IHadToRun

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
So I’m starting to want to get an actual product for tuning. I’ve done a bit of research and have seen the pros and cons of hondata and ktuner but can’t seem to choose which I’d prefer. If y’all could toss in your thoughts on this subject and try to sway me I’d appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For the traction control feature alone, Hondata is worth the money, plus it comes with many calibrations that support the most common bolt-ons. I ran it for 8 months without any issue. No comment on Ktuner as I've no experience with it on FK8.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata vs Ktuner 2019/2020 upload_2019-12-11_1-5-35

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had Ktuner before Flashpro. Ktuner does not have that many calibrations to choose from and does not have all the features that hondata offers...hence why I went with hondata's Flashpro

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
I have Ktuner and it is a good product. Although there aren't as many calibrations what they have is done very well. However at this very moment if I was going to purchase one I would say Hondata since Ktuner hasn't released any updated features in awhile (traction control, flex fuel, high flow fuel pump). But it seems to be a bunch of politics that is holding ktuner back currently releasing things.

Jaydubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TypeR
Country flag
I had my KTuner for over a year. I just sold it and bought Hondata after being tired of never getting any updates or even any hints of progress of new features for probably a year now, the last update just being a way to change fan thresholds. Meanwhile Hondata now has a high flow fuel pump, traction control, flex fuel, antilag, and a shitton of basemaps.

The touchscreen is nifty, but nothing you can't do with honda hack and the head unit.

That being said, updates aside, KTuner is a pretty solid product and the tunes they do have are done quite well. I'd say that if you plan on going to a tuner and don't plan on doing fuel upgrades soon (aka want more than 400hp), ask them which they prefer. If you aren't planning on going to a tuner, get Hondata.

And who knows, KTuner could have a ton under wraps.. especially since PRL's flex fuel kit has KTuner stamped on the front of it. Why would a KTuner badge be on a Type R flex fuel kit when KTuner doesn't support flex fuel yet?

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
Since @Jaydubs mentioned flex fuel. Believe Rob said Ktuner could add this feature but wasn't going to until the fuel limitations of the FK8 was sorted out.

Jaydubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TypeR
Country flag
One more thing I forgot to mention that may be relevant/important to you: any KTuner works on any Honda they support, whereas Hondata FlashPros are model-locked. You still can only lock it to one car at a time.

You'll have an easier time selling a KTuner than a Hondata, because you can sell it to the Si, Sport, etc communities.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
One more thing I forgot to mention that may be relevant/important to you: any KTuner works on any Honda they support, whereas Hondata FlashPros are model-locked. You still can only lock it to one car at a time.

You'll have an easier time selling a KTuner than a Hondata, because you can sell it to the Si, Sport, etc communities.
I was looking for this answer! I have a FA5 with Ktuner and was wondering if it would work with the Type R since it's not model specific besides sending the Type R ecu to get it hacked.

I feel depending on your goals, talk to your shop or tuner and see what they want to tune on. I've seen people lean towards Hondata and hating on Ktuner for no reason. I got Ktuner since that's what my tuner wants to use. My next question would be what would happen if you switch from ktuner to flashpro? Would you need a new ecu to get hacked?

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
I switched from KTuner to Hondata, due to the same reasons already stated by other posters (lack of updates, Hondata has more features, etc.) and have no regrets. No need to get a new ECU to get hacked. If you already unlocked the ECU for KTuner, it should work with Hondata.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I have KTuner and have no plans to switch to Hondata. I’ll get a lot of hate but the features to me aren’t beneficial and the stock maps are junk. The cars are run way too lean and I’ve seen first hand of people screwing up their cars on Hondata basemaps. Most recently a buddy of mine blew his turbo at laguna using Hondata.

Flex fuel isn’t fully developed yet and isn’t worth considering IMO.

Traction control is a gimmick at best.

OP
OP
IHadToRun

IHadToRun

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
I have KTuner and have no plans to switch to Hondata. I’ll get a lot of hate but the features to me aren’t beneficial and the stock maps are junk. The cars are run way too lean and I’ve seen first hand of people screwing up their cars on Hondata basemaps. Most recently a buddy of mine blew his turbo at laguna using Hondata.

Do you run custom tune? Or a base map? I'm only planning on running a base map.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Do you run custom tune? Or a base map? I'm only planning on running a base map.
I am currently running the “Stage 1” basemap from Ktuner. Derek from IMW actually helped with the base tunes for Ktuner which is why they’re so good. I will be custom tuned shortly by Derek once my PRL DP and turbo inlet pipe arrive. I would also like to point out that while tuned I have had 0 issues at all on the road or on track

Last edited:
OP
OP
IHadToRun

IHadToRun

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
I am currently running the “Stage 1” basemap from Ktuner. Derek from IMW actually helped with the base tunes for Ktuner which is why they’re so good. I will be custom tuned shortly by Derek once my PRL DP and turbo inlet pipe arrive. I would also like to point out that while tuned I have had 0 issues at all on the road or on track
What would i expect from 91 octane from ktuner? Can't seem to find anything on 91 only 93.

18RRtypeR

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R #6850, 2015 Toyota TRD PRO 4Runner
Country flag

:agree:
Sponsored