In the Market for Exhaust! Help needed!

mofoD

First Name
D$
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue '18 Si Coupe (Toy), White Orchid Pearl '16 Accord Touring V6 Coupe (Daily)
Country flag
So im guessing its loud in the cabin , higher rpms= louder exhaust note or just really deep tone?
yep loud in the cabin at times with the deep bass filled drone. and its a deep tone in high rpms. by no means is this a quiet exhaust. but the best drone out of any 10th gen aftermarket exhaust.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RLegionSi

RLegionSi

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I have the Invidia R400 and love it. Nice low tone, louder than stock, but not annoying. I'm pairing it with a catted 3" PRL fp/dp V2 and PRL Cobra Race intake at the end of the month, followed by TSP Stage 1 Race tune, and excited for additional sound/power. Plus triple tip.
I was looking at this one also. The triple tip is what enticed me! Does it have a deep tone to it sort of like a rumble? How’s the drone inside the cabin? I commute a lot so I’m constantly cruising on the highway.

Old George

First Name
Georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
After installing the down pipe ( nov 2017 ), as soon I started the engine, I found that the sound was too loud in the cabin and that it clearly came from the back.
That is why I phonically insulated the trunk. I found a good improvement.
In my opinion, the original down pipe also serves as a muffler, in part, while the Afe Takeda down pipe offers little restriction on gas flow and also on noise.
This noise spreads to the rest of the system, which is also slightly restrictive and exits trough the HDMI tip.
I concluded that the original exhaust system is very sufficient for a 1.5L engine except the down pipe.

waterudoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI HFP, 3V Mustang, G37xS
Country flag
Why did you need to sound proof the trunk when the downpipe is at the front (honest question)? Wouldn’t the loudness be coming more from the engine bay then from the rear?
Because the sound of the exhaust system is still coming out from the rear, under the trunk. Most interior noise comes from the trunk. Put the rear seats down, and you'll hear the exhaust more.

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
I’ve heard great things about the MAPerformance exhaust. Did you have a problem with the installation? Some people said that they had trouble w it hanging too low? This was originally my choice and I’ve been thinking on it more and more
These are the best pictures I can provide at this moment. With the clamps they provide, I could probably tuck the pipes even further up if i felt i needed to. I have not had any scraping issues thus far. However, I am not lowered. If you plan on going real real low then maybe you will have a problem but that is speculation. I plan to lower with SI specific Sportlines when they come out and I am not worried about scraping at all. I did not have a problem with installation per se. When I first tightened everything down, the pipes were not centered perfectly and the resonator was rubbing against the under cover. I just went back down, loosened the clamps and started turning pipes to make it right. This was my first exhaust switch out so it took me some time but I was very successful. It will take a little patience and I would recommend doing the installation yourself unless you know someone personally that has some sense. Nothing needs to be modified or cut for this product to fit. To me it is just perfect. My car sounds like not other on the road. The cabin noise was real when I first installed but honestly it has improved astronomically. My wife is super sensitive to loud noises. At first she wanted me to take off the pipes because she thought the cabin noise was too harsh. After a month or so she has no issues with it. We can go on long road trips without being uncomfortable. She only rides in my car maybe 10% of the time so she is not just getting used to the noise. My car is dirty AF so dont judge the pipes cosmetically from my pictures. The blue really shines after a good wash and wipe down.
Honda Civic 10th gen In the Market for Exhaust! Help needed! Exhaust Pic 4
Honda Civic 10th gen In the Market for Exhaust! Help needed! Exhaust Pic 2
Honda Civic 10th gen In the Market for Exhaust! Help needed! Exhaust Pic 3

rive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I've got the exact opposite problem. I dislike the factory sound but I don't want a loud exhaust. In fact, everything aftermarket seems to be the two things I hate in four cylinder exhausts: 1) boomy bass and 2) loud. And I get why, as those things sell. But I like what performance 4 bangers of the 70's sounded like. They were raucous, gritty, not boomy in any way and often quiet unless you really stood on the throttle.

The closest I've found is from 27WON, but that still sounds so smooth and refined. I want that old BMW 2002 or Lancia Fulvia sound. I don't care that it isn't the iconic JDM sound signature, I still like it.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I've got the exact opposite problem. I dislike the factory sound but I don't want a loud exhaust. In fact, everything aftermarket seems to be the two things I hate in four cylinder exhausts: 1) boomy bass and 2) loud. And I get why, as those things sell. But I like what performance 4 bangers of the 70's sounded like. They were raucous, gritty, not boomy in any way and often quiet unless you really stood on the throttle.

