How immune are the 2016s to theft?

hanadarko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Ok, so I know we all have one of the top 10 stolen cars out there...but does anyone know how 'secure' our Civics are?

I'm worried about break-ins from moron thieves thinking they can steal something like a radio or similar more so than someone taking the entire car away....

Once it happened to me with a firebird in 1992. The only thing that stopped them from taking the car was the PASSKEY GM system. They cracked the steering column and tried to start the car but got nowhere. I'm sure it was a bunch of teens that were looking for a joyride. That car was easy to get into especially with the frameless windows.

I have the Touring Civic so I know I got all of the bells and whistles from the factory but how good is our native security REALLY?
Does anyone know (not how-to) but how easy these doors and ignition are to gain access to?
Sponsored

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
If they want to take your car they will. Nothing will stop them. I really don't think a 2016 civic touring is on the list for thieves . The reason older civics where stolen because all the parts Where interchangeable. The civic x is on a new platform. The only thing that will fit is the rims and people are to busy stealing accord sport rims. At least up in NJ. When the new civic SI and R come out people will be stealing them to swap in to lower models ect.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only theives that will be able to steal your car, are the ones with the very expensive tools, and they are more worried about higher end cars probably. Maybe a dishonest employee at the dealer where you bought it, but that's unlikely. As far as getting into the car, that's another story. Although if they break into mine to steal something, they're going to be sorely disappointed, unless they are looking for a USB with cranberries music on it, or a black steering wheel cover. They ain't gonna get much else.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thieves love to go for the quick and easy hits, car without a physical key and newer tech take longer to penetrate and steal. Not saying it can't be done, but I think the risk is quite low.

Mine also has red stickers on the front windows saying 'tracked by law enforcement', and if they open the glove box and see what's inside (not a gun), they'll probably leave everything alone and go on their merry way.

Last edited:

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thieves love to go for the quick and easy hits, car without a physical key and newer tech take longer to penetrate and steal. Not saying it can't be done, but I think the risk is quite low.

Mine also has red stickers on the front windows saying 'tracked by law enforcement', and if they open the glove box and see what's inside, they'll probably leave everything alone and go on their merry way.
As opposed to just taking your gun?

Another good tip is to never leave anything of value/cash in sight. A lot of car breakins are due to people leaving money in the console, or a tablet/gps/phone in plain sight. The folks around here also steal wheels, but usually a wheel lock is enough to prevent that too, unless you have some spendy rims on.

nicoled985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
I got my 2015 Civic broken into over a jacket and my apartment keys were in the jacket smh.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As opposed to just taking your gun?

Another good tip is to never leave anything of value/cash in sight. A lot of car breakins are due to people leaving money in the console, or a tablet/gps/phone in plain sight. The folks around here also steal wheels, but usually a wheel lock is enough to prevent that too, unless you have some spendy rims on.
Biggest deterrent IMO.

OP
OP

hanadarko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
I have nothing of value in the car at all. I used to keep spare 8rnd mags in the center console but between worrying about new theft and now traveling into Draconian Anti-2A Chicago, I removed them. I have stock Touring rims/tires but did get the $35 wheel lock set and installed them.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have nothing of value in the car at all. I used to keep spare 8rnd mags in the center console but between worrying about new theft and now traveling into Draconian Anti-2A Chicago, I removed them. I have stock Touring rims/tires but did get the $35 wheel lock set and installed them.
Same. If someone wants to take stuff out of my car, enjoy my $3 microfiber towel and my Dunkin Donuts napkins.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hm... I guess the most expensive thing they would be stealing is probably my dash cam. Besides that nothing else to really steal besides a bit of febreeze, tissues and a towel.

MisterEnigma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Being that I'm from NYC, I don't trust people so easily so I got a passive alarm/wheel lock installed just in case. Will something happen? Probably not.

If anything, the most likely theft to occur would be getting the rim stolen but there are a few new Accords in my neighborhood so they're more likely targets.

Also, if someone wants to steal something, they'll steal it whether it's breaking the window or not.

burns_erin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX w/Sensing
Country flag
People are jackasses, in 2002 I was driving an 88 Bronco II. And someone busted in my window to steal my very snazzy factory tape deck, and they even cut the antenna wire.

So I make no assumptions regarding the sense of petty theives.

As for actually taking our cars, the reader/cloner devices used to dupe the signals are currently quite expensive, so it shortens the odds considerably.

Buttagood4you

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 1997
I remember getting my current honda accord 97 stolen 3 times over the course of 6 years. All damn joyrides and one took my stereo and original xbox. Luckily no windows were broken but it's so inconvenient for the owner to deal with fixing either the broken windows or the mess they leave.

Idk, I didn't think about theft on the newer cars until now but all you can do is to be proactive and ensure your vehicle is best protected as it can be.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If they want to take your car they will. Nothing will stop them. I really don't think a 2016 civic touring is on the list for thieves . The reason older civics where stolen because all the parts Where interchangeable. The civic x is on a new platform. The only thing that will fit is the rims and people are to busy stealing accord sport rims. At least up in NJ. When the new civic SI and R come out people will be stealing them to swap in to lower models ect.
I definitely see a lot of accord sport rims on random cars lately lol

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I definitely see a lot of accord sport rims on random cars lately lol
I guess I'm in the minority of disliking those rims huh? To me they just look....tacky. I saw an Accord Sport at our dealership. I loved the car, but my first thought was how goofy those wheels looked. I just hate big wheels. And yes, 19" wheels are big to me. I don't even like 18" wheels, with the exception of the Civic Touring style, those are pretty smooth. To each his own though.
Sponsored