Anybody with Ktuner or Hondata with no clutch issues?

ARod1982

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i ve read through some threads on here about alot of clutch issues but im just curious how many of you have been running on a reflash with no issues?
If you can please state the product, tune, bolt-ons, and length of time.
Sponsored

wopsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
I want to know as well. I’ve read you don’t need one with a stage 1 tune, but some members have had their clutch slip with that tune. One member had his clutch slip on a highway pull. Planning on getting a k tuner with vit stage 1 tune this year.

Deleted member

I frequently see on these forums users mention that their clutches are problem free for 1-2 months and then the clutch begins slipping after that. The way I see it, the stock gen X Si's performance already puts a smile on my face and I love the reliability. The slight performance bump from tuning is not worth the wear as far as I am concerned. Granted, I am more of a set it and forget it kind of guy- I am not in my garage 24/7 tinkering. If you do plan on tuning you should plan to get a better clutch not too long after.

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I want to know as well. I’ve read you don’t need one with a stage 1 tune, but some members have had their clutch slip with that tune. One member had his clutch slip on a highway pull. Planning on getting a k tuner with vit stage 1 tune this year.
@KramVT0215 has a custom tune from Vit that peaks at +25/26.. similar to the stage 1 tune, but he had to dial it back to the 19/23 staged map because of clutch slip.

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I frequently see on these forums users mention that their clutches are problem free for 1-2 months and then the clutch begins slipping after that. The way I see it, the stock gen X Si's performance already puts a smile on my face and I love the reliability. The slight performance bump from tuning is not worth the wear as far as I am concerned. Granted, I am more of a set it and forget it kind of guy- I am not in my garage 24/7 tinkering. If you do plan on tuning you should plan to get a better clutch not too long after.
I would like to know if anybody is using KTuner's starter 19 or Hondata's +6 only and whether or not they're slipping off the OE clutch.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am running a 19.5/21 by taking Ktuner's 19.5/23 basemap and copying the 21 boost targets over the 23s. I have no rev hang enabled, quicker spool with all the options set to one more step w/aggressive. As I recall there are several that have a higher stage I have not done this far.

I also have a PRL stage 1 intake that's supposed to be good for 5-9 HP, based on their claims that were backed w/a dyno.

I've done this one single flash and no others at around 2000 miles (~ 1 month ago). I'm a bit over 3000 miles now. I am very familiar with clutch slip and the smell it makes, and have experienced none in my car.

I am mindful, however, not to go WOT at lower RPMs on purpose and have told my wife not to put the hammer down in 6th or 5th just cruising and to downshift... as one should.

My Ktuner in sport oughta be the same as a Hondata +6. So that's a throbbing negative for me after ~1000 miles. I have the grippier OEM summer tires and have done some pretty decent, wheelspin inducing launches and the wheels spin before the clutch breaks loose. Again, no WOT pulls in 6th at low RPMs because... well, I don't hate my car.

Last edited:

Cscott_xGen

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
@KramVT0215 has a custom tune from Vit that peaks at +25/26.. similar to the stage 1 tune, but he had to dial it back to the 19/23 staged map because of clutch slip.

I also have the stage 1 tune and had to put it back to the 19/23 dual because of slip. I just keep it in normal mod and drive slow

l15b7allturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I used 17 psi normal / 21,5 sport mode tune with prl cobra street intake, prl catted downpipe, prl front pipe

I rarely used sport because my clutch would slip a lot. I had highway pulls with my clutch slipping on 17 psi with everything factory except aggressive 1 on turbo ramp up

so i ended up with an fx300. My oem clutch is currently in my garage and it still has a lot of "meat" on it.

wopsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Did the fx300 take care of the slip? I know the 350 is popular, but I’m not going for crazy horsepower. Just a reliable clutch to last for a long time with a stage 1 tune.

l15b7allturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Did the fx300 take care of the slip? I know the 350 is popular, but I’m not going for crazy horsepower. Just a reliable clutch to last for a long time with a stage 1 tune.
I read somewhere that the fx300 should last longer than the fx350.

get the fx350 if you're trying to run a custom tune on e85 but if you're stock turbo with custom tune then an fx300 is perfectly fine.

I have absolutely no clutch slip even in high gears. Pedal feel is very stiff compared to stock but it loosens up after a little driving or i might of gotten used to it actually. It's not as stiff as the first day I got my car back. I heard fx350 is a lot stiffer than fx300 and I don't want to deal with that in San Diego traffic.

tapakidney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I used 17 psi normal / 21,5 sport mode tune with prl cobra street intake, prl catted downpipe, prl front pipe

I rarely used sport because my clutch would slip a lot. I had highway pulls with my clutch slipping on 17 psi with everything factory except aggressive 1 on turbo ramp up

so i ended up with an fx300. My oem clutch is currently in my garage and it still has a lot of "meat" on it.
How much did the install cost you?

Blackbettysi

First Name
Shain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lunar Silver SI Coupe
Country flag
I am on the 19psi ktuner starter map. Clutch slip since 3000miles. At 11000 now. Disgusted. Best part is it did it before the tune

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vit's 19.5/25 tune does not boost the turbo pressure to 25 psi and cause clutch slip! Only the driver is the one that does that. Vit only raises the limit. Nobody is forced to go to the limit. Good drivers don't lug the engine. They don't tell the engineers to make it impossible for them to lug the engine. From what I gather clutch slip is usually from boosting the pressure past 20 psi in a higher gear below 4000 rpm. Just don't do that and maybe you will be fine. If you want to play around with 25 psi boost then do it in lower gears and in higher gears above 4000 rpm.

Cscott_xGen

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Vit's 19.5/25 tune does not boost the turbo pressure to 25 psi and cause clutch slip! Only the driver is the one that does that. Vit only raises the limit. Nobody is forced to go to the limit. Good drivers don't lug the engine. They don't tell the engineers to make it impossible for them to lug the engine. From what I gather clutch slip is usually from boosting the pressure past 20 psi in a higher gear below 4000 rpm. Just don't do that and maybe you will be fine. If you want to play around with 25 psi boost then do it in lower gears and in higher gears above 4000 rpm.

Why is vits tune better? I have not run any data logs yet but I think ill do one tonight using the dual 19/23 map and then one tomorrow running the vit dual map. Most members dont want to blow up there engine so any new information is always helpful!
Sponsored