Vdeity86

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350z Anniversary Edition(sold), Accord, #1220 CTR
Country flag
Bottom line is despite being fwd, the CTR sells!

Like it or not, fact of the matter is you can currently go to any dealership and they will have the Golf R, FoRS, Sti etc.. all in stock right now and be ready to make a deal with you for less than msrp.. otherwise they won't sell. Whereas, people are lining up in droves to attain a CTR. They sell as-is, Honda has no incentive to change a thing in order to "compete".

Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to have an awd ctr. But I don't see what would motivate Honda to do it at this point. But for sure, "never say never"!
Personally I don't care for the awd drive myself , but lets get real here. The focus had stock issues as well when it first came out. If they stopped making sti's and golfs for a while I'm sure there would be stock issues too
Sponsored

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Personally I don't care for the awd drive myself , but lets get real here. The focus had stock issues as well when it first came out. If they stopped making sti's and golfs for a while I'm sure there would be stock issues too
The best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. And that tells me Honda has no intentions of flooding the market with the Type R like their counterparts do. I highly doubt we'll see the day when dealers are so hard pressed to shake these that they sell at invoice or below msrp. But, we'll see!

Boba Debt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Long Bed, 2017 WRX STi
Country flag
The lead engineer gives an interview and says they want to expand their share in the market with a faster base, a more comfortable touring model and he even said an AWD is on the board so they can compete with other AWD brands and yet threads like this still get posted.

You guys are probably right, Honda just wants to sell 1 or 2 of these per year per dealer, that should make them a TON of cash.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The lead engineer gives an interview and says they want to expand their share in the market with a faster base, a more comfortable touring model and he even said an AWD is on the board so they can compete with other AWD brands and yet threads like this still get posted.
I'd love to see it happen and we can all dream, but don't put words in the guys mouth. That doesn't do us any good.

ahsanmahmood89 stated the following in post #7 of this thread, and it's the truth!:

The article with the interview with the engineer doesn't have him saying anything about AWD. The writer himself just says it could be in the works due to competition having it. No one from Honda suggested AWD from that article.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm surprised Acura hasn't decided to bring back the Integra really if only to bring in more traffic to the dealership and sell a few more cars. They barely sell cars right now as most people visit their dealerships to buy the MDX or RDX. It wouldn't be a sales boon for them but it would create more brand awareness and get younger people into the dealerships.
Well with the new Accord dropping next week, the ball will be in Acura's court next.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. And that tells me Honda has no intentions of flooding the market with the Type R like their counterparts do. I highly doubt we'll see the day when dealers are so hard pressed to shake these that they sell at invoice or below msrp. But, we'll see!
Disagree. Honda is taking a much more proactive marketing tack. Granted, I think they will keep the supply limited, but I think they see the Scooby Gang's loyalty to the WRX and STi that translate into life-long customers and no doubt see an opportunity to Rebuild that sort of base for themselves.

Especially since Nissan has so completely lost their way, Toyota doesn't seem to have a clue, and the others cannot make a car that runs for more than 50k without a major repair. o_O

All that means opportunity for Honda to reemerge in the same way they did in the cult of VTEC days.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
All that means opportunity for Honda to reemerge in the same way they did in the cult of VTEC days.
Disagree. I don't see any integra's, del sol's, prelude's, crx's and s2000's on the horizon. And the NSX of today is no longer affordable for 99.9% of the population. I wish those days would come back, because as I was a teen in the mid-late 90's I absolutely love that era and have great nostalgia for it. Just don't see it happening! They've been there, done that and its proven to just not be a money maker for them.

I don't see them flooding the markets with these CTR's either. Honda is a much richer company than Subaru so I highly doubt they look to them as a standard of how things should be done.

As enthusiasts we are an extremely niche market where there is not a lot of $$$ to be made. Remember, they're in business to make money. To prove this and what is so ironic about you stating "Toyota doesn't seem to have a clue", Toyota is actually by far and away the richest auto manufacturer in the world. So while they don't appease our niche wants, they do for the general population and majority rules because that's clearly where the money is!

Boba Debt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd love to see it happen and we can all dream, but don't put words in the guys mouth. That doesn't do us any good.

ahsanmahmood89 stated the following in post #7 of this thread, and it's the truth!:

The article with the interview with the engineer doesn't have him saying anything about AWD. The writer himself just says it could be in the works due to competition having it. No one from Honda suggested AWD from that article.

And yet this was also posted, you just choose not believe it:

Speaking through an interpreter to Automotive News, the Civic's chief engineer Hideki Matsumoto said that more versions of the 306-horsepower hot hatch are on their way.

