How to stop Android Auto automatically launching?

eob2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UKDM 2017 Civic Sport Plus Hatch (1.5T 6MT)
Country flag
Hi All,
Ever since I've had my 2017 Civic I've had android auto configured to not automatically launch, it connects and the android auto logo appears on the homescreen but I need to click it to launch. This is how I like it, I have an AAWireless dongle so my phone will always connect, having it open every time I start the car isn't ideal.

However today I installed a 2021 Head Unit as I wanted the knob, I opted to replace the whole unit to avoid the dimming issues people have reported when just swapping the screens. Everything went smoothly and I have the head unit working fine however I cannot for the life of me figure out how to tell Android Auto to not auto-launch. I have been through every settings menu I can find both on my phone and the head unit, am I missing something here or is this a weird regression in the later head units?
Sponsored

KensBlueGenX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 1.5l MT HB Sport
Country flag
I'm going to guess, and it's just a guess, that the 2021 head unit you got has Honda Hack installed on it and it's configured to launch AA at boot up. I had mine that way for awhile, but decided I didn't like in and changed it back.

OP
OP
eob2000

eob2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm going to guess, and it's just a guess, that the 2021 head unit you got has Honda Hack installed on it and it's configured to launch AA at boot up. I had mine that way for awhile, but decided I didn't like in and changed it back.
The 2021 head unit was clean when I got it, I've since hondahacked it myself to see if there was an option there to disable the auto-launch. I think i'm gonna have to power up my 2017 HU and see if there are any different options on it.

KensBlueGenX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 1.5l MT HB Sport
Country flag
The 2021 head unit was clean when I got it, I've since hondahacked it myself to see if there was an option there to disable the auto-launch. I think i'm gonna have to power up my 2017 HU and see if there are any different options on it.
Well, like I said, was just a guess!

logan5

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
On your PHONE: Go to settings and search for Android Auto. Click "Android Auto". There's a setting there to Start Android Auto automatically. You may be able to change this and get the behavior you're looking for.

OP
OP
eob2000

eob2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So weirdly enough it just randomly stopped doing it. Now when I get in the car AA doesn't launch just as it did on my previous HU. Very odd, oh well, it's working now.
Aaand it's back, not only does it automatically open but it also automatically starts playing music despite also having that option off. I can only assume that something changed in the HU firmware which forces this behaviour, very annoying. Might have to go back to just using AA wired.

Zavage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6, FC1, Accord CU1
Country flag
Got a strange behaviour too with Android Auto.
It won't start automatically, i have to reboot my phone a about 95% of the time to use it. This occured only after the latest AA update. But sometimes it will work without a reboot.

And another thing: if i'm listening to radio and taping on the "Audio" symbol on the homescreen, it will ask me everytime if i still want to use the FM radio.
This occured about a year after owning this car without any software updates etc.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Aaand it's back, not only does it automatically open but it also automatically starts playing music despite also having that option off. I can only assume that something changed in the HU firmware which forces this behaviour, very annoying. Might have to go back to just using AA wired.
have you tried factory resetting all settings on your head unit? that should get you back to square 1 when it was sitting on a lot at dealership

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
my issue is my wifes note 20 wont connect, i think its because when she first plugged it in she hit disable on the message that pops up to click enable or disable. been trying to get it to connect again for a while now and no luck.

OP
OP
eob2000

eob2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
my issue is my wifes note 20 wont connect, i think its because when she first plugged it in she hit disable on the message that pops up to click enable or disable. been trying to get it to connect again for a while now and no luck.
Settings -> Smartphone -> Android Auto

You can change that setting from there. You can also fully delete the device and start again.

OP
OP
eob2000

eob2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
have you tried factory resetting all settings on your head unit? that should get you back to square 1 when it was sitting on a lot at dealership
I did factory reset the head unit when I first got it but I may well try it again.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Settings -> Smartphone -> Android Auto

You can change that setting from there. You can also fully delete the device and start again.
yea i tried looking for that setting but couldnt find it, also have removed her device from the system but dont get the pop up for the enable & disable screen. ill be taking another hack at it Friday when i have time.
Sponsored