The closest I've found is from 27WON, but that still sounds so smooth and refined. I want that old BMW 2002 or Lancia Fulvia sound. I don't care that it isn't the iconic JDM sound signature, I still like it.
Those were NA engines in those days, the drone sound unfortunately is a product of a downsized turbocharged engine, and the aftermarket exhausts unfortunately amplify the droning sound in some cases. If you look at the stock mufflers in comparison to the aftermarket performance exhausts, they are much bigger, my Takeda mufflers are about half the size of stock

Last edited:

rive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Those were NA engines in those days, the drone sound unfortunately is a product of a downsized turbocharged engine, and the aftermarket exhausts unfortunately amplify the droning sound in some cases. If you look at the stock mufflers in comparison to the aftermarket performance exhausts, they are much bigger, my Takeda mufflers are about half the size of stock
As I understand it, there is also a lot having to do with exhaust valve timing and header/manifold geometry. The Veloster N gets around this stuff by keeping the turbo spooled momentarily after you release the throttle so you get lots of pops and bangs between shifts, but the overall sound profile is still rather subdued compared to those old cars. And I do question the longevity of Hyundai's turbo in that application. Still, is it so much to ask for Honda reliability and classic Alfa sound? (yes, it is)

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
As I understand it, there is also a lot having to do with exhaust valve timing and header/manifold geometry. The Veloster N gets around this stuff by keeping the turbo spooled momentarily after you release the throttle so you get lots of pops and bangs between shifts, but the overall sound profile is still rather subdued compared to those old cars. And I do question the longevity of Hyundai's turbo in that application. Still, is it so much to ask for Honda reliability and classic Alfa sound? (yes, it is)
The crackle and pop sounds are done thru tuning through a controlled misfire, there are youtube videos people are putting out on how to get the pops. After replacing my stock exhaust with the Takeda, I get a very small cracking sound when i let off the gas, but no pops. The crackling was probably already there, but due to the stock exhaust being quieter it was harder to hear

OP
OP
RLegionSi

RLegionSi

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
These are the best pictures I can provide at this moment. With the clamps they provide, I could probably tuck the pipes even further up if i felt i needed to. I have not had any scraping issues thus far. However, I am not lowered. If you plan on going real real low then maybe you will have a problem but that is speculation. I plan to lower with SI specific Sportlines when they come out and I am not worried about scraping at all. I did not have a problem with installation per se. When I first tightened everything down, the pipes were not centered perfectly and the resonator was rubbing against the under cover. I just went back down, loosened the clamps and started turning pipes to make it right. This was my first exhaust switch out so it took me some time but I was very successful. It will take a little patience and I would recommend doing the installation yourself unless you know someone personally that has some sense. Nothing needs to be modified or cut for this product to fit. To me it is just perfect. My car sounds like not other on the road. The cabin noise was real when I first installed but honestly it has improved astronomically. My wife is super sensitive to loud noises. At first she wanted me to take off the pipes because she thought the cabin noise was too harsh. After a month or so she has no issues with it. We can go on long road trips without being uncomfortable. She only rides in my car maybe 10% of the time so she is not just getting used to the noise. My car is dirty AF so dont judge the pipes cosmetically from my pictures. The blue really shines after a good wash and wipe down.
Exhaust Pic 4.jpg
Exhaust Pic 2.jpg
Exhaust Pic 3.jpg
Cool beans man! Thank you for the informative description. Much appreciated! You get any pops and gurgles w this exhaust? I’m on TSP Stage 1 rn, but are you running any custom tune or OTS tune also?

Zcfc3dc5

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si, 2002 Acura rsx type s, 2011 Nissan Titan
Country flag
I have the hks hipower with the maperformance downpipe and frontpipe. It’s not super loud at all and just real deep. I love how it sounds

OP
OP
RLegionSi

RLegionSi

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I have the hks hipower with the maperformance downpipe and frontpipe. It’s not super loud at all and just real deep. I love how it sounds
How is the drone in the cabin? Sustainable at highway cruising speeds? Enough to have a comfortable conversation w friends? Or not at all close? Only asking because someone from earlier said the HKS HiPower has a lot of drone and has a lot of deep bass to it?

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
Cool beans man! Thank you for the informative description. Much appreciated! You get any pops and gurgles w this exhaust? I’m on TSP Stage 1 rn, but are you running any custom tune or OTS tune also?
I am running TSP Stage 1 tune with catted DP/FP by Maperformance. Yes there are pops every now and then along with gurgles that gives me a shit eating grin on a daily basis.

OP
OP
RLegionSi

RLegionSi

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I am running TSP Stage 1 tune with catted DP/FP by Maperformance. Yes there are pops every now and then along with gurgles that gives me a shit eating grin on a daily basis.
That’s what i was planning on running. PRLs Catted DP/FP combo with an exhaust just cause i don’t want it obnoxiously loud, and also the smell of fuel is not good for our environment haha. The gurgles I’m sure would make me smile all the time !

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
That’s what i was planning on running. PRLs Catted DP/FP combo with an exhaust just cause i don’t want it obnoxiously loud, and also the smell of fuel is not good for our environment haha. The gurgles I’m sure would make me smile all the time !
There is really not much to gain with catless dowpipes. The gain difference is minimal. Plus the catless makes the exhaust sound more raspy.
Sponsored