“We’re hoping that by gradually putting out more [variants] that we’ll be able to maintain a more stable sales volume,” he said.

That's slated to include
a cheaper version, but the budget Type R may not be the only one. Matsumoto-san suggested a more powerful version could be in the works, as well as the potential inclusion of all-wheel drive to better take on the likes of the VW Golf R, Ford Focus RS, and Subaru WRX STI. Those turned off by the Type R's hardcore approach could enjoy a more toned-down version oriented towards touring instead of lap times as well.

That was taken directly from the following article http://www.carscoops.com/2017/06/hondas-new-civic-type-r-is-just.html

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Matsumoto-san suggested a more powerful version could be in the works, as well as the potential inclusion of all-wheel drive to better take on the likes of the VW Golf R, Ford Focus RS, and Subaru WRX STI.
LOL get real dude! There is a reason why you see actual quotes of what the engineer said, but yet none of the awd talk was quoted! It's all speculation from the writer.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall to hear that conversation about awd between the writer and the engineer. Could've went something like:

Writer: Will there ever be an awd type r?
Engineer: Never say never.
Engineer: It's been talked about.

I suspect there is a big reason why none of the AWD talk was quoted. The CTR has been in production for 20+ years and has always been fwd. As much as they may backroom talk about it happening, and I am 100% positive it has been talked about, but that doesn't mean it's in the works. And nothing in that article comes directly from the mouth of anybody in the know.

Learn the difference between speculation(as in the writer using words like "could" and "potential" with there being no actual quotes from the engineer himself) and factual confirmation.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Vdeity86

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350z Anniversary Edition(sold), Accord, #1220 CTR
Country flag
Hmm.. All speculation from the writer . meh

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
Yeah if it's like you say I'm afraid I'll let Honda keep their exclusivity.
Why not spending the money with others flooding the market that offer more important things than just exclusivity? Unless you are a die hard Honda fan, go and try other cars. You might be amazed. There are cars that is enough even getting close to them to get stricken by the quality feel. Let alone starting the engine and driving.

Boba Debt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm guessing you have no idea of how these things work.

Writers have editors and must provide source information for anything that is presented in an article and I can guarantee that Honda maintained editorial control over the interviews they gave.

But keep hoping for the worst, that want fan boys do the best.

If you want proof just look at the what was posted just a few weeks prior to the official release of the R

I can remember when pictures of the sticker were posted and people thought it wasn't legit and then rumors of cars going back to the port because Honda was going to adjust the MSRP based on what people posted in this forum.

There's nothing more arrogant or annoying then a fan boy.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah if it's like you say I'm afraid I'll let Honda keep their exclusivity.
Why not spending the money with others flooding the market that offer more important things than just exclusivity?
If you think the only thing honda offers is "just exclusivity", then I disagree. But I am not going to try to convince you otherwise, that's your prerogative and I am sure you didn't come up with it on a whim just like I am not going to change it on a whim. I could just as easily(and stupidly) say the only thing audi and bmw offers is a false sense of prestige and baller "status" that yuppies ever so long for, but whatever.
Moving on...

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm guessing you have no idea of how these things work.

Writers have editors and must provide source information for anything that is presented in an article and I can guarantee that Honda maintained editorial control over the interviews they gave.

But keep hoping for the worst, that want fan boys do the best.

If you want proof just look at the what was posted just a few weeks prior to the official release of the R

I can remember when pictures of the sticker were posted and people thought it wasn't legit and then rumors of cars going back to the port because Honda was going to adjust the MSRP based on what people posted in this forum.

There's nothing more arrogant or annoying then a fan boy.
You keep throwing out juvenile insults like "arrogant", "annoying" and "fan boy" just because your interpretation of what that article asserted is not what I gathered, and I'll keep to the facts. Suits me just fine.

All it stated was that AWD could potentially happen with absolutely no direct quotes from Honda's chief engineer. That's it! That's the facts!

I could potentially win the lotto this weekend too, I have tickets. Doesn't mean it's going to happen though!

Last edited:

Boba Debt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm sorry, most fan boys think it's s compliment when they are called arrogant and or annoying.

When the lead engineer suggests "a more powerful version could be in the works, as well as the potential inclusion of all-wheel drive" I think we have a better chance at getting one then hitting the lotto.

That does not read as if they are looking at a separate AWD version but more like AWD as an option to the versions they plan to offer.

It's funny how most "enthusiasts" don't try to dispel the possibility of the more powerful base version or more comfortable touring version but at the same time say an AWD version will never happen.

What is it about AWD that gets you guys all worked up, I mean other then the fact that Honda can't seem to ever get it right.
Sponsored