How are you even supposed to read this dipstick?

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Honda seriously designed the worst dipstick I've ever seen. Anyways I bought my car from the dealership about a month ago and when I check the oil it honestly looks way overfilled or I can't even tell where the oil level is at. How do people read this dipstick?

Honda Civic 10th gen How are you even supposed to read this dipstick? IMG_20200711_143702

Honda Civic 10th gen How are you even supposed to read this dipstick? IMG_20200711_143700

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Yeah it is a pain to try to get a good reading. What I do is to pull the dipstick out, wipe, put it back in and then pull it out quickly and hold it vertically to see where the level its at.

OP
OP
danfg2

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Yeah it is a pain to try to get a good reading. What I do is to pull the dipstick out, wipe, put it back in and then pull it out quickly and hold it vertically to see where the level its at.
I've done that multiple times and still can't get a good reading...I'm worried that the dealership overfilled it but I haven't noticed any issues after a month of driving

mocaSi

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si & 2016 Honda Fit
Country flag
Yeah these new dipsticks suck. Wish they'd stick with older style sticks. Best thing to do for now is a quick oil change yourself and put in the exact amount called for.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
My trick is to use a shop towel/paper towel, and thoroughly thoroughly dry it off. Completely bone dry. Then insert and pull back out and look at it at and angle to a light source, and the line of the moist area versus dry is pretty well defined and obvious when reflecting some light

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Make sure the car is warm, turn it off and let it sit for a few minutes.

Yank dipstick and wipe it off completely. Put dipstick back in for a couple seconds, then pull it out again and get it horizontal as quickly as possible.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have no problems whatsoever reading the dipstick,

I just tilt it in a way light is reflecting off it, and it's easy to see the level,

You should always be holding it vertically, never horizontal or the oil could drip up the stick slightly and give you a false higher reading
How does holding it vertically keep it from dripping off or sliding down the stick? Holding it horizontally cups the oil inside the orange plastic piece.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you hold the dipstick vertically, or let's say on a 45 degree angle, your still going to be able to see the highest point of the oil level,

If you hold it horizontally, there is a chance the oil can go sideways "up" the dipstick, giving you a false reading
I’d say I give it a good 45 or 60 degrees

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
How does holding it vertically keep it from dripping off or sliding down the stick? Holding it horizontally cups the oil inside the orange plastic piece.
I think he meant hold it right side up vertically. Not upside down.
Sponsored