Hearing loss-- caused by Loud car audio

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
In the old days I used tube amplifiers. Macintosh and B&W & Klipsch speakers. Today, too much hassle. I use Studio in ear Shure ear buds SE846 or Grado PSE2000e. Plug in to Audio Engine DAC. No more baffles in the room. It is all a compromise anyway. Audio in the car has never been as good as in the house.
Sponsored

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
People get tinnitus from the things they least suspect. Rock concerts and loud exhausts and loud audio systems I find are just a minority in the list of causes.

Personally know someone who got into motorcycling but wore an open face helmet too loose on his first highway ride and came out with tinnitus because of the wind blasting around the inside of his helmet.

Some guy got tinnitus from the drill the dentist used on his teeth.

It's usually abusive, monotonous, repetitive exposure to noise that causes tinnitus.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
like RAP "music" !! ;)
Man, I’m almost 40.
This whole thread makes you sound so impossibly old as to make me unsure there isn’t just a ghost typing at the keyboard.

I don’t even love this album and I think are far more thoughtful and worthy candidates that just have a much lower profile at the moment but honestly it’s like you’re talking about rap as it were these new horseless carriages that might catch on.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/16/arts/music/kendrick-lamar-pulitzer-prize-damn.html

People crank Mettalica or Arriana Grande or whoever just as much as they do rap/hip hop.

Though really I’d be hard pressed to see how the stock system could hurt much of anything, even maxed out. The distortion walks you back from the full max. And below that is okay to me but bothers others. I always figured I’d lost some hearing in HS bur my last hearing test was better than my age so who knows.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Man, I’m almost 40.
This whole thread makes you sound so impossibly old as to make me unsure there isn’t just a ghost typing at the keyboard.

I don’t even love this album and I think are far more thoughtful and worthy candidates that just have a much lower profile at the moment but honestly it’s like you’re talking about rap as it were these new horseless carriages that might catch on.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/16/arts/music/kendrick-lamar-pulitzer-prize-damn.html

People crank Mettalica or Arriana Grande or whoever just as much as they do rap/hip hop.

Though really I’d be hard pressed to see how the stock system could hurt much of anything, even maxed out. The distortion walks you back from the full max. And below that is okay to me but bothers others. I always figured I’d lost some hearing in HS bur my last hearing test was better than my age so who knows.
?????

So, you like RAP, I don't but that's not really the point - Each to their own.
Just because it has "Caught on" does not necessarily make it good. ;)

It's the added 1000W+ amplifiers and massive Bass speakers that are going to be doing the damage, and it seemed that many who were fitting these unit, (For whatever reason), should be made aware of the non-reversible damage they will be doing to their hearing.

It has nothing to do with being old or young, if far more about being informed or unaware of the consequences of loud car Audio systems.- whether that audio is Rap or Opera !!

You said it yourself :-

"Though really I’d be hard pressed to see how the stock system could hurt much of anything, even maxed out."

WRONG ... Ref: all the medical report about the issue.

Also, I am very careful NOT to be telling anyone what to do or what not to do ... car owners will do what they want, and that has nothing to do with me -- the only point I was trying to make was to make aware those fitting High Power Amps, that they seriously risk permanent hearing loss ... as some have already reported in this forum.

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Personally I do not consider Rap to be Music - but that's just me, and I suspect many others of my generation.
This is ridiculous at best and flat-out stupid at worst. I'm sorry. Rap has been around for a while now. There is good rap, and there is bad rap - like all genres.

I sense an underlying bias based on various politicized posts I've seen from some folks on here, including from some people in this thread.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
:topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic:

Please .. (If you want to Rap on about Rap, start a Rap Post !! )
Sponsored