Honda Civic Type R purchasing process

OP
OP
A2typeR

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
I just talked to my dealer tonight and asked him if he had any new information etc.

I told him a few people have claimed that their dealers are allowing them to select colors and such.

He told me that was BS and that Honda hasn't released any real information or even a timeline for release.

He also said that most dealers will be getting one upon the initial release.

Another note was that because they were one of the highest sales volume dealers in Michigan that they would probably get another a few weeks after the release.

For those that had dealers let them select a color and such? How did they do that when literally no real information on the vehicle has been released? Other than a few unverified tid bits from some forum insiders.

I'm inclined to believe my dealer seeing as Honda hasn't realeased any information and the dealer I'm going through has a highly rated reputation and reviews.
Sponsored

iceberg384

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R, 2013 Honda CR-V
I put my deposit down for a black Type-R at a dealership in NY. My brother used to work there so they take care of me. Only selling it 1k above MSRP.

Reactions: Evo

Evo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer Evolution
Country flag
My dealer isn't sure of any order details as no details are in fact available, not pricing or options. Nothing.

jdmk20akid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic w/ B18c5, 2016 Honda Accord EX w/ Honda Sensing
Country flag
I just talked to my dealer tonight and asked him if he had any new information etc.

I told him a few people have claimed that their dealers are allowing them to select colors and such.

He told me that was BS and that Honda hasn't released any real information or even a timeline for release.

Another note was that because they were one of the highest sales volume dealers in Michigan that they would probably get another a few weeks after the release.

For those that had dealers let them select a color and such? How did they do that when literally no real information on the vehicle has been released? Other than a few unverified tid bits from some forum insiders.

I'm inclined to believe my dealer seeing as Honda hasn't realeased any information and the dealer I'm going through has a highly rated reputation and reviews.
It's very real.

Our regional Honda rep came in last week, and I followed up with her on it to make sure management had been honest with me. She said that she had no new info on release dates or anything (and I could tell by how annoyed she was, that I'm not the only sales rep that's asked lol), but that she did "put in an order for a white one".

The reality of the situation is Honda is getting corporate regional reps to get orders so that these dealerships can have at least one during the release. It's makes complete sense.

Maybe the particular person you got that info from doesn't have direct contact with the regional rep. But I can assure you it's very real.

Side note: he's not completely lying. Even though these reps are taking an initial order for one doesn't mean they are giving the dealerships any additional information about release dates, time frames, specs, etc. But there are for sure placing orders for single units.

OP
OP
A2typeR

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
I'm not saying your a liar, but other than her saying she "ordered you a white one". Was any type of order for submitted, like an actually piece of paper from the dealer to the regional rep.

I'm just wondering because my dealer just met with our regional rep last week and he said no new information.

Is it possible for some regional reps to know more than others?

Again this will be my first Honda purchase. I'm not used to all the secret backdoor dealings. Did I do the secret handshake wrong or something?

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's very real.

Our regional Honda rep came in last week, and I followed up with her on it to make sure management had been honest with me. She said that she had no new info on release dates or anything (and I could tell by how annoyed she was, that I'm not the only sales rep that's asked lol), but that she did "put in an order for a white one".

The reality of the situation is Honda is getting corporate regional reps to get orders so that these dealerships can have at least one during the release. It's makes complete sense.

Maybe the particular person you got that info from doesn't have direct contact with the regional rep. But I can assure you it's very real.

Side note: he's not completely lying. Even though these reps are taking an initial order for one doesn't mean they are giving the dealerships any additional information about release dates, time frames, specs, etc. But there are for sure placing orders for single units.
This^
My dealer Rep had the Regional Rep put in a "request" for a CW CTR. It doesn't guarantee anything, it's just a request. Dealerships that don't make any requests will just get what they get, obviously. I'd rather my dealer be proactive, even if it doesn't work. I have to imagine that if a Regional Rep makes a request that Honda will accommodate, if they are able.

ZdH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ACURA TSX Superchrged, 2010 Honda Accord, 1999 Honda Accord
Country flag
It's very real.

The route I went was by talking with the fleet manager since Nov of 2016. We've kept in contact since then and it's been between him and the regional. He gave me a purchase order had me pick my color and said that it was being given to the regional, Regional said they would give the requested allocation to the dealers with deposits. The regional have the control of once the cars hit the State/Zone deciding what trims/colors get sent to what dealer In there respected regions. This is per Arizona region. The other people I've talked including managers have no clue at all. They communicate much between the regionals seems like the Fleet managers do most of it.

iceberg384

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R, 2013 Honda CR-V
My dealer isn't sure of any order details as no details are in fact available, not pricing or options. Nothing.
the car will be officially unveiled in Geneva, Switzerland at the auto show March 9th and I will be there. The dealer is guessing around 40k

