cables on at a time starting with the positive cable first , then the negative . One small detail is to loosen the locking nut at the end of each cable so that it will go nice and easy on the battery post then hold firmly while you are fighting the locking nut , the idea is to avoid the semi or partial initial contact between the cables and the battery posts.
Hope that would do it

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
WTH? Just disconnect the negative and leave it off for a few minutes. None of that other stuff is necessary.

Namtil101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Experienced the LOUD popping for the first time today. It was crazy. Turned car off and on maybe 6 times and it happened each time. A friend was with me to verify and we fixed it once by changing stations or something, but upon turning car off and on again it persisted. So I called my dealership and explained and then my friend and I were on our way with the audio off. Upon arriving at the new destination and checking the audio it still popped and no music came through, so I turned it off. About 30 minutes later we turned the car on and the audio worked as good as new. After reading this thread, It would appear the neural surround sound is the reason, though I have had it on since I purchased the car 6 weeks ago, and never experienced this issue. I also have already had the TSB done maybe 2-3 weeks ago...I will leave the neural setting on and see if it persists...

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After reading this thread, It would appear the neural surround sound is the reason, though I have had it on since I purchased the car 6 weeks ago, and never experienced this issue. I also have already had the TSB done maybe 2-3 weeks ago...I will leave the neural setting on and see if it persists...
Yeah, I also have it on most of the time, but occasionally this popping happens. Its odd that something like this might be so random, but its probably what we call in software a 'race condition'. Basically it is when something happens at the wrong time or in the wrong order, and the data isn't properly filled in yet. In this case, it is where as the car turns on a million things have to happen, and if they happen out of order then things get weird. Its possible that this neural setting turns on before any audio comes on, something weird happens with the actual audio data that neural manipulates, and it freaks out trying to compensate for the lack of valid audio data.

Namtil101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Yeah, I also have it on most of the time, but occasionally this popping happens. Its odd that something like this might be so random, but its probably what we call in software a 'race condition'. Basically it is when something happens at the wrong time or in the wrong order, and the data isn't properly filled in yet. In this case, it is where as the car turns on a million things have to happen, and if they happen out of order then things get weird. Its possible that this neural setting turns on before any audio comes on, something weird happens with the actual audio data that neural manipulates, and it freaks out trying to compensate for the lack of valid audio data.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. A software issue for sure. Though I have turned off the neural surround just because I don't want any damage to the 450 watt sound system...To be honest, the sound is pretty much the same with it off.

TCcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
I purchased my touring on January 25th. I had the software update completed on February 1 because I experienced no sound. A couple of weeks later I experienced the loud popping noise that everyone else has experienced. Today again I experienced the same news. One thing that I recall is that on both occasions it rained heavy the night before.

I am going to try the neutral switch as I have not tried to play with that setting before. I have to admit I was unaware of it and I don't really know what it does.

I did previously report the two other issues to Honda. I will again call them on this one as well.

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I purchased my touring on January 25th. I had the software update completed on February 1 because I experienced no sound. A couple of weeks later I experienced the loud popping noise that everyone else has experienced. Today again I experienced the same news. One thing that I recall is that on both occasions it rained heavy the night before.
Sounds like there could be some problem with static in the air.... There is still a possibility that it is entirely software related because just using a different audio setting changes how this breaks, but that is an interesting point that I'm not certain is or isn't true for me.

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is "on" if the light is white, and "off" if the light is blue. kinda backwards, like a lot of cars. you can also go into the audio settings and there will be an actual 'on' and 'off' buttons.

Capo2080

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I am also having this issue with my Civic Touring. I took the car to the dealership and they performed a software upgrade which was supposed to take care of the issue. 2 days later and the issue is happening again, very frustrating.

TCcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
I am also having this issue with my Civic Touring. I took the car to the dealership and they performed a software upgrade which was supposed to take care of the issue. 2 days later and the issue is happening again, very frustrating.
My car has still done it twice since the update. The Honda dealer/garage says that they need the car to do it when they have it... I am going to try and video it next time it occurs. I suggest that you try and record it if you can

andy_kiawah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Same thing here. Had the update done, but the issue happened again over the weekend. Will be asking Honda to inspect all speakers for any that may be blown once another "fix" is released. I did notice that turning off the neural sound fixed it, and the following day I could turn neural back on and the popping was gone. On a side note, everyone who owns a Touring should request that foam padding be installed in the brake light housing. My dealership did this to stop the rattle from the subwoofer and it did wonders.
Sponsored