Replaced my tail lights, now my car won't start...

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey all,

So... I replaced my tail lights today with VLAND led tail lights and I wasn't paying close enough attention to the polarity of the wires... I went to start the car afterwards and it wouldn't start. Everything comes up on screen, but it starts complaining about ACC, electric parking brake, brake system, brake hold system, power steering(EPS) system, VSA, hill start assist, collision mitigation system, road departure mitigation system, and it also says "drive carefully systems initializing"... All the electronics in the car seem to be fine(gauges, infotainment, lighting), the tail lights even light up after I fixed the polarity... But now when I attempt to start the car the electronics shut off. And my remote start even works(starts the car fine), but again when I go to use the car, it shuts it all down... I tried taking the tail lights out, and it still wouldn't start...

What did I break..? Taking the car into Honda tomorrow, just thought I'd see if there's anything I could do before that. Thanks...
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
RallyeRed

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would this be the infamous VSA modulator issue? Or something else?

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
The thing that makes sense to me is that you shorted out something which is why its giving you all those errors. For something electrical like this I cant really think of anything else.

OP
OP
RallyeRed

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just don't understand why everything else seems to be working perfectly... Even the tail lights that caused the short light up...

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Just a wild guess... Since you altered the brake lights... maybe you altered something in the systems that has to do with keeping your foot on the brake for starting, shifting, etc. If you got the polarity wrong the first time; I could see how a system computer would have a fit. I would think and hope that a fuse would have blown since you basically shorted power directly to ground with the mis-wire. I'd check all the fuses, dash and hood, and, maybe, do a battery disconnect (30 minutes or so).

OP
OP
RallyeRed

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just a wild guess... Since you altered the brake lights... maybe you altered something in the systems that has to do with keeping your foot on the brake for starting, shifting, etc. If you got the polarity wrong the first time; I could see how a system computer would have a fit. I would think and hope that a fuse would have blown since you basically shorted power directly to ground with the mis-wire. I'd check all the fuses, dash and hood, and, maybe, do a battery disconnect (30 minutes or so).
I did a battery disconnect for roughly 30 minutes and no change... I should check all the fuses though... I'll do that in the morning, thanks!

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
Grab a test light and check both sides on all your fuses real quick. Could of blown a fuse

OP
OP
RallyeRed

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, I can't believe it! Thanks for the suggestions all, turns out a bad fuse for the brake lights was causing the car not to start! How does that make any sense?? Lol

My check engine light is still on, but I'll have it checked out at the dealer.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Wow, I can't believe it! Thanks for the suggestions all, turns out a bad fuse for the brake lights was causing the car not to start! How does that make any sense?? Lol

My check engine light is still on, but I'll have it checked out at the dealer.

God dams Civic:banghead:

OP
OP
RallyeRed

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The check engine light went away... It's fine. Lol

All for a fuse!! I'm speechless.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow. Well at least it’s a definite solution. Hate those things that just go away and you don’t really understand why

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
Usually the check engine light (depending on what the code is for) goes away after a few ignition cycles once fixed
Sponsored