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Lol not trying to bash any members here who work for Honda, the only few people who know the ACTUAL specs and price of the Type R are the people in the higher ups of Honda, I wouldn't be surprised if the specs are leaked a couple days before Geneva also.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Squeaky wheel gets the grease in most instances. I put my (refundable) deposit down in November of 2015 at my local dealership and check in with them every month or so, just to let them know my interest level. I'd be happy to copy & paste the actual e-mails from my dealer rep. Not that they have any more information than any other dealer, but I have everything in writing (not that means anything until a contract is signed). I had several reps at this same dealership who knew zero about the CTR. Heck, some of them knew little about the hatch until a few weeks before it hit the lot. I kept asking until I found someone that was engaged & proactive. You can tell a lot about a rep by asking questions that you already know the answers to. If they b.s. you, then find another.

HondaMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord EX V6 2015 Honda Accord Coupe
ZdH,

The Arizona rep that works with the fleet manager you are working with to purchase your CTR is the same rep that communicated to us that the release has been delayed until June-July.

Has the fleet manager said anything to you about the delay?

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Sorry, I can't so anything except chuckle at those who have put money down on a car that isn't a product for purchase yet. All of the conflicting information from those who seem to have a foot in with regional reps and people who have spoke with various people at the dealership level is enough to make me believe that Honda is being super tight lipped. There is no 'insider knowledge' at this point.

A foaming at the mouth customer waiving money in the face of a salesperson is a salesman's wet dream. Please never forget that, even when this car becomes a reality for purchase. This is the reason that Ford dealers are getting $10-$15k plus sticker for a $40k car.

Again, kudos to whomever has 'gotten in line' or 'secured a car'. If that is your thing, more power to you. My opinion from a former car-salesman, buyer, flipper, market and trend watching enthusiast ...you've been taken advantage of. But it seems that with the sheer amount of conflicting information about when, how much, and how many....no one really knows and anyone who says they do is laughable at this point.

Wait another month for real information to become available.

Last edited:

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
the car will be officially unveiled in Geneva, Switzerland at the auto show March 9th and I will be there. The dealer is guessing around 40k
40k MSRP? That's STI territory. There's a lot of people that won't buy it if it goes over into the 40s MSRP. That's pretty up there on price. I would have to take a second look at what I am doing if it is too much over 40.

Also as for the taking requests for colors mentioned in this thread, as I mentioned before, none of the dealers I have talked to in the state (GMs of each) say they have heard anything about that at all. Some of these are dealers that I have dealt with for years, and some just since last year so I've got the whole spectrum here. Sounds like different regional reps are jumping the gun here based on what I have read in this thread so far. It's only been AZ and the Carolinas it looks like from the locations listed? I highly doubt other regional reps would just not do anything related to this car when Honda gave them the go ahead to take requests, makes zero sense. I fully believe you had those conversations with the regional managers, but something doesn't add up in all this. As JYR mentioned above, sounds like they took advantage of the fact that everyone is impatiently waiting for details and pre-sold a car that is not even close to being ready for purchase yet it seems.

Reactions: JYR

asiandeity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Civic SI, 2017 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've spoken to two dealers in my area, and they both told me that their Honda rep had called them to ask them what color they wanted. One wanted a black one and the other wanted a white and red one. I'd ask the latter if there were any official colors for the Type R, and he stated nothing was official yet, and that he'd let me know when more details become available. Basically, there are no specs except the possibility of colors. Neither of them would take a deposit since no info was available.

BABear70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017' Honda Civic Type R in Ralley Red R-04344, 2016' Honda Civic Touring Sedan in Ralley Red, 1997' Honda Civic CX Hatchback in Electron Blue Pearl
Country flag

I'll elaborate on how we found out about the "pre-allocations."

One of my co-workers comes from a dealer up north and he saw his ex-dealer principal (ie OWNER) post on Facebook that he had just "ordered" his 1st Type R with Honda. Now, he is the OWNER of the Honda dealer my co-worker came from just a few months back, not a manager or such. He even posted on Facebook the "official" color swatches for the 2018' Civic Type R (which are the colors I have been talking about here). I believe him (I saw the Facebook posting) because this Dealer Principal is young and an enthusiast and he actually owns an imported JDM Integra Type R.

After hearing this I spoke to my General Sales Manager and asked him if he had heard anything about this and he stated NO... He then texted our regional Rep and the Rep responded that "yes, we have a pre-allocation" and that we needed to pick a color. Championship White was chosen and that was it.

When the rep came in last Saturday I personally asked if there where any new News on the Type R and the rep told me "the only thing I can tell you is that you all are getting one and its going to be White." No additional info on timing or pricing at all.

So, there you go on the whole story...

Now, I do not think our Rep is being dishonest here but I also believe that each region is being handled very differently and that should not be the case. That's what's making this process so unnecessarily confusing.

Regards,

BA...
Sponsored