Brennan

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan
Country flag
Hello all, I hope you're having a great day.

Recently I attempted to flash my 2018 honda civic touring back to factory settings and after it was complete the car struggled to turn off/back on and about halfway during the flash the center dashboard (where the speedometer would be) went black and stayed black. After the flash was complete I heard a sound towards the back of the vehicle (near the brakes) and when I pushed in the brake pedal it felt a lot stiffer (immobilizer?).

I tried to reflash it too no avail, and now I can't get the car to start or even boot into accessory mode. The locks don't work with the fob either, so I have to use the physical key to lock the car. I'm thinking it is a dead ECU/ECM, but I'm not an expert in this at all so any and all advice is appreciated.

On a side note, I called Honda and they told me that Honda discontinued the ecm for this car, so they couldn't help me if it needed to get replaced, so any chance for a DIY or too difficult?

Update 3/26/21: I got a new battery and the car went into accessory mode fine. I was able to flash back to stock, and now the car works flawlessly. Lesson learned to use a battery charger if you flash.
Sponsored

Last edited:

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Try to flash again but you need a better internet connection while you do it. Sounds weird but it works for me. You need a super strong internet connection.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You killed the battery I think. Put it on a trickle charger while you flash.

OP
OP

Brennan

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan
Country flag
You killed the battery I think. Put it on a trickle charger while you flash.
I think you may be right... I tried to get into accessory mode with another battery and it seemed to work fine. I'll update this after I get a new battery and can see if I can finish the flash then. Hopefully nothing got damaged by the loss of power.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored