Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've only had my 2018 Civic EX-L Hatchback now for 6 months (since May 1st), and as much as I've enjoyed my experience with it, tuning, and learning more about how cars work, I've had thoughts of selling. Even with a Phearable tune, it simply isn't as fast as I want it to be. Doesn't stand out as much, either. Not sure what I'd go to, I have a few thoughts in mind but nothing in particular this second, so I would simply be selling and going back to my old vehicle (2004 Tahoe with 340k on the dash) for the time being.
Mentioned the thought to my parents, they suggested I look online to see what ballpark figure to expect. KBB claims that PPV (Very Good Condition) would run around $25,700 right now with less than 35,000. Don't expect to get anywhere near that, but considering I spent $20k on her, and there's a 2018 Sport HB with 71,000 miles selling for $19,500 nearby, I think I could shoot for $23,000 considering I have fresh CVT and Engine oil changes, tires have another 5-7,000 miles, windows tinted, side skirts, window visors, LED headlights, and more already done to her.
Haven't made a decision yet, but am strongly considering it at this point. As much as I loved my FK7 and will always be a Civic guy at heart, I just want more. Type R is out of my reach, want something I can get good enough MPG with just commuting but faster than what my FK7 would be as a CVT w/ stock turbo.

Again, no decisions made but am considering it. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated here tbh.
Sponsored

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm, so, you’re wondering basically, if the performance potential of the HB is greater than your EX-L? Probably not by much. You’re better off selling the EX-L, adding the profit to savings, drive the side-ride, and continue to save so you can get a CTR, what you really want.

No?

Yeah?

OP
OP
rwk226

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm, so, you’re wondering basically, if the performance potential of the HB is greater than your EX-L? Probably not by much. You’re better off selling the EX-L, adding the profit to savings, drive the side-ride, and continue to save so you can get a CTR, what you really want.

No?

Yeah?
Great way of looking at it.
Yes, take the extra cash back in my pocket every month and save it, graduate college in December and get a full time job / promotion at work, and be able to afford either a Type R or another car. Tahoe's fully paid off so while I'd spend more on gas, there is no note and insurance is dirt cheap, so I'd be able to save more.
I know what the FK7s can do, and what their limits are. I make 220whp and 270wtq or so already with Phearable 1.5R and while it is night and day difference over stock, I still want more power, something better, something more flashy too I guess.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great way of looking at it.
Yes, take the extra cash back in my pocket every month and save it, graduate college in December and get a full time job / promotion at work, and be able to afford either a Type R or another car. Tahoe's fully paid off so while I'd spend more on gas, there is no note and insurance is dirt cheap, so I'd be able to save more.
I know what the FK7s can do, and what their limits are. I make 220whp and 270wtq or so already with Phearable 1.5R and while it is night and day difference over stock, I still want more power, something better, something more flashy too I guess.
It might suck to drive the Tahoe for now, but it’s not forever. Look at the horizon, and use the CTR buy as a grad gift to yourself (because you deserve it! Congrats! ?). You’ll be much happier in the long run, instead of always wondering what-if.

Average Joeee

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I mean what else is there that makes more than around 220 whp thats not 30k plus? I mean theres WRXs they make around 250 hp but they're heavier than hondas so I feel like it would even out (not sure never drove one). Then STis but those are like 35k+. Maybe a Focus ST or RS, RS would still be hella expensive. My brother has a Mazda Speed 3 making 300 WHP and its pretty wicked dont know how much you had to dump to make that I know hes tuned and stock turbo dont know what else is done.

OP
OP
rwk226

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Depends on how far back I look. I can buy 2015+ Focus ST (NOT RS) in good condition for less than $20k and they make 252hp, I can buy an early 2010s Mustang or Camaro v8 but with closer to 80,000 miles for under $20k. At least around here. I'm not necessarily looking for a new car right now either. I'm fine going used if the owner took care of the car and no accidents.
230whp isn't bad at all, but it just isn't enough for me. I've driven a friends Manual 2000s v6 Mustang and it was honestly more fun to drive simply because I could row my own gears. Sure it's slower than the Civic by a fair amount, but it's more engaging.

Again, not totally sure on anything. I could just keep my civic and have it till the wheels fall off, or I can trade/sell and make a buck, save up for something more expensive. Feeling the latter for sure.

Last edited:

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
I mean what else is there that makes more than around 220 whp thats not 30k plus? I mean theres WRXs they make around 250 hp but they're heavier than hondas so I feel like it would even out (not sure never drove one). Then STis but those are like 35k+. Maybe a Focus ST or RS, RS would still be hella expensive. My brother has a Mazda Speed 3 making 300 WHP and its pretty wicked dont know how much you had to dump to make that I know hes tuned and stock turbo dont know what else is done.
Dude.. I tried passing a Mazda Speed 3 @ about 125mph.. dude looked at me and shook his head. I never got to pass him cuz he dropped his gear and left me like I was only riding a bicycle ? his topout had to be like 160mph.. ?

Augenauf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Depends on how far back I look. I can buy 2015+ Focus ST (NOT RS) in good condition for less than $20k and they make 252hp, I can buy an early 2010s Mustang or Camaro v8 but with closer to 80,000 miles for under $20k. At least around here. I'm not necessarily looking for a new car right now either. I'm fine going used if the owner took care of the car and no accidents.
230whp isn't bad at all, but it just isn't enough for me. I've driven a friends Manual 2000s v6 Mustang and it was honestly more fun to drive simply because I could row my own gears. Sure it's slower than the Civic by a fair amount, but it's more engaging.

Again, not totally sure on anything. I could just keep my civic and have it till the wheels fall off, or I can trade/sell and make a buck, save up for something more expensive. Feeling the latter for sure.
I went from a LX hatch to an Si. While it didn't feel like THAT big of a power increase, the stiffer suspension and 6 speed made a world of different in terms of engagement. Maybe go test drive a 6 speed hatch or Si if you could find one within your budget. Remember, it's human nature to always want what you don't have. Even if you get a Mustang or something of the like, you'll eventually get bored and want something better and faster.

Cody

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I went from a LX hatch to an Si. While it didn't feel like THAT big of a power increase, the stiffer suspension and 6 speed made a world of different in terms of engagement. Maybe go test drive a 6 speed hatch or Si if you could find one within your budget. Remember, it's human nature to always want what you don't have. Even if you get a Mustang or something of the like, you'll eventually get bored and want something better and faster.
I agree. I went from a 2015 si to a 2019 type r and I want something faster.

OP
OP
rwk226

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't get me wrong, 10th Gen Civics on the right tune are QUICK. Just not fast. Great commuter cars for sure. As much as I love the styling of the CTR as well, I am having second thoughts about buying one. I've had my eyes on Focus ST's as they make a bit more power, are 6 speed manuals, and with a tune +bolt on/s they compare to a CTR, and can get one for under $20k near me with low miles.

Side note, parents are actually borrowing the Civic for a road trip this week since their road trip vehicle is in the shop with some sort of electrical issue (2012 Yukon), and they're loving it so far. I got left with my Tahoe and our '07 V6 Mustang for the week, and I decided to drive the Mustang today to work. It's absolutely incredible how far we've come with cars, even since the late 2000s. The v6 4.0L Mustang is SLOW, steering is heavy and numb, suspension way too soft and the sway bars are non existent compared to my HB. The automatic felt nicer than the CVT, but that's it. My Civic is WAY faster than that Mustang, for sure. Driving the Tahoe tomorrow, and I drove it a few weeks ago and still loved it. Sure it isn't even comparable to the Mustang in the sense of sportiness, but I would not mind going back to her for a while if I sell the Civic.

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do have to say... If you care about the interior, the Focus ST is not it. The interior of the Civic looks/feels so much better than the Focus's.

IMO, the interior is where we spend all our time when we get into our cars, so it's gotta feel good.

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Shoot.. I upgraded my interior to tactical Ballistiic Cordura and it's been pretty spot-on so far. ?