How can Hyundai get it so right, and Honda so wrong?

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
The CTR is great, but once you get pass the honeymoon phase, you begin to see the limitation of FWD power-train really quickly.
IMO, go RWD then, not AWD. That's what makes the original NSX and S2000 so special. AWD gets boring quickly. RWD, manual transmission = true driver's car.
Sponsored

Sup_Devil

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Pilot, S2000, 2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I just read this entire thread and sorry to ressurect it but... I have been reading for 2 years how quiet and boring the exhaust is on the Type R and I now have like 80 miles on my 2019 R....maybe my expectations were really really low from reading all these things but I think it has a nice refined growl inside. I'm not sure if there is any difference in the 17/18-19 but I was really surprised that I could even hear it based on what I had read..

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just read this entire thread and sorry to ressurect it but... I have been reading for 2 years how quiet and boring the exhaust is on the Type R and I now have like 80 miles on my 2019 R....maybe my expectations were really really low from reading all these things but I think it has a nice refined growl inside. I'm not sure if there is any difference in the 17/18-19 but I was really surprised that I could even hear it based on what I had read..
My 18 is the same. Plenty of volume in the cabin, great sound (which is subjective, so I don't expect everyone to agree) when driving aggressively, and not by any of my own measures, "quiet." Just right, IMO. Only reason I'd do a different exhaust is for substantial power gains AND substantial weight loss. I don't have the scratch for what that costs, though.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Old thread, but I guess some of the hate on the CTR exhaust is the fact that mainly enthusiasts buy these cars and sound is a HUGE part of the driving experience, its what sets a car apart from your neighbor's Toyota Prius. Honda made a huge mistake by designing a car that is the polar opposite of subtle, going through the trouble of giving it a 3 tipped exhaust and a huge wing, and then giving it an exhaust note that is more fitting on your everyday econobox. I feel like since you're already attracting attention with the boy racer looks, what are you really gaining out of a insanely quiet exhaust?

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
I just don't get how Honda could get the exhaust note of the Type R so wrong, and Hyundai who are new to the hot hatch segment get it so right?
If Hyundai can do it this well first try, Honda can do much better.
The Civic Type R is a very special car, I could feel it when I test drove one, but the exhaust note left me so disappointed. It sounds more like a vacuum cleaner than a sports hot hatch.
Doesn't Honda get it, we want a sports exhaust to match the great driving dynamics of the Type R.
Honda if you are listening, please address the exhaust note and improve it for the 2019 model year.
Also Honda if you're listening, I'd like an "individual" setting for the driving modes to be able to adjust everything the way I like it....suspension, throttle, steering, active exhaust etc like in the Hyundai I30N, and Golf R.
Give us the control we want.

Fast forward to the 3:00 minute mark.

Heck, even the Peugeot sounds better than the Type R.
Honda really dropped the ball here.

Honda I want pops and bangs in race mode, not a vacuum cleaner or I would have bought a Hoover.
I like that my car is quite if you want more noise put in a boom box.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Old thread, but I guess some of the hate on the CTR exhaust is the fact that mainly enthusiasts buy these cars and sound is a HUGE part of the driving experience, its what sets a car apart from your neighbor's Toyota Prius. Honda made a huge mistake by designing a car that is the polar opposite of subtle, going through the trouble of giving it a 3 tipped exhaust and a huge wing, and then giving it an exhaust note that is more fitting on your everyday econobox. I feel like since you're already attracting attention with the boy racer looks, what are you really gaining out of a insanely quiet exhaust?
Do you own one and just don't list it?

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Do you own one and just don't list it?
I do not, but I've seen the and heard the CTR enough to get a good understanding of how it sounds. I'm really not trying to hate on the CTR because everyone has different preferences and opinions, but it really just doesn't make sense to me on how Honda put so much effort into designing the car and didn't bother tuning the exhaust to sound more appropriate for the segment.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do not, but I've seen the and heard the CTR enough to get a good understanding of how it sounds. I'm really not trying to hate on the CTR because everyone has different preferences and opinions, but it really just doesn't make sense to me on how Honda put so much effort into designing the car and didn't bother tuning the exhaust to sound more appropriate for the segment.
So, having a child in the car and trying to carry on a conversation with her doing 50, I can say it's not "insanely quiet." I have to ask her to speak up all the time, she hates it (but loves the car and is the devil on my shoulder asking me to go faster :) ). Noise levels are subjective as heck. For me, the level is perfect for everyday driving. Loud enough to add to the experience, not so loud it draws the wrong kind of attention or makes conversations with passengers completely pointless. I may be in the minority, but I honestly think they nailed it. The Hyundai may have pops and crackles but I could care less about that stuff. I also have added a HFC downpipe, so that adds a little too, as does tuning. 2.0L I4s just don't make too sexy of noises, unfortunately.

jinderC

Can’t believe some people are complaining so much about this....the OEM pipes sound the way they do, get over it lol

Just go aftermarket if it makes you cry at night....you can get the tonal characteristics that suit your tastes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Like most I never understood the segment of people that want thier car loud ,popping, banging and what ever other term you can find. I lived in an area where every other person has some sort of obnoxious muffler on thier car. I've moved several times to get away from that crap. Now the guy next door has one on his car and every flippin morning I get woke up and every night can hear his car for several blocks....why... the "sound" of car means diddly. It has zero to do with performance and 100 percent to do with look at me let's piss off the people we have to live around. Im perfectly fine with a quiet car that can smoke all those other cars with "tone". You can sit and listen to your tone while I see you in my rearview. All that sound does nothing but stroke egos and small.....

