How can Hyundai get it so right, and Honda so wrong?

moonman

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R GT (FK8, 2018)
Country flag
Remember the Type R spirit: Small, light, simple, fast.
The Honda engineers followed those rules. They built the exhaust without flaps and buttons on purpose. Less parts that could break, like typemismatch said. There will never be an official Honda exhaust upgrade introducing a flap.
Just to repeat myself :)
Sponsored

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
So, having a child in the car and trying to carry on a conversation with her doing 50, I can say it's not "insanely quiet." I have to ask her to speak up all the time, she hates it (but loves the car and is the devil on my shoulder asking me to go faster :) ). Noise levels are subjective as heck. For me, the level is perfect for everyday driving. Loud enough to add to the experience, not so loud it draws the wrong kind of attention or makes conversations with passengers completely pointless. I may be in the minority, but I honestly think they nailed it. The Hyundai may have pops and crackles but I could care less about that stuff. I also have added a HFC downpipe, so that adds a little too, as does tuning. 2.0L I4s just don't make too sexy of noises, unfortunately.
I agree the exhaust sound of this car is about perfect for a daily in fact I want it a little quieter when I am driving on the interstate but would love it just a tad louder for when I’m being aggressive. On the note of 2.0L I4 not sounding amazing well I beg to differ. The f20c with an exhaust sounds pretty damn good.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree the exhaust sound of this car is about perfect for a daily in fact I want it a little quieter when I am driving on the interstate but would love it just a tad louder for when I’m being aggressive. On the note of 2.0L I4 not sounding amazing well I beg to differ. The f20c with an exhaust sounds pretty damn good.
But the F20C doesn't have a turbo sitting in the exhaust stream, that changes the sound significantly, as does a 9k RPM redline.

Edit - I should have been more specific and said "Turbo 2.0L I4's don't make the sexiest noises."

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
But the F20C doesn't have a turbo sitting in the exhaust stream, that changes the sound significantly, as does a 9k RPM redline.

Edit - I should have been more specific and said "Turbo 2.0L I4's don't make the sexiest noises."
Mine does lol and it makes a hell of a sound but that’s a different story and as far as stock cars your right, granted the cla45 amg does have a pretty good sound! AmG knows sounds.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
VW owner trolling y'all and it worked.

Ricers love their pops and bangs from an exhaust

Pierito

First Name
Piero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R (CW), 2007 Honda S2000 (SS)
Country flag
I have an S2000 with an aftermarket exhaust and it is LOUD. I love it, but I'd never want to daily a car with a loud exhaust. In fact, I actually think the CTR is slightly louder than I'd like for daily driving, but alas...

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
Please...
I heared recently a I30N on the street. It sounds like a hysterical fart when having those bad enteritis. I'd like to see someone driving for few hours trips in this farting atmosphere.

What's this pleasure of annoying people with these obnoxiously strikingly loud (beyond sportiness) annoying exhausts especially in the cities? Why all these pop/cracz/bangz fans don't go listening them outside the city? Because there is nobody to attract attention to.

I think CTR is the perfect compromise: nice baritone sport note without being obnoxious/farty.

Last edited:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I guess having a Type R is really a cult that thinks their car is superior in every measurable way to other cars out there. look at this video:

The car is pre production but has the same exhaust as a production version of the Veloster N btw. Anyone saying that Veloster N sounds "rice" is just trying to justify the fact that their car sounds more like an econobox rather than a purpose built performance car. The Veloster N makes do with its 4 cylinder engine and it sounds amazing. Dont believe me? Look at the comments in the video, that tells you everything you need to know. If anything, the Type R is more rice with its over-styled body plastic toy kind of look. Sorry for the rant but I got kind of sick of people trying to say it sounds "rice" when in fact it is quite the opposite. Literally not a single negative comment in the video.

dixie1

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renault Megane RS Lotus Exige V6 and soon Honda civic type R 2018
Country flag
I wish my Type R would sound like the Hyundai :drive:

