Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
Hi guys did the clutch even at my honda dealer, was a big pain and took me total about 14 hours (so one full work day and like 4 hours).

I wanted to learn and not screw it up so I slowed down a bit. I learned a lot and saved $1500+ of labor by doing it myself at my honda dealer.

**Now the FYI part.** I installed the clutch as per the install video from ACT torque specs and all and red loctite on the crank bolts and clutch pressure plate bolts, could have used the interactive network but chose not to.

I really watched it a few times but eventually just kinda figured it out. But when I finished it, I was heartbroken to find the car wouldn't go into gear and was grinding gears.

Two master techs told me the clutch is bad. I thought to think like on a dirtbike the clutch and brakes are adjustable be it hydraulic or cable. Now I'm like sh*t I did all that work for nothing, the panic starts to set in.

So I did adjust the clevis and jam nut / rod underneath the foot well on the clutch pedal. All fixed, adjusted to have a little free play. Car works great now. Just as a note to others.

**May not apply to everyone but it did for me**
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
In addition to the top adjustment to the pedal travel, I removed the lower plastic stop on the firewall and installed a nutsert or rivnut and a bolt to further narrow the clutch pedal travel for quicker shifts. Narrowing the pedal travel got me familiar with the pedal switch for managing cruise control and the electronic parking brake. FYI, when adjusting the pedal down, it will force the clutch slave cylinder to extend. When reinstalling the transmission, you will have to adjust the pedal back out to reinstall the slave cylinder. Bolt holes won't line up when extended. Adjust the pedal back down as necessary. This compliments the short throw adapter for our shifter.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
FYI, when adjusting the pedal down, it will force the clutch slave cylinder to extend. When reinstalling the transmission, you will have to adjust the pedal back out to reinstall the slave cylinder. Bolt holes won't line up when extended.
ā˜šŸ¼ This. Luckily, my homie the Tech knew the issue.

OP
OP
Spence

Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
ā˜šŸ¼ This. Luckily, my homie the Tech knew the issue.
Interesting, cause I actually compressed the slave cylinder back in by hand because it wouldn't fit back on the bracket. I don't think I damaged anything but still. I'm also not sure as well if this clutch has a wider range of motion than stock (I think it does) cause the fingers stick up like a mountain compared to the stock clutch fingers that were nearly flat.
I'm partly guessing ACT did this to get a soft pedal feel while still maintaining high clamp load on that clutch plate.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting, cause I actually compressed the slave cylinder back in by hand because it wouldn't fit back on the bracket. I don't think I damaged anything but still. I'm also not sure as well if this clutch has a wider range of motion than stock (I think it does) cause the fingers stick up like a mountain compared to the stock clutch fingers that were nearly flat.
I'm partly guessing ACT did this to get a soft pedal feel while still maintaining high clamp load on that clutch plate.
No, yeah, youā€™re probably fine. I was about to do the same, but my homie simply pulled the clutch pedal back up before me. šŸ˜…

yeah, youā€™re probably right there.
Sponsored