How many of you are clutch to the floor between shifts?

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan • 03 Kawi ZX-6R 636
Country flag
Like the title asks... how many of you are clutch to the floor between every shift (not including starting in 1st from a stop), or are you a just past the release point?

I'm a just past the release point clutcher, always have been with every manual I've had including my motorcycle, and have never had to replace a clutch prematurely. With my bike, I rarely clutch upshifts; I do clutch and blip downshifts. I've always found that shifting is smoother and a less jerky when not clutching to the floor.

Just curious about y'all's various driving styles.

Edit: This is for normal driving, not spirited, or hard, which I do clutch to the floor because you shift a lot faster when driving this way, and are releasing the clutch a lot faster.
Sponsored

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
People clutch to the floor? Are people fast enough to clutch down/up shift while doing that

Same with me, clutch past the release point

OP
OP
jlamb30

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
People clutch to the floor? Are people fast enough to clutch down/up shift while doing that

Yes, some actually do... I've ridden with them and every clutch pedal release is a different level of jerk, because they never hit the engagement point the same for each shift. ?

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
I floor the clutch because sometimes when half clutching the shifter has this weird lock out that the shifter would pop out the gear you try to go in rattling up and down til it’s back in neutral. Still happens rarely with clutch to the floor so I double clutch whenever that starts occurring. Also I’ve done a clutchless shift from 2nd to 3rd before only once. I was curious if it was possible since you can go neutral clutchless timing the rev hang right. Very tight window for the si unlike my friends 2012 Mazda 3 where it has a much larger window

Jfuston

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I think it's one of those things that just because you "can" do it doesn't mean you "should" do it. While Honda's are a little more able to take clutchless shifts, its still not a dogbox or sequential transmission so probably best not. Here's a guy that talks about it starting at 5 minutes:

I floor the clutch because sometimes when half clutching the shifter has this weird lock out that the shifter would pop out the gear you try to go in rattling up and down til it’s back in neutral. Still happens rarely with clutch to the floor so I double clutch whenever that starts occurring. Also I’ve done a clutchless shift from 2nd to 3rd before only once. I was curious if it was possible since you can go neutral clutchless timing the rev hang right. Very tight window for the si unlike my friends 2012 Mazda 3 where it has a much larger window

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I always try to remember to clutch to the floor.

The revs drop so slowly while upshifting (even with rev-hang "removed") I could push my clutch all the way to the floor, take a sip of coffee, comb my hair, and take a bite of my bagel before the revs reach the smooth point for engaging the next gear. Unless you are going race-mode while downshifting, your throttle foot gets to decide how long you'll have to shift for a smooth transition, so if you need a little more time just give it a stronger blip.

OP
OP
jlamb30

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think it's one of those things that just because you "can" do it doesn't mean you "should" do it. While Honda's are a little more able to take clutchless shifts, its still not a dogbox or sequential transmission so probably best not. Here's a guy that talks about it starting at 5 minutes:
I wouldn't do it in a car. Very easy and quick on a sequential gearbox motorcycle. Close the throttle, shift up into the next gear, and hammer the throttle again. Very quick and effortless. You can even preload the shifter (if you don't mind replacing your shift forks early) for quicker shifts.

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
Ha!
I didn't know. I had to wait till I drove the car again to find out.
Yup, all the way to the floor every time.
Same with motorcycles, clutch lever all the way in. And I know a lot of guys don't do that on bikes.
Maybe it's growing up driving old cars that needed all the help they could get. I'm 67.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
I always try to remember to clutch to the floor.

The revs drop so slowly while upshifting (even with rev-hang "removed") I could push my clutch all the way to the floor, take a sip of coffee, comb my hair, and take a bite of my bagel before the revs reach the smooth point for engaging the next gear. Unless you are going race-mode while downshifting, your throttle foot gets to decide how long you'll have to shift for a smooth transition, so if you need a little more time just give it a stronger blip.
Why does the revs drop so slow compared to some slightly older manuals? Even in non sport cars without fancy flywheels the rev just drops like a rock.

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
Why does the revs drop so slow compared to some slightly older manuals? Even in non sport cars without fancy flywheels the rev just drops like a rock.
The 32 lbs dual mass flywheel is the cause. Even 9th gen Si’s had 18-19lbs stock flywheels.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Clutch to floor driver checking in here ?. This is my second manual car and it’s just out of habit I guess still. I’m definitely going to try without going all the way to see if I can perfect it even better.
Sponsored