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
So, having a child in the car and trying to carry on a conversation with her doing 50, I can say it's not "insanely quiet." I have to ask her to speak up all the time, she hates it (but loves the car and is the devil on my shoulder asking me to go faster :) ). Noise levels are subjective as heck. For me, the level is perfect for everyday driving. Loud enough to add to the experience, not so loud it draws the wrong kind of attention or makes conversations with passengers completely pointless. I may be in the minority, but I honestly think they nailed it. The Hyundai may have pops and crackles but I could care less about that stuff. I also have added a HFC downpipe, so that adds a little too, as does tuning. 2.0L I4s just don't make too sexy of noises, unfortunately.
I know what you mean and in a way I get it. Honestly I guess this thing really does boil down to preference. The inner 5 year old in ms will always apppriciate some pops and crackles from out back. I feel like for me personally evem though I dont own a CTR I would have liked to see Honda add a more sport tuned exhaust that has some but not an obnoxious amount of noise from out back, but on the inside it still remains relatively decent which makes it have a nice balance. And yeah obviously a 2.0L 4-cyl can only sound so good, but if you look at what Fiat did with its 1.4L 4-cyl Abarth, it sounds amazing. I bet Honda could have made it sound alright if they tried but it makes up for it in driving dynamics at least.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Like most I never understood the segment of people that want thier car loud ,popping, banging and what ever other term you can find. I lived in an area where every other person has some sort of obnoxious muffler on thier car. I've moved several times to get away from that crap. Now the guy next door has one on his car and every flippin morning I get woke up and every night can hear his car for several blocks....why... the "sound" of car means diddly. It has zero to do with performance and 100 percent to do with look at me let's piss off the people we have to live around. Im perfectly fine with a quiet car that can smoke all those other cars with "tone". You can sit and listen to your tone while I see you in my rearview. All that sound does nothing but stroke egos and small.....
Um...Theres a huge difference between a properly tuned exhaust and a cheap muffler that someone slaps on to add "sound". Its 2018 and most manufacturers have or have recently come out with exhausts that can do the pops and sound nice when you want it to, and be subtle and quiet when needed. and a properly tuned exhaust can actually add performance as well. Also I get you might like you're cars quiet which is fine, but saying that sound means nothing is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Driving is not just for performance, its about driver enjoyment as well and part of that experience for many is the sound, revving out a car and letting it sing while driving on a backroad is a feeling like no other. A feeling that you've obviously have yet to experience.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Um...Theres a huge difference between a properly tuned exhaust and a cheap muffler that someone slaps on to add "sound". Its 2018 and most manufacturers have or have recently come out with exhausts that can do the pops and sound nice when you want it to, and be subtle and quiet when needed. and a properly tuned exhaust can actually add performance as well. Also I get you might like you're cars quiet which is fine, but saying that sound means nothing is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Driving is not just for performance, its about driver enjoyment as well and part of that experience for many is the sound, revving out a car and letting it sing while driving on a backroad is a feeling like no other. A feeling that you've obviously have yet to experience.
Havnt seen my other posts with my driving videos hu... County sounds good to some and crap to others. Car exaust sounf is like smoking, it's great that you enjoy it but you are forcing everyone around you to have to listen to it as well. Go live in a house for 5 years with the guy next door who every morning wakes up your whole house while he let's his tuned v8 rumbling car warm up. To then move to another house where every other car up and down the road you can hear over the tv to then move yet again just to have the guy next door have yet another 5 am wake you up "tuned" car rumble and see is you still like people with those mufflers. You are mistaken if you think I mean crap tin can mufflers. Oh no my friend those deep tuned rumbling ones carry sound. Low end sound penetrates walls easy. You are making everyone around you "enjoy" your car with you weather they like it or not and that's the problem.

pjw7454

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic couple ex-L
Leave the popping noise for the Lamborghini’s. Your driving an overrated golf cart lets just calm down.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m content with how the exhaust sounds in the Type R. It’s nkt excessively loud on the highway, has a nice pitch and once you get above 4K RPM it crescendos all the way to the redline.

I guess on the outside you can’t heae it, but that’s a good thing because it helps you fly under the radar (which admittedly is the opposite of the rest of the car).
Sponsored