Insurance Topic how does it look to insure a type R? Geico doesn't have Type R as a quote?

islander670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (Sold), 2019 Clarity, 2020 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm with State Farm and they had a hard time finding Civic Type R in their list. As some members here mentioned, they just categorize it as Civic Hatchback. I pay close to $500 every 6 months with a 1k deductible. Also, we keep our miles low so that helps.
Sponsored

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
Interesting yours is a 2020 and they still put it as a hatch??? I know they had issues at first in 2017 finding the cars but in 2020 they should have fixed that. mine was put in correctly as a type R and I have gieco. Another interesting thing is my Si was higher insurance then the R . Maybe the fact yall have them in as hatches changes something? cause I dont pay anywhere near what some of you are paying.
I just looked at my ID cards and it's just identified as a civic. I do remember telling the agent it was a civic hatchback and that is what she used.

I do have an unblemished driving record with no tickets or accidents over the past 6-7 years and I'm much older than the average driver on here.

islander670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (Sold), 2019 Clarity, 2020 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just looked at my ID cards and it's just identified as a civic. I do remember telling the agent it was a civic hatchback and that is what she used.

I do have an unblemished driving record with no tickets or accidents over the past 6-7 years and I'm much older than the average driver on here.
Mine says the same, just Civic. LOL

JGood757

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I always heard people complain about USAA being high but mine is only 550 for 6 months.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I always heard people complain about USAA being high but mine is only 550 for 6 months.
USAA high? Never heard that. I used to get calls from insurance companies wanting to quote me. When I told them I had USAA they would hang up on me because they couldn't beat the price. Maybe that'snot true anymore, but I've never heard that they are high.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
yeah and a motorcycle is basically a bicycle with some "umph" :rolleyes1:

that isn't how the insurance companies will see it,

they arn't stupid, they know people are buying a car like that specifically for that "umph"

they know the reason why people buy cars like this, and they know how people will drive cars like this

too many variables come into play with insurance....age, driving record, experience, location, etc etc, you can't compare your policy to someone elses, no two are alike
They kind of are stupid though. Gieco considers my CR-Z a "sports" car because that's what honda decided to call it, and because it's 2 door it's a coupe, not a hatchback. Other companies call it a hybrid. I doubt they're putting a lot of effort or thought into how different trims in a model actually differ from one another.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
American Family lists my 2019 as a Honda Civic Type R 5 Dr. so they know what it is. $511 for six months $250 deductible. However I agree with the poster above it depends on many factors specific to the one who is seeking the insurance, age, driving record, credit score and home address just to mention a few factors.

Back in the day I bought a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger(factory installed V8 in a small British sports car Thanks to Carol Shelby). Went to my insurance guy to get insurance(Allstate) and all he could find was the rate for a Sunbeam Alpine(same body style with a four banger under the hood) so he gave me that rate. I tried to explain and be honest but he blew me off. Of course that was before computers!!

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
I use Country Financial, full coverage, $1000 deductible (pretty sure it's $1000) and I pay $135 a month. My previous insurance wanted over $300 for the same coverage

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
I did a test the other day with my insurance (Progressive).
Was really surprised that it was around $120 more cheaper to insure a 2020 Civic Type R than my actual car (2015 Lancer Ralliart) for a 6 month period.
That is unbelievable.

Broin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW Type R, '19 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
I'm currently with Geico. I also noticed they don't have a Type R option, but I gave them my VIN number and they listed the vehicle as a Civic Hatch as well. They have the proper info on my end so I would like to say I wouldn't be liable for misrepresentation, but I'm not an expert. I have full coverage (married, two cars, two drivers, WA State) and a $500 deductible. I'm paying about $80/mo for my Type R.

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
I must be old AF, I'm only paying $262/6 mos. with Geico. I do also have 3 cars and a house with them so I'm probably banking some discounts.

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
I'm currently with Geico. I also noticed they don't have a Type R option, but I gave them my VIN number and they listed the vehicle as a Civic Hatch as well. They have the proper info on my end so I would like to say I wouldn't be liable for misrepresentation, but I'm not an expert. I have full coverage (married, two cars, two drivers, WA State) and a $500 deductible. I'm paying about $80/mo for my Type R.
I had called before I got the car to check on how much it would cost. I gave them the civic hatchback type r option then and the insurance cost was exactly the same as what I received after I actually got the car and put the same insurance package on it. I agree that when you give them the VIN # they know exactly what make and model it is.

Wait till you have a claim and it's denied, because of misrepresentation on your part ;)

I'm well aware of misrepresenting facts to the insurance company and it's affects since I'm a legal videography and have recorded dozens of depositions regarding this very thing.

JGood757

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
USAA high? Never heard that. I used to get calls from insurance companies wanting to quote me. When I told them I had USAA they would hang up on me because they couldn't beat the price. Maybe that'snot true anymore, but I've never heard that they are high.
yeah all the time ! everytime I tell people I work with I'm with them the response is always why ?? When I was early 20s I had RSX-S and they charged me super high. I was paying about 250 a month. But I'm 30 now and no crashes or tickets so its paying off.
Sponsored