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
I guess having a Type R is really a cult that thinks their car is superior in every measurable way to other cars out there. look at this video:

The car is pre production but has the same exhaust as a production version of the Veloster N btw. Anyone saying that Veloster N sounds "rice" is just trying to justify the fact that their car sounds more like an econobox rather than a purpose built performance car. The Veloster N makes do with its 4 cylinder engine and it sounds amazing. Dont believe me? Look at the comments in the video, that tells you everything you need to know. If anything, the Type R is more rice with its over-styled body plastic toy kind of look. Sorry for the rant but I got kind of sick of people trying to say it sounds "rice" when in fact it is quite the opposite. Literally not a single negative comment in the video.
It sounds like a fucking ball rattling around a plastic bottle. I watched thestraightpipes video - it sounded fucking terrible, despite all their gushing.

Does the noise make it go faster? Is it a by-product of going faster? Nope? Oh, it was engineered for the *sound*?

Rice.

And after the gushing vloggers, MT and C&D have swooped in to say the N is a nice effort, but nowhere near the Type R. It's more of a contender for the GTI or Civic SI.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
You clearly do not like engine/exhaust sound so enjoy your quiet car and be on your way- this thread is not for you. Posts like yours are like a vegetarian that goes into a steakhouse and starts shouting at everyone to stop eating meat because you don't.
What are you going on about? This is a troll thread from a VW idiot in a Type R forum and he's telling you why *he bought a fucking Type R and prefers the exhaust note*. Tell me again why needs to not post?

I'm a Type R consumer. I love the exhaust note. What's your problem with that?

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
It sounds like a fucking ball rattling around a plastic bottle. I watched thestraightpipes video - it sounded fucking terrible, despite all their gushing.

Does the noise make it go faster? Is it a by-product of going faster? Nope? Oh, it was engineered for the *sound*?

Rice.

And after the gushing vloggers, MT and C&D have swooped in to say the N is a nice effort, but nowhere near the Type R. It's more of a contender for the GTI or Civic SI.
Didnt seem to read what I said. If you look at the comments in the video, theres not a single person there saying its "rice" and in fact its the exact opposite. Im fact in other videos about the veloster N's exhaust, they all say the same thing. Also where did I talk about driving dynamics?? Im talking purely about sound here. This thread is about sound brother, not you're beloved nurburgring times. Also by your logic, "do the fake vents and unecessary gills alomg with the oversized wheels and 3 exhaust tips that sound like a corolla make the CTR go faster? Nope. Rice. Not everything about driving is performance, things like an exhaust note and styling can go a long way to make a car fun and to drive. You just dont seem ro get that.

averagetrackdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag
How about this: Why don't we all wait for the Veloster N to be released here in the US, take a test drive, and then make up our minds? Instead of relying on what others say, I prefer to make up my own mind. As a CTR driver, I wouldn't mind an exhaust with more character.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Like most, I never understood the segment of people who do not like exhaust or engine sound yet feel the need to come into threads about exhaust or engine sound just to tell people they shouldn't do it because they don't like it. I don't really buy the argument that it's a hardship to others when someone does it either- plenty of motorcycles come stock louder than anything people are doing to their cars and people don't bat an eye when they commute to work.

You clearly do not like engine/exhaust sound so enjoy your quiet car and be on your way- this thread is not for you. Posts like yours are like a vegetarian that goes into a steakhouse and starts shouting at everyone to stop eating meat because you don't.
Well sir the whole thread is about not liking exaust notes so... my posts are right in line. My quiet note does not bother anyone else. Your loud tuned car annoys everyone around you plus wakes up the people next door each time you crank it so.... like my point you are forcing others to indure your choices. And when your choices affect my life yeah I'm gonna say something. Let us say you dont like rap. Each morning I turn my stereo up thumping and make you 5 am each morning. I can bet you wouldn't take long to piss you off and have cops called. It's no different with loud cars. It annoys and invades others personal space. It is why a lot of towns have laws against it.
Sponsored