Changed taillights - now car won't start?

FaintReality

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Ex / 2017 F350 6.7 / 2011 BMW 550i Dinan Stage 5
I purchased some new LED taillights and now my 17' EX sedan won't start. However, it will start with the remote start, just not the push button start.

I noticed the 10 amp stop light fuse under hood was blown. Replaced and blew again. Replaced with a 15 amp and car fired up, but once shut off would not turn back on and fuse was blow again.

I decided to put stock taillights back in along with new 10 amp fuse and all is well.

Is there some trick to make these work? They are listed as plug and play.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

RedFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CTR
Country flag
I purchased some new LED taillights and now my 17' EX sedan won't start. However, it will start with the remote start, just not the push button start.

I noticed the 10 amp stop light fuse under hood was blown. Replaced and blew again. Replaced with a 15 amp and car fired up, but once shut off would not turn back on and fuse was blow again.

I decided to put stock taillights back in along with new 10 amp fuse and all is well.

Is there some trick to make these work? They are listed as plug and play.

Thanks in advance.
Probably when your brake light fuse popped it wasn’t sending a brake signal to allow your push button start to work since it needs to see the car in either neutral or park with the brake pedal pressed in before it fires up. Kinda like a clutch switch interlock on manual trans cars. My guess is the leds are shorting out your brake light circuit tied in with the trans control module some how or it’s not allowing a interlock to work properly disabling the starter circuit.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Someone else said they did this and it popped a fuse that was related to a bunch of other stuff related to starting the car. I'd just avoid this for anyone seeing this thread in the future.

OP
OP
FaintReality

FaintReality

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someone else said they did this and it popped a fuse that was related to a bunch of other stuff related to starting the car. I'd just avoid this for anyone seeing this thread in the future.
Yea, it's blowing the stop the light which does not allow the car to start with the push button, only remote start.

Did they figure out a way around this? I ordered a multi pack of fuses so I plan to install one piece of the light at a time (4 pieces total) to see if I can narrow it down.

OP
OP
FaintReality

FaintReality

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got it figured out. The black wire on the lamp had to match up with the black wire on the car socket. Being that the harness plugs into the bulb socket, it can be placed either way and my lights did not come with any instructions and/or warnings.
Sponsored